RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 01:26 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau cover

Is it just me in saying the tonneau cover is not very useful? after owning my 10RXh car for a month, i took it out because it was preventing large boxes and dog crate from fitting. i thought it was for privacy and use to cover you cargo from prying eyes when parked but the rear glass is so dark that you cant see through anyways...am i mistaken? so what exactly is the main purpose of the cover?
Old 01-06-11, 01:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
Is it just me in saying the tonneau cover is not very useful? after owning my 10RXh car for a month, i took it out because it was preventing large boxes and dog crate from fitting. i thought it was for privacy and use to cover you cargo from prying eyes when parked but the rear glass is so dark that you cant see through anyways...am i mistaken? so what exactly is the main purpose of the cover?
My cover is in my attic as well as the cover that was in my last generation RX.
Old 01-06-11, 01:39 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My cover is in my attic as well as the cover that was in my last generation RX.
mine is in the storage closet and do not see a reason or timeframe for taking it back out...
Old 01-06-11, 01:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The cover doesn't retract anymore when the tail gate is opened which understandably makes it more difficult to put big stuff in the back. I'm keeping mine in to avoid advertising what's there - a cooler filled with water and a blanket. My luck, someone who is cold and thirsty would break in

I want to know what is that little cover under the tail gate window for
Old 01-06-11, 02:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ I havent figured that out either...
Old 01-06-11, 02:31 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Yeah that little cover...I tried pulling on it, nothing...
Old 01-06-11, 02:43 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

It matches up with the tonneau cover when its pulled out all the way to provide "full" coverage, but it mostly ends up hitting anything large we put in the back.

I agree the cover is pretty useless. Our 09 Murano had a useless one as well. Ours is in the attic.
Old 01-06-11, 02:44 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that little cover...I tried pulling on it, nothing...
If you pull up on it, it will come out. There should be some small directions underneath showing how it works.
Old 01-06-11, 07:34 PM
TR3XX
Pole Position

I'm thinking of taking mine off as well. We put our baby stroller in it the other day and it was definitely getting in the way. Anyone need a spare cover? :lol:
Old 01-06-11, 08:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did remove this tonneau cover once, but everyone could clearly see what's insides my cargo area. So I put it back for the safety purpose.
Old 01-06-11, 09:56 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

I leave expensive items in my car occasionally and I'd rather people not be able to see them. Less incentive to break in. People break into cars for things like iPods, cell phones, and GPS units left on dashboards. Why wouldn't they break in for something that looks like a laptop bag or shopping bags that look like they're filled with expensive items? During the day you can see right through the privacy glass.
Old 01-07-11, 04:31 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

That cover does conceal what you have in the area but the knocking is driving me crazy. I keep it on because it does add a certain level of comfort as far as security but it is getting to me.
Old 01-07-11, 05:20 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

I didn't know the rear glass is very transparent in daylight.

On a side note. Where do u live and what is your license plate number...

Originally Posted by panyo64
I leave expensive items in my car occasionally and I'd rather people not be able to see them. Less incentive to break in. People break into cars for things like iPods, cell phones, and GPS units left on dashboards. Why wouldn't they break in for something that looks like a laptop bag or shopping bags that look like they're filled with expensive items? During the day you can see right through the privacy glass.
Old 01-07-11, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I didn't know the rear glass is very transparent in daylight.

On a side note. Where do u live and what is your license plate number...
LMAO. I guess we'll have to hunt him down

Parking in NYC can be brutal. Parents had several bags of cheap kitty litter stolen out of their station wagon years ago. Car was only parked on the street for two hours near a busy uptown hospital. It was visible through the windows - no tint. Cost $140 to repair the broken window for $10 worth of litter
Old 01-07-11, 08:34 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
LMAO. I guess we'll have to hunt him down

Parking in NYC can be brutal. Parents had several bags of cheap kitty litter stolen out of their station wagon years ago. Car was only parked on the street for two hours near a busy uptown hospital. It was visible through the windows - no tint. Cost $140 to repair the broken window for $10 worth of litter
i know exactly what you mean. sometimes silly kids just go around smashing windows at night for no apparent reason. i have never had anything stolen from my car before but somebody did throw a brick through my passenger side window in attempt to steal but ran off after being witnessed. the most annoying part was that the window originally was tinted but then i didnt bother retinting because i was gonna sell it and the passenger side was always overheating under the sun.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover