RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trailer/Towing Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 02:58 PM
robosch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer/Towing Wiring Issue

I know this question has come up on a number of occasions, but I seem to have a setup unique to anything I have researched so far. I bought my 2000 Lexus RX300 used about 4 years ago and now need to fit a trailer. The invoice indicates that the vehicle came with a "Towing Preparation Pkg w/ Transmission Oil Cooler". I stripped off the driver side trim at the rear of the vehicle and found two connectors, one orange and one white. See the attached photo. There is also an electric wire going through a grommet to a black box under the vehicle. This wire is not connected to either of the connectors shown in the photo. I also checked the black box carefully and there is definitely no connector in there that I can hook a trailer harness on to. Can anyone tell me what wiring I need for a trailer? I would prefer not to splice into the existing wiring unless I have to. I think (but am not sure) that I need to hook into the white connector, but am not sure what harness I need, and I also have no idea what the orange connector is for. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Here's a link to the photo. http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/

Last edited by robosch; 07-03-11 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Image is not showing
Old 07-09-11, 02:06 PM
robosch
Driver School Candidate

Bought the Lexus harness through a local tow hitch company as Lexus wouldn't sell it to me direct; they only sell it with the towbar. Cost was $200, but I wanted Lexus wiring to plug in, as opposed to the after market harnesses, which all seem to connect/splice into other wires. Anyway, neither of the connectors shown in my photo are used for the tow harness wiring. There are a number of connectors, the first of which is above the two shown in the photo. The instructions are quite clear and the installation is working fine.
Old 07-10-11, 10:13 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by robosch
Bought the Lexus harness through a local tow hitch company as Lexus wouldn't sell it to me direct; they only sell it with the towbar. Cost was $200, but I wanted Lexus wiring to plug in, as opposed to the after market harnesses, which all seem to connect/splice into other wires. Anyway, neither of the connectors shown in my photo are used for the tow harness wiring. There are a number of connectors, the first of which is above the two shown in the photo. The instructions are quite clear and the installation is working fine.
Can you send a picture of your wire harness?
Old 07-11-11, 09:38 AM
robosch
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I didn't take a photo of the harness, but here's the installation manual, which includes an illustration of the harness, sub-harness, converter and other bits and pieces that came with it. I was hoping that my car would already be wired for the hitch as it came with the towing prep package, but it wasn't. Based on other postings I have read, I believe later Lexus models may include much of this wiring with their towing prep packages. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiring Installation.pdf (297.8 KB, 382 views)
Old 07-12-11, 02:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Surprised you had problems at the dealership - I got mine from LexusParts website ($170, but a couple of years back).