ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Tranny leaking bad!! 93 ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 02:24 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny leaking bad!! 93 ES

OK here is the story....My wife was driving it home and was close to home and the car started smoking really bad. Tranny fluid and oil gets checked by me weekly. All was fine earlier this week. She parks it and I come home right after. Then I try drving it up on my ramps and the tranny wont even go. And when I hit the gas it smokes and the tranny slips. So I pulled out my jack stands and jacked it up. Its leaking pretty bad. I checked the level and put about 1/2-3/4 quart of tranny fluid in. Then I started it again and it was worse. Coming from the back side of the tranny up high a little I think and dripping down the tranny and onto the exhaust....hints the smoke. No idea what it is. I cant figure out why its leaking or where from because I cant really be under there while its on and leaking all over my face. Any one have an idea???? NEED HELP ASAP!!!! This car needs to run again! I have a funny feeling I will need to replace the tranny. The car has 243k on it and its the original motor and tranny. I drained and filled the tranny a bunch of times only like 2-3 months ago so it has brand new fluid. And still its red but a little darker. Any ideas? Or should I just tow it to work and buy a new tranny? I work at Toyota of Greensburg and I know it can be down there. Just dont have the cash right now to do so. But I guess I can figure that out later. ANy help please!!!!!! Need to figure this out!! Thanks guys
Old 11-05-10, 03:15 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's probably a transmission cooling line that somehow broke or came undone. There's lines that run from the Transmission to the bottom part of the radiator in order to cool it.

A transmission doesn't really just "explode" and start leaking fluid when it goes bad, it's almost definitely a line, which should be an easy fix.

The question though is, how long did it run without fluid, and how low did the level get? That's where there could be damage. I would have it towed to a reputable shop you trust and have them look at it if you can't find exactly where the leak is coming from.

Definitely DON'T drive it until the problem is resolved, have it towed. And if it's something you're unsure about, don't try and fix it yourself. It's not worth frying your transmission when a shop could repair a simple cooling line for $100.
Old 11-05-10, 03:59 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

It was only driven a mile or two when it started smoking...when it started to leak. I am assuming the tranny cooling line as well. I thought about it and thats the only thing that is logical. Like you said it wont explode or anything. It was not even a whole qaurt of fluid low. But it was slipping alot. I tried driving it up my ramps and it barely moved. And my drive way is a nice big hill and the wife said it barely made it up. So hopefully not too much damage done. But I will of course not drive it till its fixed. Its on jackstands right now and wont move till its not leaking no more. And I wont bother getting it towed any where. I do as much work as I can my self on my cars. Between my father and I we get stuff done. haha. Thanks for the info man.
Old 11-07-10, 01:54 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

I can see where the line popped off or fell off the tranny. There is a little metal hose/nipple thing that sticks out and I think thats where the line must have been. Its pointed down wards. But I cannot find the line that would run from the tranny to the radiator. There is so much going on and so many other lines its hard to find what one is missing or not connected. Any one have a diagram or anyhting that can help me out?
Old 11-07-10, 03:03 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

[IMG=http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1597/lexuspictrannyline.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a picture of where I think its leaking from. Where I hope it is anyways. Its the only place I can see where it could be coming from. But my question is where is the line that goes to the rad at? I cant find anything that doesnt lead to something. No missing hoses or anything. Any help would be great!!! PLEASE
Old 11-07-10, 03:06 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

By db8kyle25 at 2010-11-07
Old 11-07-10, 03:13 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

Theres a good pic. My only thought now is if that is there for some sort of way for Lexus to suck the tranny fluid out with a machine and there should be a plug on the end and thats what is missing. It may have fallen off after a good bump. But then again I could be wrong. Any one changing their oil soon? Can you take a look at yours for me and get back to me? I need to figure this out. My wife has to use this car to to dialysis and back three days a week. We are young, 22, and havent had the best luck past few years. But I have been lucky for the most part about our cars. Hopefully any one of you guys can fill me in a bit on this. I am lost and im not usually this lost. I cant figure anything out right now but this needs fixed asap. Any one that can help please do!! Thanks
Old 11-07-10, 03:39 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

My advice is on this is take it to a tranny shop, it should be an easy fix for them. It's clear this is uncharted territory for you, and if you make a mistake on reconnecting these lines, you're going to be buying a new transmission, which for your car probably means the whole thing goes to a scrap yard since a rebuilt transmission is probably worth more than the car.

