RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Service intervals...if not passed 5,000 should I change at 6 months?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 06:24 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service intervals...if not passed 5,000 should I change at 6 months?

Hi!

I'm have a 2007 Lexus RX350 with a bit less than 14,000 miles on it. It has passed the 6 month serivce interval and wondering if it's OK to do it when it hits 15,000 miles. Probably it would take another month or two until it hits 15,000 miles, making the oil change period 8 months.

I missed the oil change interval since I was out of town for a month and half. And I use Amsoil full synthetic for my RX350, which I heard has a longer oil change period.

So my question is, is it OK to stick with the 15,000 oil change or should I do it ASAP. BTW, how much is the 15,000 scheduled service for a RX350?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-04-08, 07:46 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

A lot depends on what type of driving you do and climate. Since you are using synthetic you are probably ok going past regular intervals, but how much is upto you. You can have a sample of your current oil sent to a lab to see its composition. I think the place was called blackstone labs. Then you would definitively know how you are doing with this oil in your car.
Old 09-04-08, 08:13 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't be silly. I've been using synthetic oil on my cars for the last 12 years. I change the oil every 30K miles and a filter every 15K miles. Before you people all faint, let me tell you, that recently I changed the head gasket on my 15-year old Mercedes. The engine inside was virgin clean. It looked like it just came from the factory.

So, at 5K miles I put synthetic oil into my RX 350, at 20K she will get a new oil filter, and at about 30K new oil and filter, and so on. So, six months or five months will make absolutely no difference.
Old 09-05-08, 03:23 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That does sound a little extreme. I think there are 2 considerations:
1) oil, even synthetic, does eventually break down due to heat. The more it breaks down, the more engine wear.
2) Exhaust gasses blow by the rings and collect in the oil. This changes the PH of the oil. That in turn leads to internal rust. Obviously, the older the car, the more gasses will blow by the rings.

As far as the oil anaysis, that is a good thing in that if some individual component is going, like a crankshaft bearing, you can see that in the oil analysis, strip down the engine, replace the bearings, and you are good to go. Seems like a good idea if your engine is 100K+. If you are just doing it to see if the oil is still ok, it is probably cheaper to just change the oil instead of paying for the analysis. What is the anlysis going to tell you: "you have higher metal content in the oil than last time, so change the oil"!
Old 09-05-08, 04:21 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

^^^Thats a good point about the lab cost. However, my idea was to have it checked so that he would know for the future how well his oil has held up. There were a few guys in the second gen IS forum who checked the oil composition once or twice in the beginning to figure out their optimal oil change interval.
Old 09-05-08, 05:49 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I used to do engine oil analysis on aircraft engines, because of the life threatening aspect of an engine failure in-flight. On the ground, you just pull over to the side of the road and swear a lot!

But if you are determined, the technology works this way. there is normal engine wear, and that can be picked up by an analysis of the metal content in the oil. Ring failures show up as iron, main bearing failures show up as babbit metal, etc. You need to establish a baseline with at least two tests. Then later on, if you analyze the oil and one metal content has jumped up 3 times, that is significant enough to tear down the engine and go look for the problem. If you did not have the previous baseline analysis, you would not know if a high metal reading was a new event, or simply the normal engine wear for that engine--leading you to tear down the engine on a false alarm.
Old 09-05-08, 06:48 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biff44
I used to do engine oil analysis on aircraft engines, because of the life threatening aspect of an engine failure in-flight. On the ground, you just pull over to the side of the road and swear a lot!

But if you are determined, the technology works this way. there is normal engine wear, and that can be picked up by an analysis of the metal content in the oil. Ring failures show up as iron, main bearing failures show up as babbit metal, etc. You need to establish a baseline with at least two tests. Then later on, if you analyze the oil and one metal content has jumped up 3 times, that is significant enough to tear down the engine and go look for the problem. If you did not have the previous baseline analysis, you would not know if a high metal reading was a new event, or simply the normal engine wear for that engine--leading you to tear down the engine on a false alarm.
Great advice! thanks for posting.
Old 09-05-08, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That extended service interval would cause your warranty to be void if something broke in the engine. Something as simple as a broken valve spring or lifter could ruin your engine and you would be SOL. Not saying the extended service interval would be the cause of failure but it would relinquish Lexus from any repair responsibility.

From the Service Manual
What is not covered...
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:

•Fire, accidents or theft
•Abuse or negligence
•Misuse — for example, racing or overloading
•Improper repairs
•Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Lexus Accessories
•Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Owner’s Manual
When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim simply because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by improper maintenance or repairs is not covered by this warranty.
I wouldn't change to extreme service intervals until after the warranty period just in case a part fails. Oil is cheap, engine repair/replacement is not.
Old 09-08-08, 10:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, you can try to explain to Lexus headquarter about how synthetic oil can last 30,000 miles, but they will just laugh at you.
Old 09-08-08, 11:45 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

With oil analysis done I go one year between oil/filter changes.
Have never had an engine failure since 1978. I now forget the oil analysis & just go the 1 year. I put on around 18K per year anyway.
Old 09-11-08, 05:47 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Extended intervals even with synthetic

is not recommended except by manufactures that include maintenance as part of the purchase. Prior to scheduled maintenance being a freebie, BMW never recommended such intervals. When it was on their dime all of sudden intervals recommended doubled. Go figure.

Per testing done on the BMW board I hang out on particulate gets pretty high after awhile. Several times guys have sent oil off for analysis and the test results showed significant degradation. And, this is in vehicles that use 7 or 8 quarts instead of 3.5 or 4.

If I can find some of the test results I will post them. Why risk it for a few bucks. The potential risk doesn't warrant the cost savings. Unless of course you do not plan on keeping the vehicle for an extended amount of time or miles.