RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tips on 10 RX-350 operation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 04:04 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tips on 10 RX-350 operation?

I suspect that various folks on the forum have useful tips for the 350. Example: the thread about mirrors tilting when car is in reverse...and that works only when the mirror switch is on for one mirror.

My tip: The overhead switch panel is not illuminated, and the switches are flush. So at night, I would pull into the driveway and by mistake, perhaps open the moonroof instead of the garage door. I found that if I place the tip of my middle finger into the illuminated hole, my index finger is on the garage door button, and my thumb is on the driver's courtesy light button.
Old 02-01-10, 08:23 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno. Maybe I can get something fluorescent and mark with a dot in the middle of the button.
Old 02-02-10, 05:46 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
I suspect that various folks on the forum have useful tips for the 350. Example: the thread about mirrors tilting when car is in reverse...and that works only when the mirror switch is on for one mirror.

My tip: The overhead switch panel is not illuminated, and the switches are flush. So at night, I would pull into the driveway and by mistake, perhaps open the moonroof instead of the garage door. I found that if I place the tip of my middle finger into the illuminated hole, my index finger is on the garage door button, and my thumb is on the driver's courtesy light button.
I programmed all three switches to open the garage door. Then I hit it with three fingers. The odds of hitting the right one is three times fold !
Old 02-02-10, 06:03 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I programmed the middle button since that is were the light is. That way you just aim for the light, works out great. Since they are able to put light up there it would have been easy to illuminate the buttons. Maybe next year....
Old 02-02-10, 06:10 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the dealer program my FOB so when you hit the unlock button for the second time and hold it, all the windows and the sunroof open. This is a great feature for us who live in AZ. If you don' want the windows down all the way just take your finger off the button and they stop where you want them. Cool feature, I will appreciate this more in July.
Old 02-02-10, 07:17 AM
Nocaster7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I had the dealer program my FOB so when you hit the unlock button for the second time and hold it, all the windows and the sunroof open. This is a great feature for us who live in AZ. If you don' want the windows down all the way just take your finger off the button and they stop where you want them. Cool feature, I will appreciate this more in July.
Ooooh, nice one. I just wrote that on my list of dealer customizations.

Why make 10 trips back to the dealer, right?
Old 02-02-10, 07:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

I like this feature too. I used it often on my '04 during the summer. The manual says it is not programmed but mine was already. The remote will not close everything back up so just pop out the key, insert and turn to the left (left=lock). Turning to the right should bring everything down similar to the remote. Haven't checked it yet to confirm. This comes in handy when you want to close/open everything without going through the trouble of turning the car back on.
Old 02-02-10, 10:20 AM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

1. Garage door opener - Was disappointed by non illuminated buttons. But, I figured, if I put my finger (any) on the little light to completely cover it - this gives out more light that is dispersed to the area from the finger, and it gives me enough vision to see the buttons. Not a fix, but the closest solution. Make sure you have a big fat finger - just kidding.
2. Park Assist - My driveway is perpendicular to the garage. That requires me to make a sharp 90 degree turn to go in. Everytime I make the turn, the PA system beeps, obviously since it gets so close. Now, I have started ignoring the yellow signs. I wont worry until I see striped red, and faster beeping. But, even with that, I have managed to move on and not hit the bumper. What I want to know is, whats next after that - does it really start screaming, and turn completely red, or stripe red the last warning?
Old 02-02-10, 06:06 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same window/moonroof opening feature as standard on a RX-300, and insisted that the dealer activate it on the 350. In the summer heat, this is one of the best features of the car!
Old 02-03-10, 04:17 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
1. Garage door opener - Was disappointed by non illuminated buttons. But, I figured, if I put my finger (any) on the little light to completely cover it - this gives out more light that is dispersed to the area from the finger, and it gives me enough vision to see the buttons. Not a fix, but the closest solution. Make sure you have a big fat finger - just kidding.
2. Park Assist - My driveway is perpendicular to the garage. That requires me to make a sharp 90 degree turn to go in. Everytime I make the turn, the PA system beeps, obviously since it gets so close. Now, I have started ignoring the yellow signs. I wont worry until I see striped red, and faster beeping. But, even with that, I have managed to move on and not hit the bumper. What I want to know is, whats next after that - does it really start screaming, and turn completely red, or stripe red the last warning?
So that's the purpose of that little pinhole light?
Old 02-03-10, 05:13 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The light is to light the shifter below. I don't think it does it very well.