RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power Window - Passenger - '01 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 07:06 PM
nedrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window - Passenger - '01 RX300

I've read through several posts on here about power window problems with the RX300. I'm having issues with the passenger side power window operating incorrectly from time to time. When I press the button for the window to go down a little bit, it goes down fine, but then when I pull the switch to raise the window it goes down a couple inches, then when I pull up again on the switch again it'll go down another couple inches, and this continues to happen until the window is all the way down. At that point, MOST of the time I'm able to raise the window at that point, but not always. This happens from the passenger door window switch as well as from the master switch on the driver door.

I've read through other threads on this forum about similar problems and have done the suggested repairs, but nothing has worked so far. I replaced the window switch on the passenger door... didn't fix the problem. I replaced the master switch on the driver door... didn't fix the problem. The switches that I purchased were not new, so one of my fears at this point is that those switches had the same issues that my current switches have. The passenger side motor does sound like it might be getting a little bogged down, so I'm wondering if that is connected, but I don't remember that being the case when this problem first presented itself.

Beyond replacing the switches, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this problem?
Old 05-27-13, 07:57 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess check the window glass motor.
Old 05-28-13, 08:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

I'm also thinking here that you might want to lube the edges of the glass run (rubber groove area where the window sits) with some lithium grease, because beyond that it usually gets down to the motor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6428003-post4.html
Old 11-03-13, 07:28 PM
altrajeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window not going up issue

I have a 2001 RX300 that started having problems with the drivers side window going up. As time went on it eventually stopped going up all together. Then my front passenger window started to do the same thing. I have read over many of the post on this forum and not found any cheap solution. I am formally a car alarm/stereo installer. I spent this weekend figuring out the problem and a solution. Most of the threads are directing people to a defective switch or window motor. In my case this was incorrect. I did not notice any noises coming from the motors prior to them not functioning. I took the switches apart and cleaned them and found them functioning correctly.

I removed the drivers door panel and peeled back the plastic on the top right where the wire harness is coming into the door. I then located the wires that control the up and down function of the window motor. There is a 5 wire plug that is located on the top right of the door, it is next to a blue wire plug. I used a panel popper to get the plug out of the metal part of the door. In this plug, there are two thicker wires, a red wire with blue stripes and a green wire with red stripes. These are the up and down control wires.

The window motor works on a reverse polarity system. What I mean by that is when the down switch is activated the green wire has positive going through it and the red wire has ground going through it. Motor rolls window down. The up switch causes a positive to go through the red wire and ground to go through the green wire and the motor rolls the window up.

I was able to determine that I was getting a ground feedback through the window motor that was deactivating the ability of the up switch to work. It is caused by the window child protection system that will cause the window motor to stop going up if it feels resistance. So the drivers side widow motor is stuck in the safety stop mode. It thinks that something is stuck in the window and wont function correctly.

So there it is problem determined. So how to fix it...

I was able to fix it but with one big issue. The child safety function no longer works. If I activate the auto up function it goes all the way up. The fix I did was $5.00. I used a $3.50, 5 pronged relay and a $1.50 wired relay plug. If anyone wants the info for this bypass I can help, but you will loose the child safety feature. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Old 11-03-13, 11:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Post it up, we are all big boys on here.
Old 11-04-13, 05:00 PM
altrajeff
Driver School Candidate

Default DIY Power window up issues

I have a 2001 RX300 that started having problems with the drivers side window going up. As time went on it eventually stopped going up all together. Then my front passenger window started to do the same thing. I have read over many of the post on this forum and not found any cheap solution. I am formally a car alarm/stereo installer. I spent this weekend figuring out the problem and a solution. Most of the threads are directing people to a defective switch or window motor. In my case this was incorrect. I did not notice any noises coming from the motors prior to them not functioning. I took the switches apart and cleaned them and found them functioning correctly.

I removed the drivers door panel and peeled back the plastic on the top right where the wire harness is coming into the door. I then located the wires that control the up and down function of the window motor. There is a 5 wire plug that is located on the top right of the door, it is next to a blue wire plug. I used a panel popper to get the plug out of the metal part of the door. In this plug, there are two thicker wires, a red wire with blue stripes and a green wire with red stripes. These are the up and down control wires.

The window motor works on a reverse polarity system. What I mean by that is when the down switch is activated the green wire has positive going through it and the red wire has ground going through it. Motor rolls window down. The up switch causes a positive to go through the red wire and ground to go through the green wire and the motor rolls the window up.

