Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS Intake dynograph vs Basline dynograph

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 04:00 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default LMS Intake dynograph vs Basline dynograph

Here are my dyno sheets from today. One is Correction Factor SAE and the other is STD. I also attached a few links to some videos of my dyno today. Until I added a second fan (blue), my hp and tq was yielding about 12 hp and 12 ft/lbs tq less. This car needs cold air! When I added the smaller blue fan and directed the air flow towards the intake snorkel my lost power came back to near STOCK levels as you can see in the grapshs. Is an intake worth it on this car? I think the results are inconclusive. Primarly because the car is not moving with winds hitting the front. (fans help, but can not duplicate wind speeds as if driving down the road where the air is forced into the intake at a greater velocity). I am fairly confident that this intake would prove significantly better than stock, but to make a dyno comparison just doesn't seem to be the best way to measure gains here. Also from anyone you talk to that has this intake, there is definetly felt power down in the lower rpms, which can't be measured on the dyno due to the car wanting to downshift.

**edit** I forgot to mention that there was no disconnecting of the battery before any of the dyno's or after. Original baseline dyno was done a few weeks ago, installed the LMS intake over a week ago and have about 300miles on the car with the LMS intake so my ECU has learned the new intake modification and has adjusted appropriately. These are real results with no tricks played like doing a dyno right after installing the intake or resetting the ECU, which almost always yields gains due to the car running leaner until the ECU learns.

Positives:
1. I didn't lose any peak power
2. LMS intake makes more power throughout the rpms all the way until 6000rpm
3. LMS intake makes FELT power in the lower rpms. (Butt dyno confirmed!)
3. This intake sounds great!
4. This intake looks great!

Negatives:
1. On a dyno it is hard to acurately test how much of an improvment it is over stock (airlfow)
2. Some people may not like the extra noise the intake makes

Videos:
Dyno 1. This is what happens if you try to step on the gas too early. Downshifts!!
Dyno 1

Dyno 2. . Longer version of one of my earlier dynos today. (notice no blue fan)
Dyno 2

Dyno 3. This is my best dyno of the day. Notice the smaller blue fan that I had to add
Dyno 3
-
Attached Thumbnails LMS Intake dynograph vs Basline dynograph-sae-dyno-with-lms-intake-small-.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 02-16-06 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 04:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

STD Graph. Notice higher number with this Correction Factor
Attached Thumbnails LMS Intake dynograph vs Basline dynograph-std-dyno-with-lms-intake-small-.jpg  
Old 02-16-06, 04:09 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i never understood why hot air intakes were called cold air intakes. i consider cold air outside the engine bay. bottom line, the intake makes power.
Old 02-16-06, 04:16 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

caymandive thanks for the dyno and the info...I'm glad I got the intake, now I just can't wait to get off work and put it on.
Old 02-16-06, 04:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
i never understood why hot air intakes were called cold air intakes. i consider cold air outside the engine bay. bottom line, the intake makes power.
i dont think LMS was ever advertised as a CAI
Old 02-16-06, 04:24 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i dont think LMS was ever advertised as a CAI
Yeah LMS website advertises it as a Short Ram Intake, but for some reason back a few months ago I think the intake was getting labeled as cold air, which is thowing everyone off.
Old 02-16-06, 04:37 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the clarification. i think someone with the prototype called it cold air. thanks for your dyno. glad to see that you resolved your issue with LMS and Fedex(missing delivery).
Old 02-16-06, 04:40 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe those people are confusing it with the First Gen IS300 which LMS has a cold air intake for.
Old 02-16-06, 05:26 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you have your bottom two videos switched around...
Old 02-16-06, 05:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

CAI usually requires cutting into the body sometimes, not something id do to an IS
Old 02-16-06, 06:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gshb
i think you have your bottom two videos switched around...
Thanks. Problem fixed.
Old 03-31-06, 06:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but i'm confused about something here... Your dyno concluded that you were making less power with the intake, but you came to the conclusion that the intake DOES make power... How is that so?

The car actually moving would benifit the stock intake more so then the LMS since it has ducting directed towards the front of the car to give it a "ram air" effect. The LMS intake seems to be not only much more isolated from cool ambient air than the stock intake, but also doesn't appear to benifit as much if at all when the car is in motion as the stock intake does.