RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Interior is beautiful

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 06:38 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwd
You do know that the X5 is built in the USA right?

I still think you are comparing apples to oranges, you should compare the X5's price to a RX non-hybrid and the X5 hybrid to the RX450h.
Yes I am aware that the X5 is made in the good 'ol USA but the RXh is made in Japan (and some 350s but those you have to special order and wait). I personally believe the standards and craftsmanship over in Japan are higher but that's just me. Let me clarify again. I narrowed down my two choices to X5 and RX. I don't really care if its hybrid or not as long as the overall price is similar with similar options and accessories, not including the drivetrain. If i have to pay 50K for an RX or X5, I rather get the RXh which is made in Japan and also because of Lexus reputation for reliability.
Old 01-06-11, 08:41 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
When we price out a X5 premium with comparable options, it was close to $65000, $10000 more than the RXh and the X5 doesn’t even have hybrid drive.
Oh well, i didnt even attempt to price one out because I am so convinced that with the price point and the japanese assembly, I no longer have to even consider the x5 even if it is the exact same price, which is very unlikely. after seeing and driving the rx in real life, i know its the right car. i didnt even have to drive the x5 or pursue it further.
Old 01-06-11, 08:53 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
I always check out all my options before I commit to spending this kind of money, because you never know. When we were shopping for a SUV, we must have test drove 6 different one. Anyways, congrats on your RXh and get yourself a nice BMW 335i to fulfill your childhood dreams
OMG, thats exactly what i have in mind too!!! HAHAHA. Seriously, I know that if i ever get a second car, it will not need to be a big car for the family. it can be a car driven for pure driving excitement. the 335 is exactly what i have in mind. its either that or an acura tl but the 335 is definitely the best in that class. i live in NYC so i ride the subway every day to work. now if i find another job out farther beyond the city, that could be a reason to get another car. Wow, great minds think alike!
Old 01-06-11, 12:43 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
Lol, thats a good one. The RX is a great car, but add a nice sporty sedan and you will have the best of both world.
Forget the Acura TL, its ugly and its slow and doesnt handle as well the 335. I use to be a die hard Honda fan too, but their new styling are really a big turn off for me. Acura consider themself as a performance car company and yet they dont even have a V8 or V6 turbo. Honda and Acura are also notorious for thin sheet metals as well.
I must admit, if you take the train to work everyday, its hard to justify buying a new BMW, but the kid will grow up one day and you will be in your BMW soon enough
Yes, after driving a Civic for 3 years and then an Accord for 7 years, i notice the drawbacks of Hondas. They do use paper thin sheetmetal. I think its for lowering weight and fuel economy but its one thing that bugs me about their cars. It gives the feeling of "cheap" and flimsy although they are still safe cars because of structural design but still...

I think Honda was working on a V8 after criticisms over the years of having their top of the line cars run on a V6, which they just keep retuning and retuning to generate more horsepower. But torque matters a lot too when it comes to luxury cars and a V6 just cant compare to a V8. They do a have turbo 4 (think RDX) but its a 4.

As for the new line of Acuras, its either you hate them or you love them. i think the TL is a good deal for the money. I can live with the styling. Besides, the interior is nice. Honda usually gives you tons of stuff for the money and they all come in trims, ie DX, LX, EX. I love that model of car shopping because everything was so simple. When i started shopping for the Lexus, my head was spinning with all the available options and packages and the starting price is never a realistic price because thats without anything added. Its like saying the RX cost $30K for 4 wheels and the body and seats cost extra. The Honda model is muccchhhhh better in this aspect.
Old 01-06-11, 01:38 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
There use to be a old joke among the Honda Acura circle, the Honda sheet metals are so thin that if you cough on them it will make a dent. Toyota and Lexus is somewhere in the middle as far as the thinkness of their sheet metal, European luxury cars have thinker sheet metals.
Some rumor suggest the new Acura RL might have an V8 option, I am not sure if thats still the case since I havent been keeping up to date to the latest RL rumors. An Acura V6 supercharged or turbocharged engine will produce the torque of a V8, but I dont think Acura quite have the turbocharged engine design down pack yet, the RDX is a perfect example.
The top of the line TL is close to $40, its no longer a bargain. I still like the interior of the new TL, but thr front and rear design is hated by many. The Navi system on my old MDX was one of the best I have ever used. The interior is generally nice but with way too many buttons, also, the leather on the acura are on the cheap side.
i havent really priced out the 335 yet but i can assume it will cost more than $40k when comparably equipped right? i also thought about the g35 but dont really want to own a nissan product. i still think $40k fully loaded with all the toys and tech is not bad but will probably get the standard model since its very generously equipped to begin with. that goes for both the tl and 335. if money eventually becomes an issue i can always fall back to my backup plan of the is250 redesign or a back-to-basics next-gen civic.
Old 01-07-11, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cwd
There use to be a old joke among the Honda Acura circle, the Honda sheet metals are so thin that if you cough on them it will make a dent. Toyota and Lexus is somewhere in the middle as far as the thinkness of their sheet metal, European luxury cars have thinker sheet metals.
Some rumor suggest the new Acura RL might have an V8 option, I am not sure if thats still the case since I havent been keeping up to date to the latest RL rumors. An Acura V6 supercharged or turbocharged engine will produce the torque of a V8, but I dont think Acura quite have the turbocharged engine design down pack yet, the RDX is a perfect example.
The top of the line TL is close to $40, its no longer a bargain. I still like the interior of the new TL, but thr front and rear design is hated by many. The Navi system on my old MDX was one of the best I have ever used. The interior is generally nice but with way too many buttons, also, the leather on the acura are on the cheap side.
Honda's CEO himself stated Acura is not going to be in the same class as Lexus/Benz. No V-8, RWD or anything. The next RL will follow the GS 450h and be a hybrid.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/11/08...-not-top-tier/

Acura has no V8 engine, no halo sports car and is no where close becoming a top tier luxury brand – and it looks like things are going to stay that way.

In an interview with Automotive News, Honda Motor CEO Takanobu Ito said that there are a lot of discussions going on inside the company about Acura and why way it should be going. He said that executives have so far decided that the brand’s “direction should be smart premium, not top tier.”

“Among the technologies we have at Honda, we must apply those that symbolize our advanced performance technology and environmental technology,” Ito said. “We call this ‘smart.’ We agreed that smart premium is what we should be targeting with Acura, not the upper-segment vehicles such as Lexus or Mercedes-Benz. We must apply advanced technologies which make our vehicle more fun to drive, achieve a more comfortable drive and high environmental performance.
Old 01-07-11, 10:57 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ZiggyZiggy, this is my second Lexus vehicle. I drove a 2007 Lexus RX350 for four years, and I absolutely loved it. Though it took me a little while to embrace the 2010 RX350, I've come to really appreciate it after driving it for six months. Plus, don't forget the excellent service and treatment that you get from the Lexus dealership. My experience these past four-and-a-half years has been excellent with my dealership.

Also, I don't think I would worry too much as far as the vehicle being better built in Canada or Japan. Both of my RX's came from the Canadian plant, and the 2007 was great with no problems, and so far everything is good with the 2010.