RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extend CPO Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 12:20 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extend CPO Warranty?

I expect to take delivery of a 2013 RX450H with 13,500 miles that's CPO from my local dealer. The CPO warranty is 3 years or 100K miles from the date I take delivery. I'm a low mileage driver so that part is irrelevant. They are offering me a 2 year extension, out to 5 years, for a discounted $1575. I really have no idea how long I'll keep the RX, but I generally don't last more than 3 years. If I were to trade the car in, I could get a prorated refund on the unused portion. I would not want my payment to increase, so I'd have to pay for the warranty upfront. Thoughts on extended the CPO warranty fromt he group would be greatly appreciated. I'll have to make a decision in the next few days.
They're also offering wheel and tire hazard coverage. It's pricey though. $715 3 years $1000 5. They claim that's it's through Lexus and tires would be replaced rather than patched. I'm thinking I'll take my chances there.
TIA
Old 04-20-15, 01:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Dadofruth, here is a thread discussing extended warranties. Just disregard comments about buying it from out of state dealers. Lexus doesn't allow that anymore. It's true you will get a prorated refund if you change your mind. But it sounds like you probably won't keep the RX long enough. CPO should be enough. Wheel and tire hazard might be good if you've had back luck in the past. Still it would take three replacement tires to break even on the three year coverage. I'd say the odds are in your favor. And skip everything else they offer.
Old 04-20-15, 01:14 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Dadofruth, here is a thread discussing extended warranties. Just disregard comments about buying it from out of state dealers. Lexus doesn't allow that anymore. It's true you will get a prorated refund if you change your mind. But it sounds like you probably won't keep the RX long enough. CPO should be enough. Wheel and tire hazard might be good if you've had back luck in the past. Still it would take three replacement tires to break even on the three year coverage. I'd say the odds are in your favor. And skip everything else they offer.
FWIW what if I did keep the vehicle beyond 3 years? Is there any real value in this warranty for the cost?
I read the thread. Good info there. I'll have to weigh it carefully.

Last edited by Dadofruth; 04-20-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 01:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Dadofruth, I'm not familiar with the wheel hazard to know what happens. You'll have to read the fine print. With the extended warranty you can get a prorated refund or transfer to the new owner for a small fee. And I think you have 30 days to change your mind from the day you purchase it. One repair can pay for it. That's happened to me. Or you may have good luck and not use it at all. Think of it as a kind of insurance.
Old 04-20-15, 01:28 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Dadofruth, I'm not familiar with the wheel hazard to know what happens. You'll have to read the fine print. With the extended warranty you can get a prorated refund or transfer to the new owner for a small fee. And I think you have 30 days to change your mind from the day you purchase it. One repair can pay for it. That's happened to me. Or you may have good luck and not use it at all. Think of it as a kind of insurance.
The Tire and Wheel insurance is very good, BUT will the usage meet or exceed the cost? I doubt it highly. I have this on my current vehicle and have used it twice for tire repair. I generally do not have issues with tire repair.
I understand on the warranty extension though. This vehicle has nav and alot more. I suppose insurance is always a good thing to have. My only real hesitation is due to my decision not to roll the cost of any additional items into the sale. I'll have to weigh it carefully. I was not told that I had 30 days to change my mind though. Thanks for all of the perspective.
Old 04-21-15, 06:58 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are a low mileage driver, I would take the gamble and not worry about the extended warranty...

I see your location is NY... are you in the city? that might be a consideration for the wheel and tire protection if you drive the car in the winter... the craters in the city are horrendous and I have bent plenty of wheels on the West Side Highway...
Old 04-23-15, 05:34 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by kamlung
if you are a low mileage driver, I would take the gamble and not worry about the extended warranty...

I see your location is NY... are you in the city? that might be a consideration for the wheel and tire protection if you drive the car in the winter... the craters in the city are horrendous and I have bent plenty of wheels on the West Side Highway...
I'm in Syracuse and not the NY Metro area. Thanks.
EDIT: For an additional $4.xx per month I went with the 3 year plan on the wheels and tires. It's $715 upfront, but I let it go into the deal.

Last edited by Dadofruth; 04-24-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 08:11 AM
jebryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dadofruth
I expect to take delivery of a 2013 RX450H with 13,500 miles that's CPO from my local dealer. The CPO warranty is 3 years or 100K miles from the date I take delivery. I'm a low mileage driver so that part is irrelevant. They are offering me a 2 year extension, out to 5 years, for a discounted $1575. I really have no idea how long I'll keep the RX, but I generally don't last more than 3 years. If I were to trade the car in, I could get a prorated refund on the unused portion. I would not want my payment to increase, so I'd have to pay for the warranty upfront. Thoughts on extended the CPO warranty fromt he group would be greatly appreciated. I'll have to make a decision in the next few days.
They're also offering wheel and tire hazard coverage. It's pricey though. $715 3 years $1000 5. They claim that's it's through Lexus and tires would be replaced rather than patched. I'm thinking I'll take my chances there.
TIA
I got my wheel and tire hazard coverage for 3 years at $600 even through Lexus as I was finalizing in the finance dept. I just bought an IS F-sport and I saw online that OEM rim replacements were $$$. On the RX, there is ALOT more sidewall to protect the rim, so I wouldn't be as concerned about getting it.
Old 04-28-15, 12:59 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Dealer was gonna charge me $2600 for extra 3 years of warranty after my CPO when I bought my RX a few weeks ago. What a rip off now I realize it normally costs around $1600-1800.
But even at $1600, Im not sure if it's worth it but I'm intended to keep the car for over 5 years and with low mileage.
Btw, is it possible to add/negotiate ext warranty after I took delivery of my CPO RX?