RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Smart Key not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 01:20 PM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Key not working

Hey, i'm having a bit of difficulty with my Key Fob

i have two Key fobs one master, one spare; my master Key isn't working while my spare is.

issue -
  • Key sending signal (red dot appearing on press, sign signal is working?).
  • Car showing no sign of key being near or in the car (usually car would unlock being near it with key)
  • Car doesn't Start atall (press to ignition isn't doing anything).
  • All Key functions (lock, unlock,trunk etc) not working.
  • Spare Key is working just fine all issues above isn't with this key (Spare Key working as intended)

First thought was to obviously replace battery...i tried that still didn't work...i tried the method where you would put the Fob near the ignition button to start it...still didn't work. (no lights are on in the car, car is purely off not an ounce of response) by the way i had to manually open the car with the Key through the socket to open the doors.

note i have a 2012 RX 350, i bought it used at 14k miles it is now sitting at 20k miles i've had this car for about a year (bought it in late 2014, or early 2015 not entirely sure bought it on a whim...).

I called the dealership..after like literally 10 holds and transfers...i got connected to "parts" and the guy said pretty much if my other key is working and this key isn't then it's a faulty key of some sort... and would need to be replaced or fixed...he checked if my car had warranty still he said warranty begun jan 21, 2012 and warranty finished the past jan...he said it's either 4 year warranty or 50k which ever came first...so meaning if i drove 50k miles warranty would not cover me...or if i hit the 4 year mark before i hit 50k miles since warranty started it would not cover me...i clearly hit the latter....and they said they would call me back on monday and see if there are any other warranties that i may have or factory warranty can help me with...

i mean i'm kind of lost for words...obviously i can still drive as i have the spare key..but if this goes out too....i'm screwed...and the parts guy told me that i should fix this soon because if both keys go bad it's going to cost like 1k+ for brand new ones...better to fix and replace one when it will only cost like 300-350..

now he is right...but i'm really bummed out about this having a car for about a year...any only putting 6k miles and key goes bad already...that's just lame.....has anyone faced something like this...or know what else i can do? I'm not really a car person so i just took the "parts" guy word for it..my cousin/roommates are telling me they'd rather you just buy a brand new one or replace it with them than you fixing it so you spend your money...blah blah...but i don't know what i am to do...clearly i'm leaning towards fixing it at dealership for 350...but if there's another way i'd really appreciate it to save around 300 bucks...i'd really hope someone can help me out if possible.

Last edited by cheapshot; 07-09-16 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 01:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Try the mechanical key in the door lock cylinder. If it doesn't work then
the key is not to that car. Here at a dealership we have too many keys.
Perhaps you have a key from a previous Lexus? Might you have gotten
it back after a service but your car started because you had the second
(valid) key on you?
If the mechanical key does work then it needs to be (re)programmed.
Take both to a dealer and let them use the tech scan and sort it out.
Old 07-09-16, 01:39 PM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Try the mechanical key in the door lock cylinder. If it doesn't work then
the key is not to that car. Here at a dealership we have too many keys.
Perhaps you have a key from a previous Lexus? Might you have gotten
it back after a service but your car started because you had the second
(valid) key on you?
If the mechanical key does work then it needs to be (re)programmed.
Take both to a dealer and let them use the tech scan and sort it out.
yeah the mechanical key works to get in thats how i got in to test the ignition button.

if i take it to the dealers and they use a tech scan are they going to charge me for that too tho?

it feels like such a simple fix...but can cost soo much...
Old 07-09-16, 02:02 PM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapshot
yeah the mechanical key works to get in thats how i got in to test the ignition button.

if i take it to the dealers and they use a tech scan are they going to charge me for that too tho?

it feels like such a simple fix...but can cost soo much...
I just had to laugh when I read that, and then glanced at your user name
Old 07-09-16, 03:44 PM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheSnowman
I just had to laugh when I read that, and then glanced at your user name

lol... : /
Old 07-10-16, 01:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If you are in a big major metro city area, you might want to call the local locksmiths. Many of them are also mobile and can reprogram your key fob on the fly. I don't know how much they charge, but if they want your business, they probably will give a deal cheaper than the dealer.

Ironically these key fobs are not really protecting the real owners of the car (in this case you and I), but the "bad guys" with the right tools and technology can get into your Lexus (or any car with the electronic keyless fob wireless systems) very easily and drive off with your Lexus in a matter of some 40 seconds or less.

