RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Automatic Folding Mirrors (using po-40 module)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 05:05 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Automatic Folding Mirrors (using po-40 module)

Next mod on the car is complete. This time round I have installed a unit called "po-40" that retracts and extends the folding mirrors on my Lexus RX330. In Australia all the RX's have a manual switch to retract and extend the mirrors as you need to. The problem with this method is that if you are parked on the side of the road and you want to retract your mirrors, you have to press the button manually while the key is still turned on. Obviously this limits your view as you get out of the car. Yes you can look over your should before you get out, but we do have a Luxury car here

So the old method of me doing this was as follows (this is an older video I made as I know some of you US guys and gals do not have the manual option)

So I found out about a module called po-40 and found a company here in Australia called Ashpoint that is a distributor of the units. I needed 2 units and I purchased them both with shipping for under $200. Thanks to Michael at Ashpoint for his support, instructions and for providing these units.

Now I did forget to take pictures of my install as I did this during a gap when the kids were asleep and a birthday party starting. The whole process took me about 45 minutes in total (first door being the slowest). I have borrowed the pictures from a thread in the UK to illustrate the connections and capped it off with a video (which includes my LED tail lights that I have installed under the mirrors). The whole light movement with the mirrors is, well.............. I love it!!!

The install is pretty straight forward. Obviously disconnect the negative terminal on the battery as you are splicing into a constant power wire (safety first)

This is the unit that is needed. For my 2005 Lexus RX330 I needed 2 modules (1 for each door)

This picture shows the end result with the wiring involved (there are 2 cuts and 5 splices per door to make the whole rig work)

The cuts are on the smaller connector of the mirror control module

There are 2 splices on the plug that is on the outer part of the door

There are 3 splices on the plug that attaches to the window and door lock control panel on the door

So after all that was done, I drove the car up the drive-way to display the "minor light-show" with my 2nd gen RX.

As with most installs on the threads, do this at your own risk and any problems / damage / issues to your car, yourself and other persons, property etc are solely your own responsibility and I or other people cannot be held accountable for any issues related to you performing this modification. I am providing this guide as a project that I did and worked on my car.
Old 02-16-15, 06:59 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's cool, I like it. However my RX330 is not equipped with the folding mirrors option, otherwise I would jump on this one.
Old 03-11-15, 02:30 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Jealous of that. The second gen RX here in the US didn't have power-folding as an option.
Old 03-11-15, 02:38 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

On a side note...Draco I miss you. I need you to buy an Infiniti and join me on those forums...The people over there are boring!
Old 03-12-15, 07:08 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I need you to buy an Infiniti and join me on those forums...The people over there are boring!
Convince them all to buy Lexus'