IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Changing to synthetic oil after a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 11:56 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to synthetic oil after a mistake?

So I lent my IS F out this past week and the onboard computer said that it needed the 25000 mile service. So the borrower thought she would do me a favor and do the required oil change without consulting me. Turns out the dealership used conventional oil, whereas I've been using Mobile 1 since 1,000 miles. What would you do in this situation? Should I do another oil change to Mobile 1 once I get the car back or should I wait till the next scheduled service to change back?
Old 07-09-10, 12:45 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not change it assuming the correct conventional oil was used.
Old 07-09-10, 01:16 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change right away back to Mobil 1, and never loan your performance car to anyone.
Old 07-09-10, 01:24 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No biggie...ISF doesn't require synthetic in the first place.

Originally Posted by madoka
So I lent my IS F out this past week and the onboard computer said that it needed the 25000 mile service. So the borrower thought she would do me a favor and do the required oil change without consulting me. Turns out the dealership used conventional oil, whereas I've been using Mobile 1 since 1,000 miles. What would you do in this situation? Should I do another oil change to Mobile 1 once I get the car back or should I wait till the next scheduled service to change back?
Old 07-09-10, 01:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

If it really bugs you... drain & refill with the Mobil One..

I wouldn't bother changing the oil filter..

I've been using conventional oil since day 1... Thats what the engineers recommend

Joe Z
Old 07-09-10, 01:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'd change it at the recommended 5k interval. No need to dump a perfectly good load of oil.
Old 07-09-10, 01:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Again, if it really bugs you, change it, otherwise leave it be. However, if you change it, I would change the oil filter - IMHO, you don't want to be mixing different oils. The additive packages are not the same. Note, this is my opinion.

Lou
Old 07-09-10, 05:45 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd change it at the recommended 5k interval. No need to dump a perfectly good load of oil.
Agreed, leave it and say "Thank You" for your thoughtfulness... I can't tell you how many times I have loaned my cars to people, an these "asshats" bring my car back on empty, NEVER to be loaned a vehicle by me again! I mean really who does NOT know that you have to bring back a rental on full? Or better yet some REALLY nice dude is willing to loan me his 60k car... should I bring it back full of gas?!
Old 07-09-10, 06:38 PM
madoka
Pole Position

I only bring this up, because I vaguely recall that one should not change back to conventional oil after you switch to synthetic. Is this no longer true?
Old 07-09-10, 07:47 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Never was true to begin with IMO.
Old 07-09-10, 09:08 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

just leave it alone now and change at next 5000 mi interval. you should thank her for being a very considerate person.
Old 07-09-10, 09:37 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should thank her by loaning it every 5k miles with the same offer...
Old 07-09-10, 11:24 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

theres no need to change it. though its not what you'd prefer, it's what is recommended by lexus. just wait 5k or so to change it back to the synthetic you wish to use. if its bothering you that much, just drain and then refill with your mobil 1. its probably best to change the oil filter too.
Old 07-10-10, 06:51 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Agreed with the consensus: leave it for now and wait 5k for the next schedule.

Just tell her next time to specify synthetic if you still loan the car.

C.
Old 07-10-10, 10:28 AM
madoka
Pole Position

I did some more research and found the answer to my question. Turns out, when I first heard about the dangers of switching between oils, you could run the risk of screwing up the engine seals, causing oil leaks and increasing oil consumption. However, it's apparently no longer the case, though many service advisors still tell people it's a bad idea. Here's an excerpt:

There was a time, years ago, when switching between synthetic oils and mineral oils was not recommended if you had used one product or the other for a long period of time. People experienced problems with seals leaking and high oil consumption but changes in additive chemistry and seal material have taken care of those issues. And that's an important caveat. New seal technology is great, but if you're still driving around in a car from the 80's with its original seals, then this argument becomes a bit of a moot point - your seals are still going to be subject to the old leakage problems no matter what newfangled additives the oil companies are putting in their products.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_b...#ixzz0tIjWXwa9

So, I'll keep the oil that's in there now and switch back on the next service. I do lend out my cars for several weeks at a time, so I'll have to remember to ask borrowers to consult me in the future before performing any work on the cars. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Changing to synthetic oil after a mistake?