RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Key will not turn on car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 12:58 PM
syg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key will not turn on car

I have a 1999 Rx 300, parked the car and when I got back in to start it key would not turn. Tryed spare key, did not work. Put new battery in remote, did not work. All doors work with remote. Put key in ignition with door open and it starts beeping to let me know door is open. Any suggestions?

Put WD 40 in ignition fix problem. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by syg; 01-17-11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 01:04 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please clarify. When you said key would not turn, did you mean it physically would not turn in the lock cylinder? If so, why would you have considered the key battery?
Old 01-16-11, 01:28 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If the key won't turn in the ignition cylinder, it sometimes means the cylinder is going bad. I've seen this problem in two of our Lexuses on occasion. The dealer says the weight of keys dangling from the ignition puts too much stress on the cylinder. Try this: As you gently try to turn the key, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to see if the steering lock is causing a problem. If no luck, take out the key, turn the blade 180 degrees, and try it again. Do these things over and over until it works again. Also, put some graphite lock lube on the key as you repeatedly try it in. My vehicles quit doing this after causing occasional problems for a while. I'm glad I didn't have to replace the cylinders! Good luck!
Old 01-16-11, 01:34 PM
syg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please clarify. When you said key would not turn, did you mean it physically would not turn in the lock cylinder? If so, why would you have considered the key battery?

Will not physically turn. New battery in remote because code in remote allows key to turn.
Old 01-16-11, 04:30 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by syg
Will not physically turn. New battery in remote because code in remote allows key to turn.
Wrong information about the battery in the key.

Battery in the key is for remote operation of locks and windows.

If you can not turn the key in the ignition cylinder ... check if you can operate the door lock with the key .. that will eliminate problems with the key blade.

The ignition cylinder for RX have known to have gone bad. Under normal conditions it can get stuck
a) Steering wheel lock. This happens when some one turns the wheel with the key out of ignition (children love to pretend drive). See if the wheel has been turned from straight on. Put the key and gently rock the steering wheel while you try to move the key.

b)Park gear interlock. Make sure the gear shifter is pushed firmly all the way to the front. Try wiggling the gear shifter and if needed use the override .. consult owners manual.

c) There can be an actual problem with the ignition cylinder.

Salim
Old 01-17-11, 02:48 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you in park or Neutral? I suggest that the problem is that it has been moved when not in gear. I think it was caused by the car rolling when key out of ignition brake engaged then moving the shifter. Try rocking the car back and forth with the brake off in park. The other idea is is the steering lock engaged as above.

I am thinking that this problem usually happens when you cannot remove the key.
When this occurs it is not the barrel but the fact the cars safety feature so you do not leave car in gear when engine off to be stripped of gears.

Things you should be able to do or can't do.
Cannot take the key out of the Ignition when the car is not in park.

I am thinking somehow you did or fooled ignition. It isn't broken just thinks that it shouldn't allow you to remove the key so one will not go in either.

You need to also have your foot on the brake to do anything.

Perhaps you have been in such a panic that you have over looked that you cannot shift gear between park and neutral without your foot on the brake. This might solve the problem or you have calmed down by now and just worked it out.

If for some reason you haven't solved it by now I would be thinking that your key has worn out and now with even a wiggle isnt turning the barrel try cutting a new key if suspect it will be the deepest notch that will need the extra grab. I would think it could be spread to keep working but if your spare doesn't start the car is it the service key?
Not every key that came new with the car opened every lock. One was called a service key and it didn't open the glove box or start the car but opened the doors.

Please post what you have tried or if you have succeeded post your solution.
Old 01-17-11, 07:52 AM
syg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trhs75
If the key won't turn in the ignition cylinder, it sometimes means the cylinder is going bad. I've seen this problem in two of our Lexuses on occasion. The dealer says the weight of keys dangling from the ignition puts too much stress on the cylinder. Try this: As you gently try to turn the key, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to see if the steering lock is causing a problem. If no luck, take out the key, turn the blade 180 degrees, and try it again. Do these things over and over until it works again. Also, put some graphite lock lube on the key as you repeatedly try it in. My vehicles quit doing this after causing occasional problems for a while. I'm glad I didn't have to replace the cylinders! Good luck!

Thanks. WD40 did the job.
Old 01-17-11, 11:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by syg
Glad it worked out for you.

BUT

Have it looked at. It is lot cheaper when you can drive the vehicle to the locksmith.

And watch out for the oil on the key staining your clothes/wife's_hand_bag

Salim
Old 01-17-11, 10:55 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by syg
Ok now get some graphite powder into he lock as WD40 will dry out and you will be back to same problem

Glad you solved your problem without spending bucks.