RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I think my tranny is leaking.. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 10:39 PM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think my tranny is leaking.. Need Help!

_ _

Last edited by tightlinez; 04-10-08 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-10-08, 01:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

How much is this leaking?

This happened to me, and what it was turned out to be in part a cracked tranny pump that caused a seal to fail. All of this came due to an accident, you can follow the adventure here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=320390

And I guarantee you that for me and my uncle and his friend who was a genius with transmissions, we just shelled out the cost of parts and some money for his buddy, the majority of went toward strengthening the tranny rather than repairing it, but for you the labor will be quite a bit for this.

You see, tranny fluid shouldn't even leak in this area unless there is a leak in the tranmission pump seal or a hole in the torque converter.
Old 02-10-08, 01:35 AM
tightlinez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... this is a real bummer..

No accidents.. but I did just come back from a 1000 +/- mile trip.

The leak appears to be very slow. Probably a few drops in a 24hr. period.

How much am I looking at paying if it's what you say?

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-08, 08:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

First of all, I would verify that the oil is coming of the left side where the blue arrow is and NOT dripping over from the right side where the yellow areas are, because that would be a different kind of leak, but the yellow one would be less expensive to fix because it is likely a deal with the tranny pan assembly at the top having an issue, but from what I see I think it is leaking (I will show you in the next picture) where the seal to the tranny pump is.

As far as cost, if it is what I think it is, alone to get take the the tranny off and on could depend on anywhere between $500 to $800+ to take off and put on the tranny. Apart from that is the labor to open up the tranny and take out the pump (possibly replace it, and that can cost anywhere between $400 to $800 depending on where you buy and who you know), but the seals are like $8 USD or so. But then the added labor to fix the tranny itself in terms of assembly is another issue, and the answer is it depends, but I would expect the internal labor might cost around $300 USD or so. I spent a bit over $1000 USD on mine, but it was worthy ever cent (or peso down here) because it is much smoother and packs a bit more punch.
Attached Thumbnails I think my tranny is leaking.. Need Help!-2.jpg  
Old 02-10-08, 08:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That is the seal for the tranny pump where the blue arrows on. On this small protruding part is where the torque converter goes. The pump is that large round thing you see right in the middle. This is my tranny before we fixed it, but you can see the trail of dried-up fluid leaking downward.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this, because I know this can wind up being a major PITA to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails I think my tranny is leaking.. Need Help!-img_3564.jpg  
Old 02-10-08, 08:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Again, you need to verify the leaking is coming only from the side with the blue arrows, and not drifting over from the side with the yellow arrows.
Attached Thumbnails I think my tranny is leaking.. Need Help!-img_3552.jpg  
Old 02-10-08, 12:20 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure u arent low on tranny fluid and that it is not leaking A LOT...

As you continue to drive like this..the more hte leak will increase...

SO AVOID DRIVING unless it is to get it repaired!!!

I had this same leak on my tranny...and as Lexmex said....I ended up having to replace the seal...AND THE PUMP!!

If you don't have a hookup...this job is easily gonna cost you about 1k. if not more. It's a big job since they gotta pull out the tranny..

I reccomend if you are getting this done...just have your tranny rebuilt...
Because I got my leak fixed but I feel like my tranny still has issues..I think it is worth it to rebuild and make sure everything is in working order.
Old 02-11-08, 04:06 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

If it is a slow leak, you can live with it .. just keep checking Engine oil level and keep it topped up.

You can play with different oil weights and additives.

Salim
Old 02-11-08, 06:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Let me tell you, I got an oil leak on the rear crankshaft, I am just watching it bit by bit at the moment to see what is up. My uncle and I plan to deal with it probably at my next oil change since right now I have a pretty heavy weight oil in a Redline 10W40 I am trying out (not too bad, but probably better off with the Castrol 0W30).

As said above by Salimshah, you can live with that, unlike a tranny leak.

First thing you can try is moving up to a W40 oil or the Castrol 0W30, which is a heavy 30.

Second thing is a bottle of Restore oil additive (auto parts places have this).

Third, and highly recommended by me, is www.auto-rx.com (you have to order it).