I was able to determine that I was getting a ground feedback through the window motor that was deactivating the ability of the up switch to work. It is caused by the window child protection system that will cause the window motor to stop going up if it feels resistance. So the drivers side widow motor is stuck in the safety stop mode. It thinks that something is stuck in the window and wont function correctly.

So there it is problem determined. So how to fix it...

I was able to fix it but with one big issue. The child safety function no longer works. If I activate the auto up function it goes all the way up. The fix I did was $5.00. I used a $3.50, 5 pronged relay and a $1.50 wired relay plug. If anyone wants the info for this bypass I can help, but you will loose the child safety feature. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Here is the repair:
First determine if its a ground feed back.
Locate the plug that goes from drivers window switch to drivers window motor.
window motor plug.pdf

Unplug the motor side from the switch side. It is the harness going into the door. There is a small push tab that releases the plug. You must then very carefully remove the Red with a blue dot wire from din plug on the motor side of the plug. The way it is removed is take two very small flat head screw drivers the first screw driver is used to open the lock on the side of the din plug. The lock has two small squares on it. (see image) The lock is only going to come out a little bit and I just inserted the flat head screw driver through the lock to hold it open. Sorry I don't have pics didn't think to take pic until I was done. Once you have the lock open then you are going to take the second screw driver and use it to release the wire from the din plug. I gently inserted the screw driver down the wire and gently released the really small white tab holding the wire in place. You do not want to break this plug or you are in trouble if this is not the same problem I had. The other option would be to just cut the wire. If you do cut the wire make sure you leave enough room to reconnect the wire if this is not the same problem I had. Plug the two parts of the white plug back together, leaving the red with blue dot out.
So now that the red with a blue dot is disconnected you need to see if your motor is ok. Just run a wire with a 15 amp fuse from a power source in the car. Fortunately there is one located on the main window switch wire harness.
Power off main switch plug.pdf

So turn the ignition on and hold the up switch button for the drivers window and touch the fused wire to the red with a blue stripe wire. The window should go up like normal. If the fuse blows then there is another problem (Motor). If the widow functions correctly then you can progress to the next section.

I used a 12 volt 30 amp relay. When I installed car alarms we called this a starter kill relay. You can pick it up from any car alarm company for a couple of bucks.

12 VDC Tyco 5-Pin Relay SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch)
Brand: Tyco Electronics | Model: V23234-A1001-X036

Here is the diagram:
relay diagram.pdf

pole 85 is going to go to the Red wire with a white dot on the switch side of the plug.
pole 86 and 87A are going to go to ground (factory ground wire is Black with silver dot on motor side of din plug.
Pole 87 is going to go to 12 volt power. You can use the fused wire that we did the motor test with and connect it to the Blue with a black stripe wire on the main switch plug.
pole 30 is going to go to the wire that we removed from the din plug. The Red with a blue dot on the motor side of the plug.
window switch side.pdf
Power off main switch plug.pdf
Power Window - Passenger - '01 RX300-window-1.jpg
window motor plug.pdf

Once I hooked this up, all the problems went away and my windows go up and down at my command. The only feature that was lost is the stop feature when the automatic up feature is activated if something is caught in the window. So better watch those fingers and such because the window will not stop until it is completely closed or you hit the down switch.

Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know. This is my first DIY post. I had typed up another post and when I attempted to insert pictures it got deleted. So sorry if this is not as descriptive but been at this for more than a couple hours. Took me less time to fix the window problem and install two new door speakers.

Last edited by altrajeff; 11-06-13 at 04:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ImOutRu (03-26-20)
Old 11-04-13, 05:07 PM
altrajeff
Driver School Candidate

Default one more picture

Here is another picture I forgot to insert.

ground and motor side up wire.pdf

The Blue wire you see spliced into the red with blue dot is the wire that is from pole 30 on the relay.

Last edited by altrajeff; 11-04-13 at 05:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-04-13, 06:05 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks, hopefully the mods don't pull it if I need it in the future.
Old 11-09-13, 05:49 AM
altrajeff
Driver School Candidate

Update

So my passenger window is starting to give me problems again. First thing I am going to try is to lubricate the window tracks and motor gears. If problem continues the I will have to do another relay. I really have a feeling it's a resistor in the circuit board on the motor. I don't have a volt meter to test it. Will keep you posted on progress. Argh!
Old 01-06-14, 01:55 PM
mizak82
Rookie

I've been having the same problem intermittently.. if I roll down the passenger window half way its fine.. when I try and roll it up it goes all the way down first then up.. by roll i mean pressing the switch on the drivers side.. Only sometimes it does it.. Just waiting for a full failure to address it..
Old 12-20-15, 08:51 AM
FixLexus
Driver School Candidate

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_TzREtzRuU