GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help removing Condensation/Water in the Headlight Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 07:14 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing Condensation/Water in the Headlight Assembly

My passenger side headlight assembly (both the main piece and smaller piece) have A LOT of water in them, it's fully covered with water droplets, not just fogging up, and recently the headlight stopped working. I brought it to an independent shop to get the headlight replaced and asked them to remove the water for me, and was told it's not possible without breaking the seal.

I did bring up the idea of using a blow dryer but was told that it's no possible on the 3GS, because the bulb itself is not actually in the headlight, it has a plastic cover/film in front of it. So the only way to get into the headlight is breaking the seal and getting the water out or getting a new headlight assembly. I do not want to open it up because it will possibly get dirt into it and sealing it may not be perfect either, which the condensation problem may come back.

So is it true that it can't be done with a blow dryer? My car is a 2007 GS450H which is out of warranty, should I bring the car in to a Lexus dealer which will cost $500+ to get it replaced or is there any possible way of fixing it?

I want to just live with it but its so damn ugly

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-01-12, 07:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got a serious problem. Change the headlight get one off ebay or
Junkyardz
Old 06-01-12, 07:48 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Well if you bring it in to lexus they will charge you something, I had this issue but yours is serious. You could look on ebay or bring it to Lexus and see if they will goodwill the part and most likely they will make you pay for labor. Another choice is to stick it in an oven and break the seal that way and clean it out then re-seal it.
Old 06-02-12, 11:31 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thanks, I am planning on bringing the car in today and see what they say. Did they replaced it for you for free under or out of warantty? As long as it won't have any electrical problems or affect the light bulbs, I think I will live with it for now if they are going to charge me for the parts.

I just have a quick noob question, when you guys say serious, are you saying that it will lead to other problems? or just an ugly headlight with water in it? because the way I was told is that it won't affect anything else because this kind of headlight assembly is completely closed up. It's isolated from any electrical stuff.
Old 06-02-12, 03:24 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Thanks, I am planning on bringing the car in today and see what they say. Did they replaced it for you for free under or out of warantty? As long as it won't have any electrical problems or affect the light bulbs, I think I will live with it for now if they are going to charge me for the parts.

I just have a quick noob question, when you guys say serious, are you saying that it will lead to other problems? or just an ugly headlight with water in it? because the way I was told is that it won't affect anything else because this kind of headlight assembly is completely closed up. It's isolated from any electrical stuff.
They replaced it under warranty but it was a bunch of back and forth and haggling the dealer to replace both under warranty. Well the way you described it sounds like water is going to flood the lights which I consider serious.
Old 06-02-12, 04:23 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I just got back from the Lexus dealer and was told that the water got into the electrical system and I have to get the whole headlight assembly replaced along with the some kind of electrical system behind it. And the cost will be around $2000 for the part and $300 for labour. I will probably have to get the bulbs replaced too... If not, I will have to drive with one headlight only cool....

Last edited by TCKeyz; 06-02-12 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-12, 04:24 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

And $2000 is for one side only
Old 06-03-12, 06:37 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Water got to the ballast and destroyed your ballast. Once the light starts doing it it collects a lot of water and it sits in the bottom of the light and that's where the ballast is.
Old 06-03-12, 10:59 PM
06ausiecar
Driver

You can replace your ballast btw. Just takes some time to do.
Old 06-03-12, 11:15 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Lexus already has my part on order, I'm not really a do it myself kinda guy, no idea what I am doing when it comes to anything under the hood. I'm not sure if I can cancel it since they special ordered it for me, I was also told that the water corroded all the wirings behind the headlight too hmmm... weird thing is that my other headlight also went out yesterday, turning it off and back on solved the problem, but unfortunately I was stopped by a cop because of it... I notice that it blinks a little when turned on, don't know if it's normal.
Old 06-04-12, 02:13 PM
bigblack06

So is this being covered by lexus or out of pocket. I would try to make lexus pay for some of that.
Old 06-04-12, 05:39 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I'm paying it out of my pocket, they didn't seem to want to help cover some of it at all. They told me that it's either that I replace it or drive without that headlight. I guess it's fair as the car is out of warranty, there's no valid argument for me to bring up.
Old 06-09-12, 05:02 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Update

Got the headlight replaced and they gave me a discount, I noticed that they put a few tiny scratches into the headlight when installing, not a big deal since it should come out when I use PlastX, I just need to restore the other headlight to make them look more identical.

I noticed that the right side shines a little further than left. I know it's adjustable but is it normal to have the right side shinning a little further on the 3GS? ( I heard in some cars they do it so its easier to see signs).
Old 06-10-12, 01:41 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Update

Got the headlight replaced and they gave me a discount, I noticed that they put a few tiny scratches into the headlight when installing, not a big deal since it should come out when I use PlastX, I just need to restore the other headlight to make them look more identical.

I noticed that the right side shines a little further than left. I know it's adjustable but is it normal to have the right side shinning a little further on the 3GS? ( I heard in some cars they do it so its easier to see signs).
Yes the right side always shines further then the left.