RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended warranty and tire protection warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 03:37 PM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty and tire protection warranty

Anyone feel the extended warranty : 7 years/75k for $2300 worth it? I drive about 6500 miles per YEAR!

My 2001 has 80k miles.

I've got 19" michelins. And the wheel warranty is $799. Worth it in my case?

I just got my 2013rx350 yesterday. Drove it briefly and enjoyed it. Just need to get used to all the buttons.

Thanks
Old 08-20-12, 07:17 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are several other threads on this topic from recent weeks/months you may want to explore here via search, but net is, opinions on the value appear pretty extreme -- either believing in the value, or would never ever consider it.

In my personal situation, i also have very low mileage on my vehicles. I buy the extended Lexus warranty with high years and lowest miles and zero deductible, but only the tire warranty if my vehicle has run flats because of their greater cost (which the RX does not have). Other threads have more detail, but I buy the ext warranty for the piece of mind having no major expenses over the life of my vehicle. Given I keep my vehicles 5-7 years, and even with the great reliability of Lexus, it has paid off for me in all my vehicles I've had it on but one. If you do go looking to purchase ext Lexus warranties, be sure to explore internet based dealers that sell the same Lexus Ext warranty as your local dealer such as fd-warranty.com who from my experience can almost always quote a better price than your dealer, or if you get his quote in advance of closing with your local dealer will provide you a lot of leverage with your local negotiation. FYI, I paid less than your $2300 expectation given this approach.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-12, 09:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the wheel warranty, I've never had a wheel fail on a Lexus in the last 18 years. So it would only be valuable for the tires; which a whole new set might be $800 - $1,200. I think you can go down to Discount Tires or a similar tire place that you like in your area and buy road hazard protection for the tires for something like $125. The warranty can be discounted and if you search the threads you might find some good referrals to people (at other dealerships, even Toyota dealerships) that can sell you the same warranty. In evaluating it's worth, remember you can buy it at any point up to the end of your 4 year basic warranty; it does not have to be purchased immediately. Also, remember the car has a 6 year powertrain warranty. In general, Lexus cars are reliable and there is no way to know if you are going to be the one person that ends up with an expensive repair.
Old 08-21-12, 12:49 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search and you will find the names of several dealers that will offer you the same Lexus warranty for for less then $2300. Paid about half that for mine. A Lexus warranty is a Lexus warranty. It will be honored at ANY Lexus dealer.
Old 08-21-12, 01:37 PM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for their input. I just called the dealer and the exact michelin 19" tire with labor and tax is $409. I'm gonna pass on the warranty.
Old 09-03-12, 07:29 AM
CharlieP
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I recently bought a 2010 rx350 with about 3,000 miles on a set of 19" Michelins. At $350/each for replacement I was curious what my options for protection were. I went to Discount Tire and was able to purchase their 100% road hazard warranty for $190. That includes free balance and rotation as well as free replacement/repair for the life of the tires. A balance and rotation runs about $40 so that alone pays for itself!
Old 09-03-12, 10:15 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieP
I recently bought a 2010 rx350 with about 3,000 miles on a set of 19" Michelins. At $350/each for replacement I was curious what my options for protection were. I went to Discount Tire and was able to purchase their 100% road hazard warranty for $190. That includes free balance and rotation as well as free replacement/repair for the life of the tires. A balance and rotation runs about $40 so that alone pays for itself!
I did the same thing after finding a screw in the side of a tire; Lexus would do NOTHING but charge me $394 for a new tire.....Discount tire waranteed the tire(they charge $265 for it)...so I bought Road Hazard and lifetime balance/rotation. By the way the saleman TOLD me to bring it in at 5,000 and REMIND my SA there to Balance each tire before mounting after rotation; he says it will extend the life of the tire. Love my Michelins!!....and Discount Tire
Old 09-03-12, 11:31 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
I did the same thing after finding a screw in the side of a tire; Lexus would do NOTHING but charge me $394 for a new tire.....Discount tire waranteed the tire(they charge $265 for it)...so I bought Road Hazard and lifetime balance/rotation. By the way the saleman TOLD me to bring it in at 5,000 and REMIND my SA there to Balance each tire before mounting after rotation; he says it will extend the life of the tire. Love my Michelins!!....and Discount Tire
Of course Lexus would not do anything about a screw in the sidewall, nor should they, that is no vehicle defect. Discount Tire will warranty damage to a tire for about $25 when you buy the tire from them. People are throwing money away by buying tires at the dealership, you will get overcharged. Call it a convenience fee.
Old 09-03-12, 11:54 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Of course Lexus would not do anything about a screw in the sidewall, nor should they, that is no vehicle defect. Discount Tire will warranty damage to a tire for about $25 when you buy the tire from them. People are throwing money away by buying tires at the dealership, you will get overcharged. Call it a convenience fee.
I was hoping it fell under the "Pursuit of Perfection" that others speak so glowingly of. It was my first and last visit to my local dealer; my initial SA said it could be REPAIRED! Yup; don't know a damm thing about tires for sure! The head SA said no bueno! They have 11 empty SA offices at my dealer; hope they stay that way....(94 service bays)....I will gladly drive 100 miles to a GREAT dealership!