The following video showed a video somewhere in Long Beach CA where thieves made off with a Lexus GX SUV (looks to me a GX not an LX, but it does not matter since pretty much all Lexus and other car manufacturers share the same technology with this keyless FOB wireless system). From the time the thieves walk up to the SUV to the time the thieves drove off the SUV, it was like under 28 seconds !!!!!

At 08:55

Also later on in the video, the newscaster took the red Lexus ES350 to a local locksmith WITHOUT any key fob. The local locksmith was able to OPEN and DRIVE off the LOCKED red Lexus EX350 totally without a key fob. Took a little while (about 30 minutes or so).

At 10:06

lol... : /

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-10-16 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 07:52 AM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
If you are in a big major metro city area, you might want to call the local locksmiths. Many of them are also mobile and can reprogram your key fob on the fly. I don't know how much they charge, but if they want your business, they probably will give a deal cheaper than the dealer.

Ironically these key fobs are not really protecting the real owners of the car (in this case you and I), but the "bad guys" with the right tools and technology can get into your Lexus (or any car with the electronic keyless fob wireless systems) very easily and drive off with your Lexus in a matter of some 40 seconds or less.

The following video showed a video somewhere in Long Beach CA where thieves made off with a Lexus GX SUV (looks to me a GX not an LX, but it does not matter since pretty much all Lexus and other car manufacturers share the same technology with this keyless FOB wireless system). From the time the thieves walk up to the SUV to the time the thieves drove off the SUV, it was like under 28 seconds !!!!!

At 08:55

High-tech car theft: How to hack a car (CBC Marketplace) - YouTube

Also later on in the video, the newscaster took the red Lexus ES350 to a local locksmith WITHOUT any key fob. The local locksmith was able to OPEN and DRIVE off the LOCKED red Lexus EX350 totally without a key fob. Took a little while (about 30 minutes or so).

At 10:06

High-tech car theft: How to hack a car (CBC Marketplace) - YouTube
soo...what i got out of that was.....buy a key programmer... o.0

but that was an interesting watch, i thought push to starts were safer....i guess they're just more susceptible to smarter thieves and keep the dumb ones away...good thing i'm in america then lol and the smart thieves are going for the quarter mill + cars and the dumb ones are going for beat up cars : /

Last edited by cheapshot; 07-10-16 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 08:41 AM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

lol my car battery died now! lol now i have to go buy a battery too LOL...slay me lord!
Old 07-10-16, 01:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The bad guys got it all figured out.

They steal high end cars and SUVS and ship them mostly to China/Russia /Mongolia/middle east.

While the older cars/SUVS mostly go to Africa and South America.

soo...what i got out of that was.....buy a key programmer... o.0

but that was an interesting watch, i thought push to starts were safer....i guess they're just more susceptible to smarter thieves and keep the dumb ones away...good thing i'm in america then lol and the smart thieves are going for the quarter mill + cars and the dumb ones are going for beat up cars : /
Old 07-10-16, 01:26 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I don't think you are having any luck with these modern cars with keyless fobs.

Perhaps may I suggest a vehicle at least 35 years old with an old fashioned key. So insert and turn and put in gear and off you go. BTW, hand cranked windows too. 😢

lol my car battery died now! lol now i have to go buy a battery too LOL...slay me lord!
Old 07-10-16, 01:27 PM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

The bad guys got it all figured out.

They steal high end cars and SUVS and ship them mostly to China/Russia /Mongolia/middle east.

While the older cars/SUVS mostly go to Africa and South America.
Well i'm a glass half full type of guy hopefully it doesn't happen to me but nothing i can honestly do to prevent it at this point : / i mean if someone REALLY wants to steal something nothing can really prevent them now a days from getting it....
Old 07-10-16, 01:29 PM
cheapshot
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you are having any luck with these modern cars with keyless fobs.

Perhaps may I suggest a vehicle at least 35 years old with an old fashioned key. So insert and turn and put in gear and off you go. BTW, hand cranked windows too. 😢
my first car was a.... UGLY PURPLE 1980s toyota Camry lol... good times haha
Old 07-12-16, 10:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Haha, I had an old GREEN AMC Hornet from the 70's !!! So old that the ignition on the steering column decided to malfunction one morning and I was in a hurry so in the process I stuck in a screw driver and the car started!! Ever since, NO KEY REQUIRED TO START!! Passenger doors was wrecked SHUT so even with a key, it will not open. Didn't really have to worry about anyone trying to steal it at all. LOL

my first car was a.... UGLY PURPLE 1980s toyota Camry lol... good times haha