LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Key is Different

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 01:28 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Key is Different

I "programmed" a new master key today in my 2006 (w/smart key), but have a small issue. The car recognizes the key when I walk up to it, unlocks. All the buttons work (lock, unlock and trunk). Techstream recognizes it as a master as it should. However, when I put the key in the ignition I get the red triangle and message "key is different". I can start the car without putting the key in the ignition. It just won't work when the key is inserted. Been trying to look up and find out if I missed something, but can't really find anything. If anyone has any info that can help would be great.

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited by 02Legend; 12-17-16 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-17-16, 06:00 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you programmed your own key?
Old 12-17-16, 07:04 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Legend
I "programmed" a new master key today in my 2006 (w/smart key), but have a small issue. The car recognizes the key when I walk up to it, unlocks. All the buttons work (lock, unlock and trunk). Techstream recognizes it as a master as it should. However, when I put the key in the ignition I get the red triangle and message "key is different". I can start the car without putting the key in the ignition. It just won't work when the key is inserted. Been trying to look up and find out if I missed something, but can't really find anything. If anyone has any info that can help would be great.

Thanks,
Nate
nate,are you sure you didnt have the other master key in you pocket and the new one in your hand?
years ago i had the reverse.it would start the car with key in the ignition but wouldnt do anything else.
Old 12-17-16, 10:38 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS430cb
Wow, you programmed your own key?
Yep, used Techstream.
Old 12-17-16, 10:40 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
nate,are you sure you didnt have the other master key in you pocket and the new one in your hand?
years ago i had the reverse.it would start the car with key in the ignition but wouldnt do anything else.
I did initially when allowing me to enter the program sequence, then I put the key inside my place to make sure it was far enough away from the car. May just start fresh tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited by 02Legend; 12-17-16 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 03:44 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Been trying to look up and find out if I missed something, but can't really find anything. If anyone has any info that can help would be great.

Thanks,
Nate
These pages from the repair manual may provide you with additional information. Good luck!
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
02Legend (12-18-16), HauntedKen (06-15-18)
Old 12-18-16, 03:53 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
These pages from the repair manual may provide you with additional information. Good luck!
Thanks RKW, as usual you come through with information to help. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read through it this week and try again. I appreciate it.
Old 12-18-16, 05:58 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, used Techstream.
How much to program two for me, had a locksmith attempt to program them.
Old 12-19-16, 04:57 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS430cb
How much to program two for me, had a locksmith attempt to program them.
I won't charge you. We can try it out. I don't want to guarantee anything since I am having the small issue with mine until I try it again. I live in Jessup MD, shoot me a PM and we can set something up.
Old 12-20-16, 07:30 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Doctor: So, what is the problem?
Patient: It hurts when I do this.
Doctor: So, don't do that. $85, please...
Old 02-18-17, 02:48 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

I finally got time to take another stab at it. RKW, the documents did help with the step process to look through in Techstream. So initially I added the new smart key and all of the wireless features and proximity stuff worked. But I also had to go into the "steering lock" section and then add the physical key there with the ignition. All is working as it should now.
The following users liked this post:
HauntedKen (06-15-18)
Old 03-16-17, 09:19 AM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No master key?

Yes, I'm understanding so far. By the way, just got response back from the seller & this is what he says about the key that comes with the unit.
" the only purpose of the key being sent with the unit is to reprogram your key to work with this unit"
So is this gonna work for me with the existing blade that I have? I assume it will as long as I can turn the key & enter programming mode? I can send you the link to the item if it helps you to be able to understand better if the whole process will be a success. I just don't want to bother you with having to scroll about on eBay if it's going to be too much of an inconvenience. I really cannot begin to convey how helpful you've been so far. Just let me know if you want me to send you the link & I do truly appreciate your time & patience involved with helping me out. For someone to volunteer their time & effort is truly a rare thing these days. It is much appreciated.
Old 03-18-17, 02:46 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crossface
Yes, I'm understanding so far. By the way, just got response back from the seller & this is what he says about the key that comes with the unit.
" the only purpose of the key being sent with the unit is to reprogram your key to work with this unit"
So is this gonna work for me with the existing blade that I have? I assume it will as long as I can turn the key & enter programming mode? I can send you the link to the item if it helps you to be able to understand better if the whole process will be a success. I just don't want to bother you with having to scroll about on eBay if it's going to be too much of an inconvenience. I really cannot begin to convey how helpful you've been so far. Just let me know if you want me to send you the link & I do truly appreciate your time & patience involved with helping me out. For someone to volunteer their time & effort is truly a rare thing these days. It is much appreciated.
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. When you mention existing blade, I'm assuming you have a 2001-2003 LS430. Mine is a 2006 with the smart key. Send me the link to the posting and I'll take a look at it.
Old 10-06-22, 11:15 AM
amjalara
3rd Gear

02Legend how did you finally fix the issue. I read through the registration instruction using techstream and I have not been able to get my 2nd master key recognized and get error "Key is different". Please let me know what you id if you have a minute. Thanks
Old 10-07-22, 07:15 AM
amjalara
3rd Gear

Figured it out: "Key is different" means key has not been matched to steering column lock. In main screen of techstream can register key going to: steering column - utility. This will allow the key to be inserted in ignition to start car. To register the key so the buttons work is done from main menu in theft deterrent - utility. There are two different places in the main menu you have to go and register keys. Have a blessed day!!

Quick Reply: Key is Different