RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 06:58 PM
JumpBacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations

I am going to install a DVD player and was looking for mounting locations. I will be installing a player along with headrest monitors and the system will most likely be Vizualogic. I have no intention of mounting anything to the headliner. So, that mounting location is out. I inquired at the dealership parts counter on who much to add factory DVD (headliner area) and they said about $4000. Don't know why it was so much but I do know I wasn't pay that much there.

My first choice is under the seat but there are vents under there. I saw an RX330 at the dealership long ago that had the player inserted into the center console, accessible from the rear seat. The console would have had to have been cut to get in there, which is not really an issue for me. I did not look closely at the one at the dealership to see exactly how they did it.

Any other mounting locations? Trunk? Glove box? Suggestions? Experiences?

Last edited by JumpBacon; 02-22-04 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 08:57 PM
JumpBacon
Driver School Candidate

I was not planning on tapping the vehicle audio, meaning I was not expecting the audio to come through the factory speakers. I am setting up the system to be used with wireless headphones only.

I could be totally off base but I am under the believe a modulator, or tapping the factory audio components, is only necessary when you want audio to come through the speakers. I recently added XM radio to my sedan (Maxima) and had to use an FM modulator.

I was looking to do this myself but am more than willing to hand this over to a pro for installation if need be. I did intall the XM radio in my sedan, which required taking the stereo out and most of the dash, and I can say the process was not pretty but works just fine. I also had factory wiring diagrams to assist which I do not have for the Lexus. I would not want to do this same procedure of ripping apart the dash on my Lexus and would feel better if I took it to the dealer or a trained professional.
Old 02-22-04, 11:32 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOLD UP WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

before you do this get the best instaler you can get,because i had my tv's and dvd player and you cant put anything under the right seat because of air bag sensors, that will turn off your air bag lights on the 2004 rx330. If i where you i will put everything in the back and it will save you time and money TRUST ME DOGG.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-9478steve_new_lexus_003-med.jpg  

Last edited by MRLEXUS; 02-22-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 11:35 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Default better shot

headrest work (PLEASE GET A INSTALLER OR YOUR AIRBAG WILL NOT WORK)
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-9478daytime_lex_010-med.jpg  
Old 02-22-04, 11:36 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

8 INCH KENWOOD COLOR TV/NAV
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-lextv.jpg  
Old 02-23-04, 06:29 AM
JumpBacon
Driver School Candidate

Good information. I thought about just mounting everything in the "trunk" but did not know if the remote, which would come with the player, would work from the front or back seat.

I did not think about the air bags in the seats. Glad you mentioned it. I did look under the seats, while vacuuming and saw there were floor vents under there, which did not leave much room anyway.

MRLEXUS, are you saying you mounted stuff in the trunk? If so, got a pic?
Old 02-23-04, 04:51 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i had everything mounted under the back seat. i found a best buy (of all places) that had experience with the install. i interviewed the installer and insisted that only he come close to my car. i asked him about his car and his mods. he had many that he showed me and i asked him to install the dvd in my car as if it was his own. i told him i would pay more if he took his time - he didn't charge me more. there was absolutely no evidence of the installation work eventhough he pulled the front panels and the door sill panels plus took out the rear seat. i do have a modulator and also a 110 volt outlet and extra RCA jacks for playstation. i installed a master power switch in the front panel. the dvd player is under the back seat with the remote sensor above the front mirror (practically invisible).
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-car-dvd-1.jpg  
Old 02-23-04, 04:53 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

another view...
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-car-dvd-2.jpg  
Old 02-23-04, 04:54 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

dvd player under the rear seat.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-car-dvd-3.jpg  
Old 02-24-04, 07:49 AM
JumpBacon
Driver School Candidate

Perfect! Thanks!
Old 02-24-04, 10:55 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

looks nice but are you worried about jackers hitting you up for the front monitor? is it removable? could you snap a little closer shot of that for me? i was considering doing a monitor like that as well but sometimes i ride thru the hood and i'm not trying to get stuck for my stuff...

Originally posted by MRLEXUS
8 INCH KENWOOD COLOR TV/NAV
Old 02-24-04, 06:55 PM
JumpBacon
Driver School Candidate

If those are the Vizualogic monitors they make covers for them to hide the monitor (looks like just a headrest).

Is that vizualogic unit under the seat or some other brand? Have you looked at this product: http://www.vizualogic.com/accessorie.../dvd_glove.jpg in an attempt to protect the player? Just wondering. I have a car seat there in the middle and I can see it getting kicked once or twice.
Old 02-24-04, 08:27 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

it's a vizualogic/epik brand under the seat although it is a horrible unit. i had three in three months and finally epik sent me a new model. they said they had a high return rate so they changed suppliers. the new one seems to work well and the best part is that it remembers where the dvd stopped when you shut off the engine and then resumes to the same place when you start it again. the old one didn't do that and my kids had to fast forward or select the scene where it left off.

be careful with the under-the-seat mount. you can crush the player if you tilt the folding seat forward. the location is not optimum for that but it's easy for the kids and the driver to access to change discs. mine is sitting on the seat frame (covered with soft material) and velcro'd to the bottom of the seat cushion. this makes it easy to remove if i have to fold down the seat. make sure you have enough slack in the wire to let it sit on the floor. the trick is to remember doing it before folding the seat. i tried a lot of other places but none offered the clean look and easy disc access of the under-the-seat location. maybe someone in this forum has a better idea.

i saw the 'glove' but didn't go for it because the fit under the seat is already so tight.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Aftermarket DVD Player Install Locations-car-dvd-4.jpg