RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Iphone- Blutooth controls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 08:32 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clankli
I have a 2010 RX350 with navigation and am considering an iphone through Verizon. Will it connect to the car via the bluetooth, and allow calls to be made like other model phones?
Assuming Verizon doesn't cripple Bluetooth Hands-free (and I have no reason to think they would), yeah, the RX has great support for it. You can navigate the phone's contact list on the screen, use voice recognition for dialing (e.g., "Call Joe Smith mobile"), etc. Works great!
Old 01-12-11, 08:35 AM
clankli
Driver School Candidate

I have an ipod mini that I leave in my car connected via USB and have no problems accessing it through my stereo. If I get an iphone, and connect via bluetooth so I can use the phone portion, will it mess up the ipod connected via USB when I select the USB option for music?
Old 01-12-11, 09:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by clankli
I have an ipod mini that I leave in my car connected via USB and have no problems accessing it through my stereo. If I get an iphone, and connect via bluetooth so I can use the phone portion, will it mess up the ipod connected via USB when I select the USB option for music?
nope, i do the same thing. I have an ipod nano hooked up but also have connected my iphone via BT for music streaming. Notice how there are two tabs in the audio screen (once both are hooked up labeled BT and USB) and you can click on either one to use the one you want
Old 03-12-11, 07:58 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Does iOS 4.3 help?

Apple released iOS 4.3, but for iPhones, only for the 3GS and the 4 GSM (in the U.S., that would be the AT&T version) models. I have the CDMA (Verizon) iPhone 4, so I'm stuck on 4.2.6 for now.

I'm curious to know if iOS 4.3 adds the missing Bluetooth audio functionality, such as having anything more than Play or Pause on the Nav screen. Has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-11, 02:32 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using iphone4 (Ver 4.1) to play pause, fwd and rev with the steering wheel. Be able to do anything but only the contact transfer didn't work. Everytime I do transfer i got disconnect, press CANCEL on the wheel then the Iphone automatic re-connected. However adding one by one contact works fine. Tried with another Iphone 3GS still had the same problem.
PS: I don't have Nav
Old 10-17-11, 07:24 PM
fussellj1
Driver School Candidate

Default iphone/bluetooth

Is it possible to specify which track to play through the bluetooth without sorting through all 3000 songs on the iphone??

Also, is it possible to view entire song library better with USB cord?

Old 10-17-11, 07:24 PM
fussellj1
Driver School Candidate

Also I'm having trouble with the iphone function while using the bluetooth wireless music function. Any suggestions
Old 10-18-11, 03:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The best use is the USB function. You will be able to control which library/album/artist etc., you want. And another plus is keeping the ipod charged.
Blue tooth works as far as transmitting to the radio but you have to use the ipod itself to select music. Kinda hard to do and unsafe while driving.
Originally Posted by fussellj1
Also I'm having trouble with the iphone function while using the bluetooth wireless music function. Any suggestions
Old 10-18-11, 11:22 AM
fussellj1
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tip. using the BT seemed kinda dangerous and counterintuitive to all the other safety features designed to keep your eyes on the road
Old 10-18-11, 12:45 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe it's just me but the quality of any bluetooth streaming music is not at par with those that are hooked on a cable.. even though they're the same format and same bitrate.
i find them lower in volume and of much degraded quality, even with an ML sound system.
Ex same song on my iphone 4 ( bluetooth streaming) vs the same song on my ipod ( hooked)
Old 10-20-11, 08:06 PM
fussellj1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
maybe it's just me but the quality of any bluetooth streaming music is not at par with those that are hooked on a cable.. even though they're the same format and same bitrate.
i find them lower in volume and of much degraded quality, even with an ML sound system.
Ex same song on my iphone 4 ( bluetooth streaming) vs the same song on my ipod ( hooked)
yeah. that's definitely the case i've had too since following the above advice (cable far superior to streaming bluetooth)... i've even noticed distortion in the sound (sounds like a lagging cassette tape) when the bluetooth music is interrupted by a text or moving the phone rapidly around. i'll stick with the cables
Old 12-12-11, 02:58 PM
PlanetBoye
Driver School Candidate

Default iPhone audio solution

Got my 2012 RX 450h two days ago. Spent some time today playing with my iPhone 3GS w/ iOS5 and iCloud. Not satisfied with the way Bluetooth or USB works through Navigation screens. Will probably drop back and simply use audio the AUX cable and charge it with power adapter.

Haven't done much with the Phone thru Bluetooth yet.

I think the next generation of cars should just put an iPad in the dash and be done with it.

Lovin' the RX so far... driven it for a whole 54 miles. hahaha
Old 11-09-12, 03:01 PM
kspec
Driver School Candidate

is there a way to get iphone/ipod videos to the rx450 nav screen?
Old 07-19-15, 10:19 AM
Johnknee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone else still having problems with the bluetooth controls?
Old 07-19-15, 03:08 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnknee
Is anyone else still having problems with the bluetooth controls?
This is a three year old thread with lots of discussion, and we can't tell what problem you're having, so it's hard to reply -- at least for me. I suggest you break out those manuals, and do a couple other searches here if need be with keywords about the issue your having, then if that does not help, post your specific problem in an appropriate thread or open a new one so we can try to help.

Since there are zillions of combinations or possible issues and symptoms you may be running into, be sure to include the model iPhone you have, what level iOS you are running and if you have Nav or not on the specific MY RX you have. ...there have been past issues with (much) older iPhones and with now very down level iOS levels, but I've had no Bluetooth issues whatsoever with my former iPhone 5, and now 6 running every supported iOS release for those models. You'll find other threads where interference may have been the problem, etc as well.