RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Think about Trade in my 05 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 07:09 AM
05RX330TX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Think about Trade in my 05 RX330

Hi All,
First of all I am sorry for my English and secondly thank you for your input in advance.
Here is the story I purchased this 05 RX330 AWD almost two years now the exterior and and interior and excellent condition only have 49K miles there are several things that I am really disappointed with Lexus quality and thinking about getting a different car despite even through the fact I am currently owned a 02 Tundra V6 with 169K and still running strong and loved it.
Here are the list for things needed to taking care of.

1] Leaking Power Steering rack. ($1500)

2] Steering Wheel shaking when breaking in high speed (over 65-70) only when applying break.

3] Head light moisture (recall)

4] Dash board started showing cracking (recall).

These two things is my fault not to do homework or searching prior making the buy, (1) AWD gas mileage is horrible (2) timing belts.

As I stated previously I owned a 2011 Sienna (wife van) and my 02 Tundra both vehicles never have any early issues like the RX330, my biggest disappointed is the RX330 only have 49K miles.

Should I trade is or having all these issues fit.

Again, your input always appreciated.
Old 04-13-15, 07:23 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

2 is probably due to pad material transfer and/or brake rotor run out and isn't a quality issue. It can happen with a number of vehicles.

It's really your call to make if you find these issues acceptable or not. We had 1 and 3 with our RX 400h and we are not considering selling it. YMMV.
Old 04-13-15, 08:26 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Excuse the ignorance, What does YMMV means?
Old 04-13-15, 08:31 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyk
Excuse the ignorance, What does YMMV means?
Your Mileage May Vary
Old 04-14-15, 11:11 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At only 49K miles, I wouldn't at all worry about number 1 yet. Just keep an eye on it. It's not as big of an issue as some people make it out to be in my opinion. From what I have seen, it's usually just a very small slight slow leak in the boot. Just make sure that you check power steering fluid levels every now and then, and you should be fine for a long long time. I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless it is drinking fluid or you are having problems with it. Is it a quality issue? Yes, I agree with you there. But I don't see as a huge issue.

I agree with takeshi74 on number 2. It's likely due to brake pads or perhaps a slightly warped rotor. This is something that happens on all makes and models of cars and is a common issue with cars in general. It's not anything that a local tire shop or independent mechanic couldn't fix for you very easily. I don't see this as a quality issue.

Number 3 and 4 are quality issues for sure. But seeing how Toyota is taking action and replacing these parts free of charge on 10+ year old vehicles, that says a lot about Toyota as a whole.

As far as stuff you should have researched, yes AWD fuel economy isn't great. I have an AWD myself. But man do I love the additional traction in rain and snow. I don't see how timing belts are an issue though? Sure you have to replace them every now and then, but I don't see that as a problem? Other than perhaps cost?

I have a 2004 RX 330 AWD with 145,000 miles on it and counting. The issues I have had thus far are the leaking power steering rack. Very slow leak. I have yet to have to add any power steering fluid, though the fluid does get changed out regularly. I have had the rear window molding come off, which, like I said above, it's a super easy fix. I also had my radiator fans die, which wasn't a huge deal at all. So in total, I have spent a total of about $150 in repairs. That's it. Will the power steering rack have to replaced eventually? Probably. But I am not worried about it until it really needs to be replaced. That all being said, I am very happy with the vehicle, and hope to get another 150K miles out of.

From my experience with cars, with every car, no matter how nice or reliable or expensive they may be, there is always going to be 1 or 2 issues over the life of the car that will cost you 1-$2,000 to fix. Nothing is ever 100% perfect 100% of the time. We are only human after all.

If I were you, I would keep the car. I don't really see a good reason to get rid of it. It seems like you have already had most of the common issues that seem to come up with these cars. Other common issues that I can think of off the top of my head is the rear window molding coming off (super easy fix), and radiator fans dying ($150 and 30 mins of time to fix). Neither of those issues are really a huge deal. And even if your power steering rack needs to be replaced right now, I would fix it and continue to enjoy the vehicle. I wouldn't consider 1 major issue for a 10 year old car to be bad at all. Yes, it is a low mileage 10 year old car. But even just sitting in a garage, things age, and things deteriorate. Some things age better than others. But that's okay.

Again, all the stuff above is just my opinion. No one has to agree with it or like it.

Now, if you want a new car, and will be happier with a new car, by all means, go for it. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting a new car. If that's what you want, and you can afford it, do it. Personally, I don't see a need to get rid of your RX, but no one ever just does only what they need. I know that I don't.

Sorry for the long post everyone.
Old 04-15-15, 06:13 AM
05RX330TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by neelnaik
At only 49K miles, I wouldn't at all worry about number 1 yet. Just keep an eye on it. It's not as big of an issue as some people make it out to be in my opinion. From what I have seen, it's usually just a very small slight slow leak in the boot. Just make sure that you check power steering fluid levels every now and then, and you should be fine for a long long time. I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless it is drinking fluid or you are having problems with it. Is it a quality issue? Yes, I agree with you there. But I don't see as a huge issue.

I agree with takeshi74 on number 2. It's likely due to brake pads or perhaps a slightly warped rotor. This is something that happens on all makes and models of cars and is a common issue with cars in general. It's not anything that a local tire shop or independent mechanic couldn't fix for you very easily. I don't see this as a quality issue.

Number 3 and 4 are quality issues for sure. But seeing how Toyota is taking action and replacing these parts free of charge on 10+ year old vehicles, that says a lot about Toyota as a whole.

As far as stuff you should have researched, yes AWD fuel economy isn't great. I have an AWD myself. But man do I love the additional traction in rain and snow. I don't see how timing belts are an issue though? Sure you have to replace them every now and then, but I don't see that as a problem? Other than perhaps cost?

I have a 2004 RX 330 AWD with 145,000 miles on it and counting. The issues I have had thus far are the leaking power steering rack. Very slow leak. I have yet to have to add any power steering fluid, though the fluid does get changed out regularly. I have had the rear window molding come off, which, like I said above, it's a super easy fix. I also had my radiator fans die, which wasn't a huge deal at all. So in total, I have spent a total of about $150 in repairs. That's it. Will the power steering rack have to replaced eventually? Probably. But I am not worried about it until it really needs to be replaced. That all being said, I am very happy with the vehicle, and hope to get another 150K miles out of.

From my experience with cars, with every car, no matter how nice or reliable or expensive they may be, there is always going to be 1 or 2 issues over the life of the car that will cost you 1-$2,000 to fix. Nothing is ever 100% perfect 100% of the time. We are only human after all.

If I were you, I would keep the car. I don't really see a good reason to get rid of it. It seems like you have already had most of the common issues that seem to come up with these cars. Other common issues that I can think of off the top of my head is the rear window molding coming off (super easy fix), and radiator fans dying ($150 and 30 mins of time to fix). Neither of those issues are really a huge deal. And even if your power steering rack needs to be replaced right now, I would fix it and continue to enjoy the vehicle. I wouldn't consider 1 major issue for a 10 year old car to be bad at all. Yes, it is a low mileage 10 year old car. But even just sitting in a garage, things age, and things deteriorate. Some things age better than others. But that's okay.

Again, all the stuff above is just my opinion. No one has to agree with it or like it.

Now, if you want a new car, and will be happier with a new car, by all means, go for it. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting a new car. If that's what you want, and you can afford it, do it. Personally, I don't see a need to get rid of your RX, but no one ever just does only what they need. I know that I don't.

