RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 08:04 AM
babpdgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation

Greetings!

My friend's 2005 RX has headlight condensation and found some great post here regarding the fix. I am going to try the clear seal on top first without removing the entire headlight assembly.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it necessary to blow dry the inside of the headlight assembly first or over time with the clear seal, the condesation will dissapear.

2. If blow dry first is needed inside the headlight, is there a trap door that I can turn and open on the assembly itself so there will be an opening to use the blow dryer or the entire assembly needs to be removed to access the inside of the assemble.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 06-06-12, 08:56 AM
bdar
Driver

babpdgt: I have similar issue with yours. Let me know the outcome if you decided to seal it yourself. But, I just found there's a TSB for this. I wonder if we still can ask for it (it's 2007 though):

2005 Lexus Rx330 Exterior Lighting Service Bulletin 227337

NHTSA: Action Number: 10021708 Service Bulletin Number: 227337

Report Date:
May 18, 2007
Component:
Exterior Lighting

Summary: Headlamp condensation. *kb

Originally Posted by babpdgt
Greetings!

My friend's 2005 RX has headlight condensation and found some great post here regarding the fix. I am going to try the clear seal on top first without removing the entire headlight assembly.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it necessary to blow dry the inside of the headlight assembly first or over time with the clear seal, the condesation will dissapear.

2. If blow dry first is needed inside the headlight, is there a trap door that I can turn and open on the assembly itself so there will be an opening to use the blow dryer or the entire assembly needs to be removed to access the inside of the assemble.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 06-06-12, 10:00 AM
babpdgt
Driver School Candidate

bdar: thanks for the info. My friend did bring it to the dealer but advised it's out of warranty and therefore they won't fix the tsb.
Old 06-06-12, 10:06 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn the headlights on as you're driving around, they will dry quickly.
Old 06-06-12, 10:39 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Condensation doesn't just disappear from any sealed environment. You need to address the moisture first.
Old 06-06-12, 11:39 AM
babpdgt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. If turning the headlights on won't remove the condensation, I presume the next step would be to use a blow dryer. Would I need to use silca packs afterwards or blow drying will remove all the moisture/condensation.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-12, 11:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

First of all the headlamp is not sealed. It has a small equalizer hole between the inner

1. You can wait out and the condensation will clear out. Means cool and dry weather.
2. You can hasten the drying by blow drying.

But I suggest just wait for it to dry. Your car exposed to the sun the whole day will dry it out. Or else, as mentioned run your lights.

The condensation comes from trapped wet air (or water) in the housing. The root cause of water getting in is a failed seal.

1st target for repair is the top area of the headlamp. That’s where water will try to seep in. Use clear silicone sealant and apply a good size of bead on the sealing joint. Apply it all along the top.

If the seal is compromised in this area and you have sealed it, the condensation should stop.

If the above repair fails, your leak is located other than the top of the head lamp. That requires surgery. You have to remove the bumper. I will post my original DIY on it.
Old 06-06-12, 12:00 PM
babpdgt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mandyfig for the reply. I did see your original post via search before posting and it was very helpful in case I do need to remove the bumper.

If I'm reading it correctly, I should just go head with the clear silicone seal first. Over time with the heat from the sun and headlights the condensation will disappear. If I want to speed up the process than I should do the blow dryer.

Just want to make sure if that is correct. Thanks!
Old 06-06-12, 05:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by babpdgt
Thanks mandyfig for the reply. I did see your original post via search before posting and it was very helpful in case I do need to remove the bumper.

If I'm reading it correctly, I should just go head with the clear silicone seal first. Over time with the heat from the sun and headlights the condensation will disappear. If I want to speed up the process than I should do the blow dryer.

Just want to make sure if that is correct. Thanks!
Yes you can. Good luck. However I would let it dry out before I would seal. A couple of hot days, low humidity will clear it out.
Old 06-07-12, 09:22 AM
babpdgt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again madyfig. I'll give it a try this weekend. I did also find your post regarding using 2 blow dryers. Thanks!