RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Deciding between Sports Coupe in this Segment

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 08:52 AM
JL6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between Sports Coupe in this Segment

So I'm contemplating between getting a new used car in the performance luxury coupe segment, i.e. RC F, M4, RS5 for a weekend car. They are all very different animals. Personally I'm leaning towards the RC F. However, I was wondering for the others here when you were deciding which car to buy, what made you decide on the RC F over the other contenders in this segment?

For me personally:
RC F
  1. Comes in Orange (Only color I'm considering) - I currently daily an Orange Subaru XV Crosstrek, so it would look sick having 2 orange cars in the garage.
  2. Lexus quality - Very few known issues and are not major
  3. Can be had for 50-60k range easy for 2015 model
  4. Very rare car, definitely will stand out against other 2 in terms of boldness in design (interior and exterior)
  5. V8 - aftermarket exhausts will sound insane (Meisterschaft)
  6. Con - test drove a couple, and the multimedia touch pad is something to get used to.
  7. Con - Only 8 speed auto; no 6MT or DCT. Shifts quick compared to traditional auto, but still not nearly as quick as DCT.
  8. Con - tuning not readily available, although I've read 1 tuner was able to crack the encrypted ECU.

M4
  1. Only 6MT in this segment.
  2. Better performance - easily tune-able?
  3. Exterior styling is aggressive. On par with RC F in my opinion.
  4. Con - 6 cylinder with aftermarket exhaust sounds too raspy / poppy. Not as nice as a N/A V8.
  5. Con - Interior is quite bland compared to Lexus.

RS5
  1. Very modern, sophisticated exterior styling.
  2. Fast/High revving V8 - aftermarket exhausts will sound insane (Armytrix)
  3. AWD
  4. Dual Clutch
  5. Can be had at low $40k
  6. Con - styling is a bit plain compared to RC F / M4. Doesn't look much different than A5 / S5.
  7. Con - Interior is quite bland compared to Lexus, but I've test drove a S5 couple years back and interior is solid / very nice comfortable leather.

Depreciation is to work in my favor as I plan to keep this new vehicle for over 5-8 years, so I won't be listing it as a con. Personally RS5 is my least favorite of the 3 cars in this segment. I'm currently weekend driving a 2007 350Z. The new car will be replacing the Z as I can't really justify having 3 cars. I've only test driven the RC F as of date and will be test driving the M4 soon. My Z is quite a bit modified, and I'm essentially replacing it with something that is a good performer out of the box; minimal customization necessary; hopefully can keep the mod bugs away.
Old 10-03-16, 09:10 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Driven all three (granted for very short spurts aside from the RCF), and I think it's relatively simple.

If I was going for purely performance only: BMW M4 would be my choice. Easily the fastest of the three stock, and right now the aftermarket community for the M4 is definitely bigger. I've seen videos of tuned M4 on 100 octane keeping up with tuned/exhaust GTRs (2009-2010) from a roll. It's a beast.

If I was going for elegant styling with great sounding motor - Audi RS5 would be my choice. To me, it's the best looking of the group. The shifts sounds amazing.

If I was going for aggressive exterior styling with the best interior of the group and a great sounding motor with Toyota reliability - Lexus RCF. I get compliments and stares all the time. I'm sure way more than the Audi or BMW would. It's a great car. Might not be the fastest but it's definitely fun!
Old 10-03-16, 09:31 AM
kdphan
Driver

I guess I can chime in with experience of an going from an F80M3 to an ATS-V and then added a GSF over the weekend.

My M3 was a basic model with few options (no leather). I hated the interior after awhile since it was bland. I should've gone full leather route. The interior of the M3 started rattling in different places after a few thousand miles.
Looks: M4 looks a bit more aggressive than the RCF TBH.
Sound: exhaust on the M3/M4 sounded terrible no matter what you do. There's no replacement for displacement.
Power/Speed: We all know the M3/M4 is faster off the line with all that torque.

If you want a MT car at the end of the day, your only choice is an M4 (vs RCF and RS5)

Also - I have yet to see an RS5 selling in the 40k range. They're all in the mid 50's around here.

Maybe look into a GSF instead
There are great deals on GSF nowadays.
Old 10-03-16, 02:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would never own a BMW or an Audi out of warranty. So for me the question is simple in this case since you intend to keep it for 5-8 years.

If performance were the top priority on the list then I wouldn't be looking at any of these cars in this price range. You can't beat American muscle in this price range. But out of these cars the M4 wins in stock form and aftermarket availability. I believe the RC F is capable of more power in the aftermarket, time will tell.

If luxury is the top priority then Lexus wins.

Best all around: Lexus IMO. Which is why I bought one. Everyone will have their own opinions and reasons for why they bought what they did.
Old 10-03-16, 03:03 PM
kdphan
Driver

I don't understand the fear to own a german car outside of warranty

I've done so in the past without any issues. Just find a car that has good records.

