RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F vs. M4 - Weight, Build and Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 07:52 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RC-F vs. M4 - Weight, Build and Reliability

Looks, price and perceived prestige are another topic. I'm talking about meat and potatoes so please let's not derail this thread.

There seems to be quite the discussion and/or disappointment on the weight of the RC-F and other cars in this class (specifically the M4), not only from the media, but from some owners.

Weight
So what is it that makes it so bloated? Is it extra sound deadening that gives it its quiet ride? Interior material quality? Is the naturally aspirated V8 overall heavier than a turbocharged inline 6 cyl.? Safety features including good crash test data? Does anyone have this information?

Build and Reliability
The RC-F has good crash test ratings and no recalls
http://www.cars.com/lexus/rc-f/2015/safety-ratings/
Crash Test

The 2015 M4 is listed with no crash data information and currently has 1 recall:
http://www.cars.com/bmw/m4/2015/safety-ratings/
Crash Test (partial video)

IMO, a couple of 10ths in a Q mile is negligible when you're looking at ride comfort, quietness, safety and reliability.

Last edited by lexusnutt; 07-01-16 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Edited RCF video link
Old 07-01-16, 08:19 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First...just because they havent performed the crash test doesnt mean the RC-F's is better (you used a video of the RC350, btw).

Secondly...is a 'recall' of 42 cars really a recall? i mean...i guess it is. i'd never heard of it and i have a 2016...
Old 07-01-16, 08:30 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
First...just because they havent performed the crash test doesnt mean the RC-F's is better (you used a video of the RC350, btw).

Secondly...is a 'recall' of 42 cars really a recall? i mean...i guess it is. i'd never heard of it and i have a 2016...
Out comes Mr. Sunshine . . . always beaming rays of positivity, especially anything having to do with the RC F.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-01-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 09:14 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

*Grabs popcorn* Subbed.
Old 07-01-16, 09:19 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DougHII
Out comes Mr. Sunshine . . . always beaming rays of positivity, especially anything having to do with the RC F.
i'm honored that you look for my posts. sorry i havent been around in few. and i get the sarcasm but could you show me the negativity i posted towards the RC-F? or better yet...respond to the post and not the poster?
Old 07-01-16, 09:46 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick

My good Dr.,

FIRST, I did not state the RC-F was better, but stated that the crash tests were rated as "Good".
I'm extremely curious why there are no published crash ratings on the 2015 M4, a car that has been out nearly 2 years.

A recall listed as a recall, is a recall. I merely stated a fact. BTW, the RC350 is the same body if you haven't noticed regardless of the motor.

Finally, your post, as evident by many others you've submitted is non-value added. Move along.
Old 07-01-16, 09:56 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
My good Dr.,

FIRST, I did not state the RC-F was better, but stated that the crash tests were rated as "Good".
I'm extremely curious why there are no published crash ratings on the 2015 M4, a car that has been out nearly 2 years.

A recall listed as a recall, is a recall. I merely stated a fact. BTW, the RC350 is the same body if you haven't noticed regardless of the motor.

Finally, your post, as evident by many others you've submitted is non-value added. Move along.
well thats just rude...
Old 07-01-16, 10:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

The RC-F vs M4 topic has been discussed ad nauseum and since this has turned personal and rude....