RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE OR CHECK YOUR PCV VALVE
AT EACH OIL CHANGE
8.70%
EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE
4.35%
EVERY THIRD OIL CHANGE
0%
EVERY FORTH OIL CHANGE
8.70%
EVERY 6 MONTHS NO MATTER THE MILEAGE
8.70%
EVERY YEAR NO MATTER THE MILEAGE
26.09%
WHAT'S A PCV VALVE?
0%
I DON'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME IT WAS CHECKED
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Pcv valve poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 05:17 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcv valve poll

How often do you check or change your PCV valve?
Old 09-06-14, 06:26 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Very rarely. I changed it recently at 203,000 miles and it rattled just fine. It had 43,000 miles on it. I know my engine is clean enough to eat off of inside the covers so i'm less inclined to replace it often. I change my oil every 4k miles using a synthetic with a strong TBN rating.
Old 09-06-14, 07:33 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

110k miles ... with spark plugs.

Salim
Old 09-06-14, 07:34 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Every couple years for me, metal screw in type.
Old 09-21-14, 01:39 PM
Jaxix
Driver School Candidate

Hi
found out what a PCV valve was on here last week, so checked it, ( red plastic ), bit gunky, washed it in petrol, replaced.
Will check it every oil change now!

Is fourth spelled forth in the states?

Cheers Jason
Old 09-26-14, 02:59 PM
pilot2
Rookie

Default Frustrations with doing a poll...

At this time, 266 people have viewed this thread and only 12-people took a moment to participate in the poll. What's with the other 244 people ? They don't know what a PCV valve is or they want to keep what they do a secret. ;-) The 244, also known as the lurkers, non-participants.
Old 10-03-15, 10:32 AM
SandyBeach
Driver School Candidate

Smile Never Changed the PCV Valve

I want to thank everyone on this site who takes the time to post tips on how to maintain our valued vehicles. And I admit, I don't post too often but I'll try to going forward.

As far as changing the pcv valve, my 2000 rx300 has roughly 177k miles and I don't remember changing it once. I've just recently been doing my own oil changes, transmission fluid changes, rear diff change, transfer case change, brake fluid change, brakes and other basic items, but for the life of me, the pcv valve never pops in my mind to change. I guess it's just an item that doesn't get much exposure so if slips my mind. But it will be my next item that I will change.

I just cleaned my idle air control valve and mass air flow sensor yesterday. While I was waiting for the spray to evaporate, I decided to go and look at my pcv valve. There was a layer of crude around the valve so I wiped it clean. After I got that area wiped away, I disconnected the plastic hose from the valve and attempted to remove the valve. I wasn't sure if I had to unscrew or simply pull it off. After working this valve for about 10 minutes, I decided to give up and attempt it again at another time once I had a chance to review the procedure on this site.

After reading some tips on this site, I've come to the conclusion that you simply pull it off, maybe with the help of plyers or locking types. Also, someone recommended that you place a hook attached to a piece of line on the grommet so that you can retrieve it in case it falls into the hole or inside the engine compartment....just a tip. Also, to help make it easier to remove the pcv valve, I was wondering if I can simply spray some pb blaster or wd40 inside the valve to make it easier to slide off? Would that harm anything?

Cheers!
Old 10-03-15, 11:31 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Early year models have a pull off type pcv.
The rubber grommet get hard over time and pulling the PCV out becomes difficult. Spraying inside the hole will do you no good and it will end up in the oil.

Do not attempt to pull the PCV out without having a new grommet. Grommet most likely will not come out without ripping so be prepared. I would suggest controlled cutting. There is a baffle stop, so if no one has done anything to the valve cover then it will prevent the grommet from falling in. But you will have to retrieve it.

During installation the grommet goes in first and once it is seated, then insert the pcv. Use engine oil to lube (sparingly).

Salim
Old 10-03-15, 01:39 PM
SandyBeach
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the wonderful tips salimshah....you've always been a great resource for this site. Appreciate you.

Cheers!
Old 10-06-15, 06:42 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased rx with 83k on odometer and changed PCV and grommet @ 100k miles. Old one still rattled fine and I don't know how old it was but it had 17k miles at least.. Old grommet was a bit stiff but did not fall apart when I pulled it out. Don't plan on changing it again for another 15k miles or 5 years which ever comes first so couldn't find a proper vote for my intentions

I gutted the old valve and am keeping it around connected to a piece of hose so that I can pour in a bit of sea foam into the head just as I am getting ready for an oil change. All I do is pull the new valve up off grommet and slip the gutted one in place then pour an ounce of two of sea foam into it to soak up the baffle inside, usually overnight. Hope I'm doing good rather than bad
Old 10-06-15, 06:57 PM
trapreo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 6.0PSD
Purchased rx with 83k on odometer and changed PCV and grommet @ 100k miles. Old one still rattled fine and I don't know how old it was but it had 17k miles at least.. Old grommet was a bit stiff but did not fall apart when I pulled it out. Don't plan on changing it again for another 15k miles or 5 years which ever comes first so couldn't find a proper vote for my intentions

I gutted the old valve and am keeping it around connected to a piece of hose so that I can pour in a bit of sea foam into the head just as I am getting ready for an oil change. All I do is pull the new valve up off grommet and slip the gutted one in place then pour an ounce of two of sea foam into it to soak up the baffle inside, usually overnight. Hope I'm doing good rather than bad
I change it twice a year. I use the seafoam that foams up with the thin red straw down the hole. The foam will fill the baffle top and bottom. I use the standard motor products brand pcv because it has a smaller intake hole to prevent oil consumption.
Old 10-07-15, 05:33 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i only check my pcv valve when i confirm/suspect oil consumption. Since I upgraded the rear valve cover, i hope to never check it again during the rest of my ownership.
Old 10-07-15, 04:47 PM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i do mine at 20k. its a cheap $10 part, why not.