I still own a 2007 Z4MC with 79k miles and I have no worries.
Old 10-03-16, 03:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kdphan

I've done so in the past without any issues. Just find a car that has good records.

You are the exception, not the rule. Gratz. Most of the people I know who have owned BMW or Audi spent a good deal of time at the dealership.
Old 10-03-16, 03:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I am a German car guy and still have several, albeit Porsches. Porsche quality and reliability is head and shoulders above BMW and I would back far away from a used Porsche unless it was certified. Audi and BMW reliability once you hit about 60 or 70k is pathetic. My wife has been driving an S7 this week and it is a dang nice car, but everyone in the car business I know says stay far, far away from a used Audi with no warranty.

why not check out the new Mercedes AMG C coupe. That car is phenomenal. I also spent some time with a year old CLS 550 and I think I liked it just as much if not a tiny bit better than my RCF. We had an M4 coupe and convertible for a couple of weeks and there are so many things I like better for around the same price.
Old 10-04-16, 08:29 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

This is my best friends M4 next to my RCF. His car lives in the shop. Windows off track, transmission issues constantly and muffler guard fell off. I'm sure I'm forgetting a handful of other things. He's considering a GSF. It'll haul ***, when he has it =)
Old 10-04-16, 12:14 PM
USBGSF16
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

owened a M4 and A RS5 before. M4 is really expensive, with a stock M4, it feels under power and you want to modify it, will the proper mods from out to inside by those big name brand, it cost about 20K to do so. so plus tax it is totally 100K car. However, a ATS V with a tune can destroy your m4 pretty easily.
If you want to go fast, just go with ATS V or C63S, both rated 460whp stock which is a lot, actually close to 600HP at crank. Those days cars are hugely underrated. RCF didn't, so people see RCF has 467HP and why it is so slow, because the other cars with turbo are much more powerful and they rate down the number. AMG GTS shows 510HP crank HP , but it put down more than 500WHP, so does AUDI RS7, S8.
RCF only put down less than 400HP at wheel, of course it is the least powerful car at the segment. The M4 is not reliable, that is why I get rid of that thing, especially when it is tuned. BMW has ancestral drive train malfunction and it cut power when you drive on highway and on track, pretty dangerous ,even I can't engage into gears, and when the car tow to dealer, it recovery. I asked dealer why and they told me it is a limp mode and there is mud on the wheel. WTF , the car is so easy to go to limp mode and the 7DCT is the worst DCT I have ever used, drive like 6AMT in R8.
RS5 is pretty good daily car, but there is no torque, The DCT is so smooth and fast on RS5, you cant even feel it. REVS high, very comfortable, I am pretty pleased drive that thing around town daily. it is quite when you need to and it is loud when you want. Also It got wifi and I loved it. The con on RS5 is that it is a old car and the display are out of date, pretty small screen and old interior. Not many modes on it. You can not squeeze more power on that car, but we can squeeze a lot from our LEXUS.
Haven't had any America cars yet. But on M4 forum all guys are talking about the ATSV is much faster and powerful than M4. personally I don't like its interior.
If you want something problem free and fun to drive and not slow, go with Porsche , get a 718S or Cayman GTS, they feels more fun to drive and more like a supercar, although it is not that fast.

Last edited by USBGSF16; 10-04-16 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 01:03 PM
kdphan
Driver

Originally Posted by USBGSF16
owened a M4 and A RS5 before. M4 is really expensive, with a stock M4, it feels under power and you want to modify it, will the proper mods from out to inside by those big name brand, it cost about 20K to do so. so plus tax it is totally 100K car. However, a ATS V with a tune can destroy your m4 pretty easily.
If you want to go fast, just go with ATS V or C63S, both rated 460whp stock which is a lot, actually close to 600HP at crank. Those days cars are hugely underrated. RCF didn't, so people see RCF has 467HP and why it is so slow, because the other cars with turbo are much more powerful and they rate down the number. AMG GTS shows 510HP crank HP , but it put down more than 500WHP, so does AUDI RS7, S8.
RCF only put down less than 400HP at wheel, of course it is the least powerful car at the segment. The M4 is not reliable, that is why I get rid of that thing, especially when it is tuned. BMW has ancestral drive train malfunction and it cut power when you drive on highway and on track, pretty dangerous ,even I can't engage into gears, and when the car tow to dealer, it recovery. I asked dealer why and they told me it is a limp mode and there is mud on the wheel. WTF , the car is so easy to go to limp mode and the 7DCT is the worst DCT I have ever used, drive like 6AMT in R8.

