RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Creaking Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 08:18 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Creaking Dash?

I recently bought an 02 RX300. The dash seems to creak whenever I start off, or hit the breaks. It almost is like I have something loose inside the dash. I hit the gas, it creaks back. Speed up to 10mph or so, hit the brakes and it creaks forward. At first I thought maybe it was stuff sliding around in the glove box, but I emptied it and it still makes the noise. I only hear it stopping and starting from a stop or slow roll. I don't notice anything over 10mph.

It's fairly subtle - my wife actually noticed it first and now I can't stop hearing it.

I want to take it back to the dealer but I would like to give them an idea of where to look first. Have any of you had a similar problem? If so, what was the fix?
Old 08-21-06, 09:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

It happens. Sometimes after some temperature changes outside, I notice the creaking for a few days afterwards and sometimes there is that creak that seems impossible to kill. Could be a screw here or there, but there is no magic place to look for.

If it were something on the outside of the vehicle then I might have some hints.
Old 08-22-06, 04:04 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

So it's a chronic problem with many RX300s? I mean it literally sounds like I have a bunch of junk hidden behind the dash that slids back and forth as I start and stop the car.
Old 08-22-06, 07:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
So it's a chronic problem with many RX300s? I mean it literally sounds like I have a bunch of junk hidden behind the dash that slids back and forth as I start and stop the car.
It is something that does crops up on this forum and it is mentioned by many CL members. We have not found a certain fix to it, but everytime I have tried to localize a particular creak or sound out of the dash, the sound goes away.
Old 08-22-06, 08:03 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Sounds like the solution might be to turn on a good CD. But with a car this nice, you shouldn't have to drown it out with music. It's strange... I've owned many cars with creaks and rattles and have learned how to deal. But this really sounds like something is lose inside the dash. I'm going to have the used car dealer look at it (I just bought it). But I bet they are going to claim not to hear it, or say it's normal. If so, I might take it to a dealer to let them take a look.
Old 08-22-06, 08:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I drown it out with the drone from my exhaust

You are right to complain about it as it can get kind of annoying especially when the creaks aren´t just a second or two, but can become repetitive.

My greater concern is when I hear it from an area of the suspension.
Old 08-23-06, 05:35 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if this would help, but you might try mopping a heavy coat of leather conditioner all over the dash, paying particular attention to the edges or seams. (Armorall will make it shine and produce a lot of glare.) Don't forget to hit the glove box door - that seems to be responsible for an unusual amount of noises. The creaking would seem to indicate movement, and where there is movement your choice is either to stop it or lubricate it.

I suspect that if this is a new problem for you, something had to change to start it, and summer heat can dry out leather, vinyl, and other hard surfaces such that only a tiny bit of movement can creat a creak. Amplified by the big sounding board of a flat expanse of the top of the dash or the glove box door, it becomes audible - and annoying.

At least it's something to try . . . and you get a nice clean dash out of it!

IF you ever pinpoint the source of the creaking noise, a tiny bit of pure lanolin (available from your pharmacist) serves as a fine long-lasting lubricant. It is water repellant, it won't stain, will penetrate leather (it lubricates sheep very nicely, being a natural product of their skin), and is effective on balky zippers, snaps, and clips. It is non-toxic, inexpensive, and actually good for your skin (it's the base for most face and hand lotions, expensive and otherwise), A dollop of this soft white goo (about a teaspoon) will serve as a lifetime supply in these applications.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-23-06 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 09:29 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Those are some great tips for fixing creaks, but I probably shouldn't have titled the post "creaking dash" because I don't think it's a typical creak. It really sounds like something it loose inside there, rolling around. You know how it sounds when you have loose luggage sliding around in the back? Every time you hit the gas, it slids back. Every time you hit the brakes, it slides forward. It kinda sounds like that, only inside the dash, and fairly muted. I hope to be taking it back to the dealer soon to see what they have to say. I'll be sure to post up if they have any good info. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 08-24-06, 03:00 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my dash sometimes creaks...and i just smack it where the seems are...then it stops for a little while. the most annoying thing is when the glove creaks, cuz to smack that there's a process involved...you know, you have to loosen your seatbeat, reach over, move your arm back, and smack towards the front, its tough!
Old 09-06-06, 07:16 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Update... I had the used-car dealer look at the problem. They took a bunch of panels off the dash but couldn't find anything loose. I swear it sounds like something is sliding around in there. Doesn't seem like anything serious or dangerous (just annoying) so I guess I'll live with it. Maybe one of these days, I'll have the Lexus dealer check it out when the car is in for service.