RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Number of FOBs with a 2015 RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 04:36 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Number of FOBs with a 2015 RX

Hey guys I am in the process of buying a 2015 RX and it only has one FOB available. Is this normal? By the way I am a long time member here. I own an 06 SC430 and have owned an ES and a 2000 RX. The new RX is coming from a Mercedes dealer. If was supposed to have two FOBs, how much do they cost?
Old 05-06-17, 05:20 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should have two fobs. We had to get a second when we bought our IS250 awhile back. It was a few hundred for the fob, then the programming. If you can, see if you can negotiate that into the selling price. The work has to be done at the Lexus dealer. The MB dealer won't have the scan tool to do the programming.
Old 05-06-17, 05:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

iolmaster,

2 FOBs are not required or standard. It is AS IS when buying retail. They normally swipe the other FOB and convert into cash.

If it is, of course about the money.

It will cost around $200 if you know somebody from the dealer, programmed.

Good luck with your quest for an RX350.
Old 05-06-17, 10:44 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

above fits a narrative on stealerships but is not true and does not make business sense.

it hurts the cars price more than any possible value of the fob to not have the 2nd original key. then the buyer can use it as leverage to say wht happened to it, i feel unsafe the person with the key might find me and steal the car. the fobs contain a cut key as well so are not valuable for resale.
keys are tracked, for a seller selling the car back or returning a lease they will be dinged to not having 2nd key. maybe there is a rogue employee but it is not helping the dealership to steal keys and if it is happening a lot they will want to find out

i believe for lcertified they must give you two keys. you can definitely use not having full key set as negotiation possibly more than the replacement key cost if you express you have security concerns.
call your local lexus ask them what key replacement cost is including programming,let them know you have 1 key. bring that to your negotiations.

To your point, what auction guys do steal and sell on ebay are things thst are not missed like owners manuals, first aid kits, possibly stuff lile cargo nets/cargo covers, cd changer caddys, or if desperate even some rando stuff like the emergency tools like the car jack. but not keys.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-06-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-06-17, 12:56 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

We needed a second smart key for my daughter's 2009 Mazda6 last year. The fob and blank key were about $200 from Mazda, but eBay had one for about $70, as I recall. I took that to the local Mazda dealer and he cut the key and programmed the fob for $50.

I don't know how much Lexus/Toyota would charge.
Old 05-08-17, 12:05 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You may be at risk for thousands of dollars if you lose the only fob. I know a dealer that had a Lexus stolen with both fobs. The car was found at the airport. The computer/controller had to be replaced in order to program a fob to start the car.
Old 05-08-17, 03:29 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marqevans
You may be at risk for thousands of dollars if you lose the only fob. I know a dealer that had a Lexus stolen with both fobs. The car was found at the airport. The computer/controller had to be replaced in order to program a fob to start the car.
Very true, do not lose your last master key. If you are down to 1 key, you better get another key made and programmed/paired, just as insurance to avoid having no master keys.

If you find yourself with no keys, before you take the officialstep, you may want to search around locksmiths who specialize in auto and Toyota/Lexus and make a few calls . There are Locksmiths where they will "hack" and reprogram the ECU/ECM to reset it to a new set of keys instead of the official replace the whole computer. This will still be pricey, and you might need to mail off the units and locks to the few smiths that can do it, but can be significantly less than the replace cost.

This service may not be available yet for most recent models as security keeps changing, but definitely available as an option for earlier Lexus ECMs.
Old 05-11-17, 09:11 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Where can we get a keyless FOB at a reasonable cost?
Old 05-11-17, 11:05 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Where can we get a keyless FOB at a reasonable cost?
This is highly dependent because we are not all in the same place and there of in-person service required, and what kind of relationship you have with your local dealer.
  • Local Lexus Dealer
  • Local Locksmith
  • Internet Lexus Dealer (including from search engines or other storefronts)+(Local Dealer or Locksmith)
  • Internet "locksmith" + (Local dealer or locksmith)
I would wary of other sources, esp. ebay type sources, because you might end up with a result that doesn't work and then you end up having to buy twice. If the savings are big enough for you to risk it, that's a personal decision