RS5 is pretty good daily car, but there is no torque, The DCT is so smooth and fast on RS5, you cant even feel it. REVS high, very comfortable, I am pretty pleased drive that thing around town daily. it is quite when you need to and it is loud when you want. Also It got wifi and I loved it. The con on RS5 is that it is a old car and the display are out of date, pretty small screen and old interior. Not many modes on it. You can not squeeze more power on that car, but we can squeeze a lot from our LEXUS.
Haven't had any America cars yet. But on M4 forum all guys are talking about the ATSV is much faster and powerful than M4. personally I don't like its interior.
If you want something problem free and fun to drive and not slow, go with Porsche , get a 718S or Cayman GTS, they feels more fun to drive and more like a supercar, although it is not that fast.
Agree on the ATS-V interior being inferior (I have one).

There are a few annoyances that GM refuses to fix (exhaust rattle when accelerating) and loud humming sound when coming to a stop. GM says it's "normal". For a $73k car they used a lot of plastic but I was fine with it when I bought it. Other than those things I mentioned, the car has been a blast to drive. Power is there when I need it and steering is precise. My former M3's suspension was way inferior compared to the GM mag-ride.

It's refreshing to sit in the GSF after spending so much time in my ATS-V.
Old 10-04-16, 08:27 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RCF all day sport, luxury and reliability.
Old 10-04-16, 08:45 PM
JL6speed
Driver

I am planning to get a used car, so I guess reliability is key. Thanks for everyone's insight; it's nice to get different peoples' perspective on these cars. I was going to consider an ATS-V, but I can't stand the new center console. I drove a CTS or XTS rental and the sliding volume buttons was a deal breaker for me. Personally not considering Mercedes as it's just not my cup of tea.

Also saw that the new RS5 might be coming out later this year or next year, so that's another con I could add to the list.

So for those that got the RC F currently, you don't feel the RC F being too under-powered compared to the other cars? I am coming from a N/A modified tuned 6MT 350Z and I was fairly impressed by the RC F already. One of the main perks for considering the M4 is the 6MT.
Old 10-05-16, 05:26 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JL6speed
So for those that got the RC F currently, you don't feel the RC F being too under-powered compared to the other cars? I am coming from a N/A modified tuned 6MT 350Z and I was fairly impressed by the RC F already. One of the main perks for considering the M4 is the 6MT.
how modified was your 350? I had a stock AT 370 that ran 12.9 and the Rcf is barely faster from a dig, 12.8 quarter mile.

the Rcf shines after 90 mph and well into the triple digits as the v8 keeps on pulling.
Old 10-05-16, 06:45 AM
AlexisRcF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven all three and for alot of the same reasons that others have mentioned, I chose the RCF. First and foremost, I've never been the type to have what others have. I like the rareness and exclusivity you get with the rcf. Out of the three, it is the boldest and most aggressive looking car IMO. The M4 is very clean and simple but you know it's different from regular 4 series. The Rs5 has a great high revving v8 that can be addicting. It is just as heavy as the rcf but under powered so you feel it even more. The AWD is great as the car just feels very planted and secure. The interior is very nice but is feeling dated as its an older model and is need of a refresh. This was the deal breaker for me unfortunately. I have only owned MT cars so not having that option was a biggie for me as I just truly enjoy rowing the gears myself. I took a chance and drove the rcf and the moment I got into the cabin and put it in sports+, I was hooked. I totally forgot about wanting or needing a manual tranny. I'm coming from my daily Acura Tsx that has been pretty modified and puts down about 300 whp with the supercharger and it's a rare 6spd car. I also had the weekend toy, a 2010 camaro ss with a procharger on it that was putting down 600 whp and also a 6spd manual.
Maybe I'm getting older or something but I enjoy putting it in auto mode and just cruising sometimes and with the flick of button, I can switch to the manual/paddle shifters.

The price difference between the M4 and rcf was just too much for me to bear the differences. Yes it is quicker and lighter but reliability and the looks were just as important to me so it was a no Brainer for me. Good luck and I suggest driving both in the same day and you will know which is the one for you.
Old 10-05-16, 07:31 AM
rnp614
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I can chime in with experience of an going from an F80M3 to an ATS-V and then added a GSF over the weekend.

My M3 was a basic model with few options (no leather). I hated the interior after awhile since it was bland. I should've gone full leather route. The interior of the M3 started rattling in different places after a few thousand miles.
Looks: M4 looks a bit more aggressive than the RCF TBH.
Sound: exhaust on the M3/M4 sounded terrible no matter what you do. There's no replacement for displacement.
Power/Speed: We all know the M3/M4 is faster off the line with all that torque.

If you want a MT car at the end of the day, your only choice is an M4 (vs RCF and RS5)

Also - I have yet to see an RS5 selling in the 40k range. They're all in the mid 50's around here.

Maybe look into a GSF instead
There are great deals on GSF nowadays.
Tell me about your ATS V? Very interested sedan or coupe

Quick Reply: Deciding between Sports Coupe in this Segment