RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is it worth it to buy accessories from the dealer for a new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 02:39 PM
rob22909
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to buy accessories from the dealer for a new RX?

Hey Guys, I got another question for you about some accessories that I'm considering for my upcoming new RX; specifcally, if I should only look to my dealer for them...

One item I'm looking to pick up is chrome side step bars. I've previously seen them on a black RX (which is the color i'm getting) and they look great! The Lexus dealer said they can install them for $895 (seems a bit high, but I don't know much about these side step bars).

Also I'm considering the city paint protection package (basically, I believe it's the 3M coating) b/c I live in down town chicago, where scrapes and scratches on the back left corners of bumpers and both doors is almost inevitable. They stated a cost for that at about a grand (again seems high, but I know nothing about it).

And lastly, I'm considering getting the ipod integration kit. They've said that would cost $795 (which seems insanely high).

This all being said... Is it worth it to get the above directly from the dealer? Is there a cheaper yet safer alternative? For example, could I buy the above from a 3rd party and have the dealer do the install b/c I would trust them more vs some random installer?

Lastly, is there any other must have items that I should consider based on your experiences with the RX's?

Thanks in advance!

-Rob
Old 01-17-07, 02:49 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Forget the city paint protection package. Get the Vastech SLI and install it yourself https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227901
Old 01-17-07, 05:21 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think twice about the side steps. This isn't just a "looks" issue. For a vehicle this short they will probably get in the way every time you get in and you might wind up bumping you leg half the time. You and whoever else may be getting in should actually try getting in and out of an RX with these installed, including anybody who might have to wear a skirt or heels to do so. You will either love it or change your mind, but best to know up front.
Old 01-17-07, 05:21 PM
crowart
Driver School Candidate

You can certainly find a cheaper and perhaps better nav system than the standard one, but you may lose the back-up camera feature that way.

I believe the rear entertainment screen is 9 inches diagonally. That may be the biggest size currently available, from what I've seen. (A sad confession: I like to park and watch movies on dates. Better than a real theater, in my opinion.)

I don't actually own an RX yet. It's in the top three I'm considering, along with the Nissan Murano... or a new Camaro.
Old 01-17-07, 06:36 PM
vj3
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

About the side step bar I had one on my 2006 I put it, not for the look but
for the use of it. I've got two kids and it helps them a lot in getting in & out.
I get mine from runningboardwarehouse and much cheaper than the dealer is asking.
Old 01-17-07, 10:54 PM
rob22909
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Forget the city paint protection package. Get the Vastech SLI and install it yourself https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227901
I hear ya on the Vastech ipod integration kit. Looks definitely doable... although very scary thought to start taking apart my new car

on your first comment, you said forget the city paint protection package. Do you know of some other alternatives (and keeping my car in my garage 24/7 is not an option ). Also any opinion on the quality of the Lexus paint protection package? Is the 3M coat noticable?
Old 01-18-07, 11:15 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Those one-time treatments (be it paint protection, rustproofing, etc.) are rarely a good idea. The proper way to do it is to protect the paint on a regular basis (with polymer sealant, etc., that you apply yourself or take to a professional detailer if you don't have time). Visit the automotive care & detailing forum here on club lexus.
Old 01-18-07, 12:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That 3M clear film (Xpel, Stongard, and others) is a great help with gravel chips and protection from assorted road debris - but don't look for it to help you with scrapes from those who insist on parking "by ear". If I were buying another RX, I'd definitely have at least the front end covered in it.

I installed a piece on the rear bumper of my RX 300 (a '00 model, before the arrival of the black "doormat") to protect it when loading and unloading cargo. It did a great job and actually seemed to disappear after a few months. After three years of great service, it had developed a small scrape or two, but nothing really bad.

I had those running boards (steps) on a couple of Suburbans - necessary for short passengers, especially on the 3/4-ton examples where entry was made considerably more graceful by their presence. Tall or long-legged folks really don't need them - as SilverLady said - they are pretty much a nuisance until you learn the art of stepping over them. In wet or muddy weather they collect dirt and transfer it to your left pant leg every time you enter and exit the vehicle - unless you learn to plant that left foot a few inches further from the door sill than you are used to. Unless you are a Munchkin, the RX is so close to the ground that actually stepping ON the step will earn you several knots on the head.

Installation of aftermarket accessories is your choice. If you are really squeamish about carving up your new baby, have your dealer do the install rather than some local complexion-challenged kids. My service manager told me several years ago about a new LS that came in after a local cell phone installer worked his magic . . . and bored a hole through the firewall into the ECM wiring. When the sparks stopped flying, the LS had to be towed back to the dealership and about $10K worth of black boxes replaced.

As far as "accessories" go, see what you will really use. Most of them might be wrung out of your dealer at the last moment, but you should at least shop around. Floormats, mud flaps, cargo nets, and "smokers kits" are available, as well as a few aftermarket items like grilles and a few body kits. Check out our vendors for their online stores - not only do these online shops usually beat the price of the brick-and-mortar stores (they're actually Lexus dealers with an internet presence), but they offer a discount to CL members.

Maintenance items like wash products, polishes, waxes, leather cleaners and dressings are available too, but as 32k said, check out our Automotive Care and Detailing Forum to get the latest information and experience from our members.

For generic items like coffee mugs and hats, pens, ashtrays, keychains, etc. check out eBay - with the knowledge that some or most of these items are not the genuine Lexus-branded article (a little investigation goes a long way).

Enjoy!