RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hard left turn noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 09:33 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard left turn noise

Just got my 2013 RX 350 CPO and been driving it for 2 weeks without any problem.
But today when I was trying to steer my wheel all the way to the left (car was parked) and I heard rubbing noise coming from wheel base. It only happens when making hard left steering not right.
I read online and seems like it's a common problem for wheel bearing for Lexus cars.
I'm setting up an appt with Lexus this coming weekend but not sure what to expect and how they will address the problem.
Anyone else here had the same problem from your Rx?
Old 04-27-15, 12:34 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

If they agree the wheel bearing is bad after checking then they will replace it, hopefully under warranty. This usually involves replacing the entire hub assembly as the bearings are integral and are not easily removed. No alignment is needed afterward.

How many miles are on it?
Old 04-27-15, 12:42 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If they agree the wheel bearing is bad after checking then they will replace it, hopefully under warranty. This usually involves replacing the entire hub assembly as the bearings are integral and are not easily removed. No alignment is needed afterward.

How many miles are on it?
29k miles on the car when I bought it now 30k.
I read online says they could fix it temp by adding oil but this issue will come back again later on. Best to replace it. Not sure if its true.
Old 04-27-15, 04:35 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Should it be an early bearing failure I'm guessing a rubber boot surrounding it had a rip.This would allow foreign material intrusion, dirt & water, something most bearings don't like.
Old 04-28-15, 06:49 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

It is the Constant Velocity Joints (CVJ) that have the rubber bellows like boots that can rip from road hazards or crack from age/mileage. They are inboard of the wheel bearings which are part of the knuckle/hub assembly to which your tire is bolted. The CVJ boots are more likely to fail than a wheel bearing seal, but the ripped boot is easily detected, just slide under the front bumper and look up, squeeze the boot, look for grease thrown everywhere if the boot is torn. A failed wheel bearing seal is, from my many years of repairing my own cars, very rare. I think it would most likely be due to a manufacturing defect. Look for grease around the inboard side of the wheel hub, next to the CVJ. I doubt they would repack it with grease and send you on your way. I think it should be under warranty. Let us know what the dealer diagnoses. Good luck!
Old 04-28-15, 10:35 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is the Constant Velocity Joints (CVJ) that have the rubber bellows like boots that can rip from road hazards or crack from age/mileage. They are inboard of the wheel bearings which are part of the knuckle/hub assembly to which your tire is bolted. The CVJ boots are more likely to fail than a wheel bearing seal, but the ripped boot is easily detected, just slide under the front bumper and look up, squeeze the boot, look for grease thrown everywhere if the boot is torn. A failed wheel bearing seal is, from my many years of repairing my own cars, very rare. I think it would most likely be due to a manufacturing defect. Look for grease around the inboard side of the wheel hub, next to the CVJ. I doubt they would repack it with grease and send you on your way. I think it should be under warranty. Let us know what the dealer diagnoses. Good luck!
Thanks, will leave the car with Lexus this wkend. Will post here once it's done.
Old 05-08-15, 09:16 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Just wanna post an update:
dealer took my car on Sat and worked on it on Monday morning and then in the early afternoon they told me they couldn't duplicate the sound and couldn't find any issues with those bearings. So, they just simplely oiled them up for me.
Now those noises are back, this time on both left and right turn and I've noticed it only happens during cold start and only happens for the first few turns then the sound would go away. I called them back and they told me they only checked front bearings but I told them sound I heard sounds like from the back wheel.
Now I'm taking my car to another dealer which I bought my car from and hopefully they will do a better job at this.
Old 05-10-15, 08:18 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you go through another trip to the dealer, try this:
Spray down, absolutely soak, all 4 coil springs with a rust inhibitor.
I've seen tiny grains of sand/debris get lodged between the lower coil loop & the perch it sits on.
As the weight shifts from turning, the spring will compress on the outside & expand on the inside.
It can generate a creaking sound. Might be what you are describing.

Spray the suspension bushings down too. They can dry up a bit over time & generate the same sound.
Old 05-11-15, 01:57 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Before you go through another trip to the dealer, try this:
Spray down, absolutely soak, all 4 coil springs with a rust inhibitor.
I've seen tiny grains of sand/debris get lodged between the lower coil loop & the perch it sits on.
As the weight shifts from turning, the spring will compress on the outside & expand on the inside.
It can generate a creaking sound. Might be what you are describing.

Spray the suspension bushings down too. They can dry up a bit over time & generate the same sound.
Thanks, I don't have the tools and knowledge to do that at home but will for sure pass on the suggestion to the dealership. Hope that will solve the problem.