RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Water leak source found...Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 02:36 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water leak source found...Help please

2008 RX350 moon roof drain hose , passenger side, I need help finding where the hose should exit the vehicle. I cant find any grommets with missing hose and I am at a loss.
Old 09-22-15, 04:17 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search in this forum. Not too long ago somebody posted a lengthy thread with photos as they tried to find the source of a water leak. As I recall, that included some questions about the sunroof hose.
Old 09-22-15, 04:19 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out these threads ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ght=water+leak

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ght=water+leak
Old 09-22-15, 05:14 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Default Lower Moon Roof drain hose exit found

Ok ladies and gents here is what I found. The drain hose was pulled out of the grommet in the kick panel. The hose is to short to go back into the hole, I am guessing that over time the hose has shrunk about an inch. Fortunately I have a donor 1999 RX300 that I am going to scavenge a length of drain hose from and splice them together.

Since the seats and carpet are coming out I will do the same to the drivers side. I will say that is impossible to see the grommet for the drain hose to pass through without drilling a hole so you can see what you are doing and you would need hands no bigger than those of an oompa loompa to reach inside to guide the hose into the hole.

Do not waste your time pulling the rocker panel cover down, it will not allow you to see anything related to the drain hose.

I will post pictures of the repair after I gather all the needed parts. I considered rerouting but adding a little extra hose to the existing hose should do the trick.
Old 09-23-15, 12:31 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Default Repair photos

Here are some photos of the front passenger side moon roof drain hose repair.

When I drilled the hole in the first photo I started with a 1/8" pilot hole and then used three different stepped drill bits. Make sure you have all of your wiring out of the way when you do this and be sure to clean up all the shavings and paint the bare metal when before attaching the connector junction.

When you get the pipe and hose reinserted in the grommet you might want to squirt a little glob of silicone sealer on grommet and pipe although gravity should do the job.

In the fourth picture this is where you would have to get your hand into to find and re-insert hose pipe into grommet, like I said unless you have oompa loompa size hands this is not going to happen. This opening is where the white junction box sits in.

Tools used

Snap on panel popper
pocket screwdriver
razor knife
Philips screwdriver
dewalt stepped drill bit set
large electric drill
pipe cutter
permatex clear silicone sealer
Attached Thumbnails Water leak source found...Help please-rx350-1.jpg   Water leak source found...Help please-rx350-2.jpg   Water leak source found...Help please-rx350-3.jpg   Water leak source found...Help please-rx350-4.jpg   Water leak source found...Help please-rx350-5.jpg  

Old 09-26-15, 12:02 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

wow thanks wish I knew this a few weeks ago.
I re-routed mine out of the kick panel and into the floor pan gromet
Can you take a wider shot of that location if you still have the carpet up?
Also can you describe what the gromet inside the kick panel looks like? is there a just a hole in a rubber gromet or is there something like a protrusion to insert the hose on?

Great write up
Old 09-26-15, 04:44 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Originally Posted by TriniLex
wow thanks wish I knew this a few weeks ago.
I re-routed mine out of the kick panel and into the floor pan gromet
Can you take a wider shot of that location if you still have the carpet up?
Also can you describe what the gromet inside the kick panel looks like? is there a just a hole in a rubber gromet or is there something like a protrusion to insert the hose on?

Great write up

I do not have any wider shots of that area, I do have a bunch of photos that I am going to post. If you pulled the white wiring harness junction loose, that is the area I drilled the hole. I did manage to get a cell phone with camera down into the small space in the kick panel which gives you the exact location of the grommet. I would not even attempt to use the factory hose , go to your local NAPA store and buy a couple pieces of the brake line that I used, it will last forever. One thing that I did not photograph was the 45 degree cut I made into the steel tube which is easy to cut with hacksaw, just make sure to clean up the rough edges on the pipe. I can give you the NAPA part number if you want it, it will cost you about $10. Here is a photo of the actual grommet. My next post will be a little horrifying for those who have had large water leaks and wet carpet. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails Water leak source found...Help please-dsc-zzzz.jpg  
Old 09-26-15, 10:15 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! I saw your other thread and glad your family are OK. If this had been a slightly milder case of flooding and wet carpet you might have not caught it but been in the hospital with respiratory issues. So don't take it the wrong way when I say be glad it was severe. Mold is nothing to mess with.
Old 09-27-15, 03:50 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

WOw great pic of the gromet.
Have you done the driver's side yet?
Old 09-27-15, 04:32 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Drivers side not attempted, dealer took back car and the wife got a new one, water leak no longer my problem
Old 09-29-15, 01:25 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfixer
Drivers side not attempted, dealer took back car and the wife got a new one, water leak no longer my problem
Great news! Congrats.