RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key not detected, both fobs have new batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 04:22 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key not detected, both fobs have new batteries

This started happening mysteriously this morning and continues throughout the day. Getting key not detected message, getting key not detected beeps after closing car door after stopping. Have replaced batteries on both fobs, to no avail, problem persists. Cannot lock or unlock car w/ remote. Can start / drive car, don't even need to put fob near the starter button. Thoughts? Thx
Old 07-30-16, 05:55 PM
nelsonsc
Driver School Candidate

Default Imho...

Originally Posted by bagofchips
This started happening mysteriously this morning and continues throughout the day. Getting key not detected message, getting key not detected beeps after closing car door after stopping. Have replaced batteries on both fobs, to no avail, problem persists. Cannot lock or unlock car w/ remote. Can start / drive car, don't even need to put fob near the starter button. Thoughts? Thx
...it's your door oscillator. In any case, you haven't any option than the dealer for security system issues.

IMMO system docs attached,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMMO System.pdf (2.66 MB, 7301 views)
File Type: pdf
SmartKey.pdf (818.7 KB, 2828 views)
Old 07-30-16, 08:43 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

Default Problem is "fixed" (or at least gone for now)

So here's an update. Got in the car this evening & same feckless fob before getting in. While waiting for somebody w/ engine running noticed my dash info display was set to dark (displaying nothing). I cycled first onto the parking proximity on/off and also the ECT on / off, I fiddled with them, just killing time. After driving about half a mile noticed my eco display wasn't doing anything (because ECT I'd left ON from aforementioned fiddling). Pulled over, put it in park, turned off ECT, got eco on, started driving again, eco was working. Parked the car a few miles later and the fob was working - was able to lock w/ remote, no beeping warning, no "key not detected" mssg. Car also unlocked by finger on handle. Oh, and forgot to mention while driving I did press the fob unlock button once, which seemed to do nothing (it's not supposed to do anything while car is in motion, maybe even if car is on?).

That's all I got for now.

If the door oscillator problem is somewhat transient (though it was reliably a problem all day long, several different drives), fine, because above activities don't seem like they'd do a damn thing. So willing to believe it's oscillator the source of the problem, but hoping otherwise naturally.

Last edited by bagofchips; 07-30-16 at 08:48 PM. Reason: grammar