Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EGR Pipe removal

Old 03-13-14, 11:00 AM   #1
tenac2215
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

tenac2215
Default EGR Pipe removal

im about to go ahead and buy an egr delete kit from lextreme, but i wanted to know if anyone had any experience in removing the EGR system? specifically the EGR pipe that takes exhaust from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. i was looking at it yesterday and it looks like its a pretty tight squeeze to get it out of there. just looking for some advice, thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
tenac2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 04:54 PM   #2
oldManTan
Lexus Test Driver

i wanna do this too, i read that you can just stick some aluminum plates in the valves with high temp silicon and a 10 ohm resistor somewhere. i can't find a good DIY or anything on this though. there's no need to remove the pipe though, you just need to stop the flow of dirty air from the exhaust to the intake. now that i think about it, this has to be horrible for the engine. all the burnt dirty gases going into the engine? what hippy thought of this???!? i gotta do this now, thanks for the inspiration lol. but then again i read about it more and it seems to be pointless if you dont need extra room in the bay. so idk about this.
oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 11:36 AM   #3
tenac2215
Rookie

tenac2215

Anyone have any tips on disconnecting the bottom part where the pipe attaches to the header? Is there any way to get it without removing the cat and y pipe?
Old 04-28-14, 01:36 AM   #4
GSXMike
Pole Position

The problem with using a block off plate on the head is that hot exhaust gas gets trapped in that port and I guess it has caused the #6 cylinder to bite the dust for some people due to heat.

Im not sure if that's on boosted cars or in general.

At the very least if you delete your egr, you need to thread that hole on the head and screw a long bolt in there so exhaust gas doesnt have a place to build up and heat up that area.

If you arent planning to thread that port and stick a long bolt in it for good, dont bother with the block off plate, it could cause you a huge headache down the road. Also, people have reported a loss in miles per gallon from deleting the egr stuff.

Search google and you will see, there are a couple of old threads on supraforums regarding this.

Last edited by GSXMike; 04-28-14 at 01:45 AM..
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 01:41 AM   #5
GSXMike
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenac2215 View Post
Anyone have any tips on disconnecting the bottom part where the pipe attaches to the header? Is there any way to get it without removing the cat and y pipe?
The egr pipe does not attach to the exhaust manifold. It is held onto the head, intake mani side by #6 piston, via two 12mm bolts. The pipe raises up from the head, curves to bolt to a valve that bolts to the intake manifold.

Last edited by GSXMike; 04-28-14 at 03:36 PM..
GSXMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 08:50 AM   #6
tenac2215
Rookie

tenac2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXMike View Post
The egr pipe does not attach to the exhaust manifold. It is held onto the head, intake mani side by #6 piston, via two 12mm bolts. The pipe raises up from the head, curves to bolt to a valve that bolts to the intake manifold.
talking about 1uz here
Old 10-16-14, 08:50 AM