RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 06:57 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

just click the lock button twice( one after the other) and hold it when you click it for the 3rd time. Also there should be a sticker on driver side front window from factory.
Old 01-30-17, 07:02 PM
applemac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 2010 and I am THRILLED to discover, unexpectedly, that it has remote start! The only reason for remote start, that matters to me, is pre-heating and pre-cooling. Whoo Hoo! Bring on the cold! I LOVE this car. Makes me feel like a princess...queen. Well, maybe a spoiled old woman!
Old 01-31-17, 05:21 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

One thing I wished Lexus will change is the fact the engine stops as soon as I open the door and will have to restart.

Originally Posted by applemac
Just bought a 2010 and I am THRILLED to discover, unexpectedly, that it has remote start! The only reason for remote start, that matters to me, is pre-heating and pre-cooling. Whoo Hoo! Bring on the cold! I LOVE this car. Makes me feel like a princess...queen. Well, maybe a spoiled old woman!
Old 02-22-17, 07:22 PM
lebahawk
Driver School Candidate

i agree the way Lexus integrated the RS wasn't well studied. They could have done a better job especially with the annoying fact that engine will shut off as soon as you touch the door handle and you will have to re-start once your in the vehicle.
Old 08-02-17, 08:13 AM
harut2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about remote start

Hi, so I have 2 questions about the remote start feature.
1) The distance it works at is 9 meters (30 feet) but that's really short, is there something I can buy to upgrade/increase it? Can I install some components of other long-range remotes on it but keep some parts of the stock one?
2) When I open the door, the engine turns off. Is there a way to disable it?
The following users liked this post:
Stephierox (11-03-22)
Old 08-02-17, 08:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I do not know of any way to increase the range and no, you can't disable the fact that the engine turns off when opening a door.
The following users liked this post:
harut2k (08-02-17)
Old 08-02-17, 09:22 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by lebahawk
i agree the way Lexus integrated the RS wasn't well studied. They could have done a better job especially with the annoying fact that engine will shut off as soon as you touch the door handle and you will have to re-start once your in the vehicle.
Would that not be part of security and safety? Imagine you are nearby (with the key FOB in pocket) and child climbs in. One can think of other possibilities but some where convenience or safety has to be put on the balance. We can always disect it further, but it has to stop at a point.

Salim
Old 08-02-17, 10:48 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Would that not be part of security and safety? Imagine you are nearby (with the key FOB in pocket) and child climbs in. One can think of other possibilities but some where convenience or safety has to be put on the balance. We can always disect it further, but it has to stop at a point.

Salim
with my Chevy Silverado, with factory remote, the doors are locked until I open them , gauges are blank, only the seats on heating if it is cold out, the HVAC is either in heating or cooling mode , shifter is locked ,
so what can a child do ?
I have never tried putting my foot on the gas to see what happens
Old 08-02-17, 10:53 AM
harut2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Well that's more fool proofing than actual security. It should at least be disable-able. If your 5 year old gets in and drives the car into a pedestrian and kills him/her while destroying the car, it's not lexus's fault. With that logic the windows shouldn't be controllable since that same 5 year old might get his finger chopped off (not sure if the motor is strong enough, but it'll probably hurt).

So does anyone know how to increase the range of the remote start with aftermarket stuff? This 9 meter starter is just like a tease. "You have remote start! But you can't use it properly, because you live on the 3rd floor. Basically it's just a gimmick to show to your friends, and then have them laugh at you after hearing it only works at 9 meters". The winter gets really cold where I live and I'd like my car to be warm for my family. Just a pet peeve I guess.
Old 08-02-17, 01:09 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

The Nissan/ Chevy solution is simple. The car shuts off if your foot is not on the brake when you shift out of gear and/or the key fob is not in the car! So much better in the winter for short hops where you don't have to constantly restart the car. Never had a problem with this solution in my Maxima or Avalanche. So are they unsafe? Nope. Just 100% more convenient than my ES-350 or RX-350!
Old 08-02-17, 06:46 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

This is from a person who has no need of a remote starter ...

All it takes is sit in the vehicle and push the start button ... lot less work than putting on the seat belt
Added advantage ... you get to see the cluster give you all the needed info before you start and drive off

Salim
Old 08-08-17, 11:20 AM
jimroth
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a 2013 RX350 and was surprised to see that it had this feature. Nobody at the dealer mentioned it!
Old 08-08-17, 11:51 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Perhaps that's because all Lexus cars have that feature now, and have had for several years. However, you have to subscribe to the app for the remote start to work. I don't use it a lot, but I have found that when I want to use it, it is really nice to have and worth the cost.
Old 01-17-18, 02:32 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Remote starters function

So the RX we recently purchased came with a remote starter and it works great! The only thing i cant seem to figure out is, after its been remote started and i get into the RX, in order for me to drive off i have to press the brake and shift to D, but once i press the brake pedal it shuts off. I carry the factory Lexus key along with the remote starter fob on the same key chain so it would detect that the key is in the car as well. Any thoughts on overcoming this?
Old 01-17-18, 05:46 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Rx450h is set up shut down when I open any door... but my other car is set up to shut down when I press the brake pedal. The interface module has accessed the brake pedal wire and is programmed that way.

To over ride the remote system I must ...
1) insert the key fob into the ignition and turn “on” one click, “before” pressing the brake pedal.
2) press the brake
3) put in gear and drive away .

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Gampa; 01-17-18 at 06:16 PM.