Sorry for the long post everyone.
Neelnaik and others thank you so much for a very informative advise I will thinking about your guys opinion.
Old 04-16-15, 08:30 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anytime! Keep us updated and let us know what you decide to do. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-24-15, 06:26 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that many problems trade it at a dealer and let him worry about it. These vehicles are not problem free, nothing is. Gas mileage and SUV don't belong in the same sentence. My wife is finding that out trading her car for a Ford Escape V6. That thing just mops fuel. My 2006 RX330 isn't that bad if you drive it easy. Jamie
Old 04-24-15, 07:10 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
Gas mileage and SUV don't belong in the same sentence. My wife is finding that out trading her car for a Ford Escape V6. That thing just mops fuel. My 2006 RX330 isn't that bad if you drive it easy. Jamie
Mine is not bad either if you drive it easy, I get 23 mpg in the highway.
Old 04-27-15, 04:18 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the 23 miles per gallon your calculations or is that what your car is telling you? Up here in Canada we are on metric, like most of the world. Our gallon broken down into liters equals 4.5L. Your gallon is smaller at 3.78L. So if you are getting that mileage with a smaller gallon that you are doing very well. The best way is to fill up your tank to the brim, set your odometer to 0 and drive. Next time you fill up completely , look how much fuel you put in and check your odometer and divide the two. Jamie
Old 04-27-15, 04:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,215 Likes on 962 Posts

I took my RX330 to Carmax in Florida. They gave me much more money than the dealer offered. It was a sale only to Carmax, They want nice looking cars. I bought my next car from Lexus. Just something to check into if you decide to sell.
Old 04-27-15, 02:35 PM
robotmak
Driver School Candidate

I say keep the suv as if you do the routine maintenance and the repair due to wear, it's a car that will drive for a long time. I was given a 04 RX330 with 177k miles in December 2014. In 4 months I've driven a lot of miles. I am at 189k and I love the car. I have confidence that I can drive the car to almost 300k if I change the fluids at the routine schedule.

Below are the work I've done.

- Front HID Headlight (Moisture - warranty by Dealer)
- ECU Programming for smoother transmission (Out of Pocket - Dealer)
- 179K Power Steering Fluid Flush (out of pocket - self)
- 180k Timing Belts, Water Pump, AC Belt, Thermostat, Pulleys (out of pocket - Dealer)
- 185K Oil Change <-- switch to full synthetic (Mobile 1 - out of pocket - self)
- 187k Transmission Drain and Fill (Out of Pocket - Self) *never done*
- 187k Change engine filter to K&N reuseable

The front rotors are warp with the same problem as you. I will change them myself when it hit the indicator bar.

I will drain and fill the transfer case, and rear differential soon.

Bottom-line, it's a great suv. It has a lot of power and very smooth. I enjoy the drive and I drive a lot (Saint Louis to Kansas City every weekend).

If you take care of your car, you will save so much money and yet still enjoy the ride. That's my two cents.
Old 04-28-15, 06:57 AM
05RX330TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by robotmak
I say keep the suv as if you do the routine maintenance and the repair due to wear, it's a car that will drive for a long time. I was given a 04 RX330 with 177k miles in December 2014. In 4 months I've driven a lot of miles. I am at 189k and I love the car. I have confidence that I can drive the car to almost 300k if I change the fluids at the routine schedule.

Below are the work I've done.

- Front HID Headlight (Moisture - warranty by Dealer)
- ECU Programming for smoother transmission (Out of Pocket - Dealer)
- 179K Power Steering Fluid Flush (out of pocket - self)
- 180k Timing Belts, Water Pump, AC Belt, Thermostat, Pulleys (out of pocket - Dealer)
- 185K Oil Change <-- switch to full synthetic (Mobile 1 - out of pocket - self)
- 187k Transmission Drain and Fill (Out of Pocket - Self) *never done*
- 187k Change engine filter to K&N reuseable

The front rotors are warp with the same problem as you. I will change them myself when it hit the indicator bar.

I will drain and fill the transfer case, and rear differential soon.

Bottom-line, it's a great suv. It has a lot of power and very smooth. I enjoy the drive and I drive a lot (Saint Louis to Kansas City every weekend).

If you take care of your car, you will save so much money and yet still enjoy the ride. That's my two cents.
Thanks everyone, been looking around and haven't find anything would fit my budget and haven't making a formal decision because I almost payoff the vehicle and truly not looking for to extend car payment longer either but I did a lot rethinking and might keep the vehicle for now.
I do taking very good care all my cars, I do my own routine maintenance like oil change, brakes, transmission fluid etc..
I am awaiting for a second letter from Lexus to replace the dash board so I can take the car in to do the headlight and dash board at same time.
Also, up to my daughter if she can handle the RX since she will be driving in a year