RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trailer wiring without the prep package

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 06:52 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trailer wiring without the prep package

I'm going to install a hitch on my 2013 450h which didn't come with the prep package.

Is the harness there anyway?
Has anyone else done this?

(fyi, I know what the prep package consists of and don't need to be reminded)

Thanks,
Jonas
Old 04-17-13, 07:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The big item you are missing is the relay/converter. You can buy it along with the hitch from Sewell, but I hear it is a PITA to install.
Old 04-17-13, 08:34 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if Lexus provides the 4 pin flat connector when car was ordered without Tow Package. Best to just look at one without tow package, and confirm.

I do have the tow package, and the 4 pin connector, however, I was disappointed when I saw the 4 pin, hoping it was the 7 pin. I just assumed it had the 7 pin...never assume. The additional 3 pins are, trailer brake, back-up light and accessory power. For now, I wanted the back-up light power.

Anyway, if you need to add the 4 pin, I assume there is a wiring harness available, whereas you plug in at the fuse box. Sort of, plug n play. However, if you want the 7 pin, I don't think there is any "plug n play" methods to install such. An example would be, a wiring harness that can be connected to, which includes control for all 7...then you simply replace the 4 pin flat connector and now have a fully functional 7 pin.

Otherwise, a 7 pin upgrade, is one serious PITA installation. If I am mistaken, hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 04-18-13, 05:44 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I have done exactly that. I added the Curt hitch and Curt connector that plugs in the back. Really simple install. There's a video DIY out there.
Now, without towing prep, there is no lights controller installed. Never fear!
You can either buy a controller that plugs in instead of the OEM one, or just use a generic.
I already had the Curt lights controller that I pulled from my previous vehicle, so I plugged all of the wires into the OEM plug and that was it. Well, almost. There's a fuse under the hood that needs to be popped into place to enable 12V on the connector. The hardest part was finding the connector! It is under the right tail light. Figuring wires on it was a piece of cake with a voltmeter.
Old 04-18-13, 05:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Just in case, I will remind you that the towing prep includes an upgraded alternator.
We don't have one on the 450h!
Old 04-18-13, 06:01 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

>You can either buy a controller that plugs in instead of the OEM one, or just use a generic.

Vlad, did you end up with a 4 pin connector, 5 pin, 6 pin, or 7 pin? I assume 4 pin like the tow package offers? I am trying to find a reverse light signal near the back, and you might have solved this, assuming you ended up with more than a 4 pin.
Old 04-18-13, 06:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I have a mini-trailer, so the 4-pin works for me. I'm not sure if the reverse light is on the connector or not. I do not recall seeing it.
You can always tie into the reverse lights. As long as the controller you're using has its own 12V power, it wouldn't matter much.

Here's the plug-in-play trailer lights harness:
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20121174060

That's how I figured out the type of the connector to look for. Of course, I tried the left side first.
Old 04-18-13, 06:44 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

The reverse light is only avail. on the 7 pin, it's the last pin, meaning, 6 pin connectors do not have reverse light. I currently want it for supplemental LED reverse light addition, for regular non towing... of course, the 7 pin can then also be used to tow, as once you have 7 pin, you can connect to anything with reducing adapters.
Yes, I might have to tie a relay into the reverse lights.... and use the power from the 4 pin running lights, about 8 amps, which is sufficient. The issue is... the supplemental reverse lights would be installed in the hitch...the factory reverse lights are in the hatch... not easy wiring from the bottom of the hatch to the tow hitch. I was hoping there was an easier connection point....but, so far, no luck.
Old 04-18-13, 12:55 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

vlad-a, thanks for the info and the link.
Looks fairly straightforward. I have an article on building my owne set of relays, but I don't think I'm that ambitious.

I may shoot you some questions when I get into it.

With little trailers and LED lights, I'm not worried about an upgraded alternator. Bigger tranny cooler would be nice, but I'm not going to be testing the 3500# capacity.

Jonas