Here's an image from a service manual, but it's a later model (99 Es300)

You can see the hoses where it's marked "A/T Oil Cooler Hose" they go into the lower part of the radiator.
Old 11-07-10, 05:35 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are saying that the fluid is coming out of that pipe, that is one of the 2 coolant drains for the block. There's another one of the front of the block, to the right of the oil filter. The only thing that should be coming out of that is engine coolant, which for Toyota OEM is also red. If you are sure the fluid coming out is ATF, then it is coming out of somewhere else.
Old 11-08-10, 04:05 AM
kyledye25
Rookie

Thanks for the help. I guess my thoughts are out the window. Luckily I work at a Toyota shop...Toyota of Greensburg to be exact. I just have to get it towed there I guess. I wanted to fix this myself but looks like I will leave it up to the pros. Thanks again.
Old 11-08-10, 02:19 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kyledye25
Thanks for the help. I guess my thoughts are out the window. Luckily I work at a Toyota shop...Toyota of Greensburg to be exact. I just have to get it towed there I guess. I wanted to fix this myself but looks like I will leave it up to the pros. Thanks again.
I think that's a smart move, especially if you work at the place and know they're not going to take you for a ride.

I'm all for people doing their own work on cars, but some jobs are best left to pros. Almost anything transmission related, I let someone who knows more than I do tackle it. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your car, if it's coolant or transmission fluid, but it's worth getting fixed properly and not taking any chances if you're unsure.

Let us know what it ends up being. You might just have a coolant hose that sprang a leak.
Old 11-09-10, 03:58 AM
kyledye25
Rookie

Well I know its not coolant. My coolant isnt red like Toyota coolant is. I bought the car and it had a new rad in it and new coolant which was green. I know its tranny fluid for a fact because I have added it in and watched it leak onto the ground but cant get under the car enough to see where from without getting the fluid all over myself. But I cant do much till this weekend. So I think sat i will take another peak. One of the mechanics offered to drive down to my house...So I may do that. Would save me a tow if he can see whats going on. Another pair of eyes is always good.
Old 11-21-10, 08:47 AM
kyledye25
Rookie

Its not a tranny cooling line. There is a whole, thats supposed to be there and not cracked or anything, and the fluid is leaking out there. Here is a pick of the whole.

This is at the very bottom almost of the tranny. As you can see the exhaust is right there as well. Which caused all the smoking. It is dripping out of there. At idle its not bad but steady. Should there be something plugging this hole or what? Or is the tranny shot from the inside and thats why its leaking? I can imagine something being there to plug it but I can also see it there and nothing coming out and my tranny is shot now. But I am hoping someone knows!!! Please tell me it needs plugged!!! I cant afford to put a tranny in this thing.....any help would be appreciated! Who out there can take a look at there tranny and tell me if there is a hole or if its plugged? Please help?
Old 11-21-10, 11:04 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have anything like that here to confirm, and to be honest the picture is pretty fuzzy, so I may be totally off here... but that to me looks like the interface point between the tranny and the engine. The torque converter is in that section, and that "notch" where the fluid is coming out of is there for a reason, to let any accumulated fluids drain out (engine oil, tranny fluid, water, coolant, etc). My guess is that something on the torque convertor has let go, a seal or something. I don't *think* the parts will be expensive, but the tranny has to get separated from the engine, which is a lot of labor.

Or I could be completely off-track. Just tossing it out there... maybe someone else can give you more.