RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Some Impressions at 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 10:15 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Impressions at 6 months

I've had my 2008 RX 350 for about six months now. Some impressions:

Overall I like it very much but pretty much everything in that center console could, IMHO, stand a major redesign.

* The business about not being able to fully utilize Nav or even look through files on an MP3 disk is totally ridiculous but entire web sites have been devoted to it so I can only add my voice to whatever has been said. Why do they see liability issues that others do not?

* A lot of things about how the Nav works could be made more intuitive. And those quick access memory points? They should design a screen for them where you can see what they are. Is it really necessary for me to remember that the 3rd one is this and the 5th one is that? Downright silly.

* I don't like to have to switch screens just to change the HVAC fan speed. Since there are already 6 real buttons for HVAC just add a couple more for function and fan speed and be done with it. Even with climate control (and I've been driving equipped with it for over a decade) it still requires adjustments of fan speed often enough to make having it on a display screen inconvenient.

* Stereo sound could be better. Not that it's bad but I don't think it's all that great and I'm not an automotive-audiophile. One thing that would help a great deal I think would be a more sophisticated equalizer instead of such simplistic bass/treble adjustments. A graphic equalizer as a display screen would be great since it's not something that requires frequent adjustment.

* Spare tire should be accessed from inside not from down under. Leave it exactly where it is but build the floor under it not over it. Why make it hard to get to, at risk of theft, vandalism, and dirt when it can be inside, under a removable floor panel?

Just a few thoughts. Maybe I will think of more.
Old 09-05-08, 05:33 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

My 2c about the spare:

Since I have '99 Rx the spare is inside access.

Have not had the problem but .. if I there is stuff in the trunk and some one has a flat ... you have to empty the RX. Also the bottom of the trunk is not as sturdy to haul heavy stuff.

In my mind there is no clear winner.

Salim.
Old 09-05-08, 07:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
My 2c about the spare:

Since I have '99 Rx the spare is inside access.

Have not had the problem but .. if I there is stuff in the trunk and some one has a flat ... you have to empty the RX. Also the bottom of the trunk is not as sturdy to haul heavy stuff.

In my mind there is no clear winner.

Salim.
You still have to empty the rear anyway to get at the jack and the lug nut key. Don't ask me about my flat while on a 1,600 mile trip. AAARGH.
Old 09-05-08, 04:59 PM
arima
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the in the trunk spare is usually covered by a cardboard that tends to cave in with time.
Old 09-08-08, 01:10 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

eh either design isnt optimal. my amp and capacitors cover up the panel you need to lower the spare.
Old 09-10-08, 10:53 AM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by filmteknik
I've had my 2008 RX 350 for about six months now. Some impressions:

Overall I like it very much but pretty much everything in that center console could, IMHO, stand a major redesign.

* The business about not being able to fully utilize Nav or even look through files on an MP3 disk is totally ridiculous but entire web sites have been devoted to it so I can only add my voice to whatever has been said. Why do they see liability issues that others do not?

* A lot of things about how the Nav works could be made more intuitive. And those quick access memory points? They should design a screen for them where you can see what they are. Is it really necessary for me to remember that the 3rd one is this and the 5th one is that? Downright silly.

* I don't like to have to switch screens just to change the HVAC fan speed. Since there are already 6 real buttons for HVAC just add a couple more for function and fan speed and be done with it. Even with climate control (and I've been driving equipped with it for over a decade) it still requires adjustments of fan speed often enough to make having it on a display screen inconvenient.

* Stereo sound could be better. Not that it's bad but I don't think it's all that great and I'm not an automotive-audiophile. One thing that would help a great deal I think would be a more sophisticated equalizer instead of such simplistic bass/treble adjustments. A graphic equalizer as a display screen would be great since it's not something that requires frequent adjustment.

* Spare tire should be accessed from inside not from down under. Leave it exactly where it is but build the floor under it not over it. Why make it hard to get to, at risk of theft, vandalism, and dirt when it can be inside, under a removable floor panel?

Just a few thoughts. Maybe I will think of more.

I agree with that and more.
Old 09-10-08, 11:07 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grouch
I agree with that and more.
you should share you "more" im curious what you think....
Old 09-10-08, 03:58 PM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
you should share you "more" im curious what you think....

OK,
How often do you use the clock button, twice a year? Yet a few people like to jump between the Nav screen and the trip screen which requires two inputs along with taking your eye's off the road.
Ever re-adjust your seat and need to adjust the mirrors? You do it by braille because you can't see the Lt/Rt. switch.
You feel lucky if you get the gas door button on the first try.
How about adjusting the cruise control while going around a curve? It ain't where you saw it last.

As you can tell, I like ALL the controls where I can see them.
Old 09-10-08, 05:43 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

buttons backlit and outside temperature displayed without punching it up.
Old 09-11-08, 04:19 PM
sail7seas
Driver School Candidate

I have a 330, and got to drive a 350 for a week,
while Lexus repaired the rear wheel bearings.

The RX 350 was way quicker in all gears, or mine 330 EEU needs help.
350 felt like it had 50 more HP than 330.
350 had better gas mileage(23 vs 21).
Anyway cornering felt the same.
The ECT was dramatically different. I could feel the throttle control with
the 350 was soften when the ECT is on.
I could not feel much throttle difference with the ETC on with the 330.
Old 09-12-08, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 350 engine is a big improvment technology wise compare to the 330.