RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Strange sensor issue: complete power loss, PCS, brake overide sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 07:59 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sensor issue: complete power loss, PCS, brake overide sensor failure

Hey fellas,

This was a weird one. I was on a highway road trip about 2 hours into my trip when my cluster lit up with several warning lights and I had a complete loss of power. I could maintain speed after it dropped to around 100km/h but it would slowly drop 1-2km/h per second. Essentially I had zero ability to accelerate.

I immediately pulled off the highway and turned the car off, stepped out, locked the car and then returned and started it back up.

The PCS warning lights continued to flash however my power returned and the brake warning left.

It took a hard reset of the ECU (30 mins unplugged) before the codes all cleared.

The problem has not returned since.

I snagged a video while it was happening for the dealership as I plan on taking the car in just to have the issue on file.

http://vid1273.photobucket.com/album...psgm6pkqbn.mp4

Old 02-10-16, 10:48 AM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it possible that something could have covered/obstructed the radar sensor and when you stopped or slowed significantly it fell off? That is a weird one and would have unnerved me.
Old 02-10-16, 11:59 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car had a similar issue on 2 occasions where it lost power and the PCS lights came on along with an SRS Airbag System Failure warning. I took it into the dealership immediately and they said it was due to "low voltage". They put a new battery in the car and problem has not returned.

On another note: -1 degree Celsius, that's insane!. I'm from South Florida, can you tell?
Old 02-10-16, 01:10 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
My car had a similar issue on 2 occasions where it lost power and the PCS lights came on along with an SRS Airbag System Failure warning. I took it into the dealership immediately and they said it was due to "low voltage". They put a new battery in the car and problem has not returned.

On another note: -1 degree Celsius, that's insane!. I'm from South Florida, can you tell?
That was my first thought however I have yet to have an issue turning over. It goes in Friday morning regardless.

haha -1 is nothing! try -40 or worse. This winter has been extremely mild.
Old 02-10-16, 05:15 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Uggghhh...please do not tell me the RC F has a limp mode and stops driving on the road in the middle of nowhere like the 4 incidents I read on the M4 forum...please...I have no where to go from here if I leave ..... ;-))
Old 02-10-16, 06:57 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by airlaird
Uggghhh...please do not tell me the RC F has a limp mode and stops driving on the road in the middle of nowhere like the 4 incidents I read on the M4 forum...please...I have no where to go from here if I leave ..... ;-))
you're safe.

I have a feeling its a sensor somewhere on the front end.

I can't see my mods having anything to do with it, however the Apexi throttle controller comes into question.
Old 02-12-16, 10:58 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

OP, did you try switching off PCS? The button is under the steering column. It's a toggle switch. If there's a next time, you should try that. Now I regret my car having that crap. Never use cruise, let alone a radar one. And PCS can be very dangerous when driving/passing aggressively on 2-lane roads. It's useless to me. Forgot to turn it off on Big Bend's river run, but fortunately, hardly any traffic. But cresting one of those roller-coaster hills with an immediate hard-right turn with an oncoming car wouldn't have been pretty. Please keep us posted on the culprit. Good luck.
Old 02-13-16, 08:08 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
OP, did you try switching off PCS? The button is under the steering column. It's a toggle switch. If there's a next time, you should try that. Now I regret my car having that crap. Never use cruise, let alone a radar one. And PCS can be very dangerous when driving/passing aggressively on 2-lane roads. It's useless to me. Forgot to turn it off on Big Bend's river run, but fortunately, hardly any traffic. But cresting one of those roller-coaster hills with an immediate hard-right turn with an oncoming car wouldn't have been pretty. Please keep us posted on the culprit. Good luck.
Yes I did, several times.

Will keep posted.
Old 02-25-16, 03:33 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

sorry guys forgot to update.

Got the car back from Lexus and they attributed the problem to the Apexi throttle controller. Apparently the throttle and braking system run through the same sensors.

I am taking apart my Apexi system, double checking the pins, and will re-install.

This problem has still only happened the once.

On another note, also had the brake pads changed out and they seem to be far less dusty and noisy than the originals.
Old 02-25-16, 04:13 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
What are you yapping about now?

Radar cruise is the most useful option in the catalog. Forgot to turn it off? Anytime you touch the brakes it disengages like your normal cruise control so whatever it was that you were doing being "dangerous when driving/passing aggressively on 2-lane roads" already tells me you're yapping out of the side of your neck.

Set it at 70 mph, choose your distance, and you drive in comfort with nary a worry about throttle-brake adjustments. For some reason if you got distracted, the car smartly warns you to brake when approaching the car ahead. Even when someone cuts in which inevitably happens and that car is traveling at a speed greater than yours, it doesn't brake at all. Rather, it gives the car ahead time to stay ahead, move lanes or if it slows down, adjusts accordingly.

It's a great system. I just wish it worked even when coming to a complete stop. It was a must-have option for me and will be for any new car I purchase in the future. Once you have it, you don't want to go back.
Old 05-03-18, 06:14 PM
HauntedKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the polish this morning; this evening I drove over some really nasty mountain roads from Clearlake to Santa Rosa California, no problem at all with the PCS passing over the pass. Looks great, glad to see it back to its original shine. There was just one chip that was too deep to fully get out, but its no longer yellow and instead of hundreds of scratches and chips . . . I've only got one now. Thanks for the original post, it gave me the courage to go after this most delicate part of my car with gusto!