RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Matador Red is Mine...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 10:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sandi, It will soften up after a few thousand miles, but not by much. New tires might make more of a difference? What kind of tires do you have on those 19 Inch rims, if you have Bridgestone or Dunlops, you can definitely make the ride better with some new tires. If you have Michelin, then its about as good as the ride is going to get.
Old 12-03-09, 12:59 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot... great color! Had a 06 IS350 in that color. Looked great and loved washing and polishing it... always saw something new.
Old 12-03-09, 05:15 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sandi, It will soften up after a few thousand miles, but not by much. New tires might make more of a difference? What kind of tires do you have on those 19 Inch rims, if you have Bridgestone or Dunlops, you can definitely make the ride better with some new tires. If you have Michelin, then its about as good as the ride is going to get.
It's got Dunlops on it now.

I got a call back from the salesman - he is talking to Lexus Tech about possibly swapping out the springs or shocks to soften up the ride. More to follow...

Sandi
Old 12-03-09, 05:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you get softer springs, Im assuming they would put on the regular ones on (non-sports package), so wouldnt that erase the benefits of the sports package then?
Old 12-03-09, 08:27 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
if you get softer springs, Im assuming they would put on the regular ones on (non-sports package), so wouldnt that erase the benefits of the sports package then?
GiantsFan - I ordered the car without actually having the chance to test drive it. The few reviews of the sport package had said the ride was stiffer in cornering, but not harsher. I don't agree.

It's probably not going to go any further than inquiries, but it's good to explore the options. It's probably cheaper to swap springs than to get a different car.

Just a note for others interested in the differences, since the sports package is relatively unknown and unreviewed....

Sandi
Old 12-03-09, 09:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
GiantsFan - I ordered the car without actually having the chance to test drive it. The few reviews of the sport package had said the ride was stiffer in cornering, but not harsher. I don't agree.

It's probably not going to go any further than inquiries, but it's good to explore the options. It's probably cheaper to swap springs than to get a different car.

Just a note for others interested in the differences, since the sports package is relatively unknown and unreviewed....

Sandi
ah ok ... Hopefully lexus does something to accommodate you. Too bad they dont have the 60 day return policy like GM but if lexus doesn't do anything for you, there is always aftermarket springs or coils
Old 12-04-09, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It's got Dunlops on it now.

I got a call back from the salesman - he is talking to Lexus Tech about possibly swapping out the springs or shocks to soften up the ride. More to follow...

Sandi
Those Dunlop grandtrek are really bad riding tires, I would as the dealer about the possibility of changing them to Michelin.
If you change the shocks or the spring, you are back to a regular RX350, then all that waiting for a sport package is wasted.
Old 12-04-09, 08:52 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Not true, G Man.

I also got VDIM, and the 19" alloy wheels as part of the package. Oh, and it was manufactured in Japan, which is also worth something to me.

Sandi
Old 12-04-09, 09:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Not true, G Man.

I also got VDIM, and the 19" alloy wheels as part of the package. Oh, and it was manufactured in Japan, which is also worth something to me.

Sandi
Build in japan certainly menas something. VDIM is just a fancy stability system, no big deal, and the 19" rim is part of the problem that cause the bad ride right?
Old 12-04-09, 11:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Build in japan certainly menas something. VDIM is just a fancy stability system, no big deal, and the 19" rim is part of the problem that cause the bad ride right?
Gman
I've been quite and just watching and reading for quite a while. But you keep posting info as if you're a tech rep or seasoned owner of a 2010 model but I've not seen a post yet that you do own one. Hmm

I do, it's a 450h and has VDIM and it 'IS' a fancy stability system, not 'just' one so please don't short change it. I've felt it work when going up my parents driveway that was very steep, very wet, and loaded with about 1-2" of pine straw. Also, I have the 19" rims with Michelin's and for this type of car, I doubt Lexus missed the mark at all. They will be purchased again when needed and not 2nd guessed.

I think you mean well and purchased an earlier model but if you don't have one (2010 RX) then you can't be positive and shouldn't make presumptive comments. Sorry, but I just had to jump in. If I missed the post that you DID purchase one then you have my humble apology.
Old 12-09-09, 10:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Cruiter, I apologize if I offended you in anyway. You are right in saying that I used to own a RX but that was my wife's car 2 cars ago, but I did some research on VDIM when I was shopping for a GS.
The Lexus stability is already one of the best in the business, the VDIM just enchance it further. The biggest advantage of the VDIM is brake by wire, the ability for the computer to vary brake pedal ratio under different conditions. I not sure about you, but I am still a bit nervous about drive by wire, I am simply not ready for brake by wire yet. The advantage of brake by wire system is not as apparent as the drive by wire. As you know, drive a wire is a must for any car with a stability control system.