Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

first gen gs300 Exhaust leak, alignment problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 06:49 PM
kasper634
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gen gs300 Exhaust leak, alignment problem.

Hey everyone, couple months ago i made a thread about a noise in my engine that it was all loud when the cvar started up stuff. well i went to change the shocks and tired and the other day and the guy was like oh youre coming ho get the exhaust leak fixed im like no just changing the shocks and tires. well while i was under the car i was looking for a whole in the exhaust pipes. unfortuntely i wasnt able to find any. so after i was finished we went to do a alignment. unfortuntly everythin was all messed up the only thing the guy was able to fix was the toe. The camber is wayyy off. he said he cant fix it i need to bring it to a dealer and have aftermarket shimms installed. so im like ok no problem 2 days later i was at the dealer i told him that my camber is off i didnt say anything about the shimms. they couldint even get a reading on the camber because the car is too low and the sensors cant see each other? I have the eibach springs and kyb gr2 shocks. the guy at town fair tire was able to get a reading on the camber just couldint fix it. so anyways i got some bigger tires in the front to rase the car a bit see if that will work. But with the exhaust leak the lexus tech said that my gasket between the headers and the first exhaust pipe blew out. he also sasid that putting a double gasket inthere wonthelp and i need a whole new pipe? and the cat pipe too. he qouted me 1500 on the front pipe and 500 on the center pipe.

now my questions are:

were can i get these parts used? im really tight on money i cant afford this right now, it sounds really bad and im loosing alot of backpressure.

also do they make like a haynes automotive manual for the 93
gs300's?

and does anyone else have any problems as far as aligment goes with the eibach springs? i have 17" rims with 225/45/17 avon tires.

Thanks alot for any help you guys can give me!! THANKS
Old 09-16-02, 12:30 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1)No haynes doesnt make a manual for the GS because not a lot of people would buy it.

2)yes when you lower your car you will have negative camber how much depends on suspension geometry of the car you are dealing with.
(my 94 gs3 is lowered about 4 inches and I have only -.89 degrees of camber which IMO is more than fine it helps the car handle better in extreem hard cornering...It does wear tires faster though)

3)You need to find a second opinion...not that they are ripping you off but I know how much parts cost and IMHO thats a bit much. You could buy aftermarket headers and all new piping/cats/exhaust for that money.
Old 09-16-02, 12:52 PM
kasper634
Rookie

Default manual

sopposedly i headr there is a manual for our car it costs like 100 bucks its 2 books. if anyone want any more info i can get you the 1800 number to call.
Old 09-17-02, 11:20 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why they can't measure his camber. EG8, you lowered your car 4" and you ended up with -.98 you say? That's not a whole lot of camber. I doubt he lowered his car any more than you did; there's no excuse why they can't measure it.

oops! oh, -.89. even better.

I think people would buy the books if haynes made them. They could make a Supra\SC300\GS300 book. That's a lot of people and the cars share so many components.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 09-17-02 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 11:58 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

kasper634 I totaly agree about the books but at the same time you have to think that when they make a book they get the info by doing a complete tear down of a complete car so it may not be cost effective for them, not to mention that the lexus/toyota manual is like 1000X' better. With more technical data as well.
Best 109 bux I ever spent.

Oh and the eibach coils only lower the car 1.25 inches or so
they would hardly even notice the camber change.
Search "ingalls camber + lexus" there may be some damaged/worn components that need to serviced.
Old 09-17-02, 12:47 PM
kasper634
Rookie

yeah well i found a place wehere there parting out a gs300, hell give the the 2 pipes i want for 200 buscks plus like 50 dollar shipping. but i would like to ge tthe book cuz there is no way im bringing the car to the dealer to get theis fixed cuz there going to come up with another 2 pages of stuff i will need.but im def going to get the book. ogh yea one more thing, my rear buld out light came on, i changed both bulbs, the light is still on. what do i do? do i gotta hook it up to a computer to reset it? or what?
Attached Thumbnails first gen gs300 Exhaust leak, alignment problem.-dsc00193.jpg  
Old 09-17-02, 12:56 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Probly still have a bulb out I had the same problem. check all taillamp bulbs and in the trunk also