SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I cant think of a reason not to.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 05:21 PM
Msaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant think of a reason not to.

I was wondering if it would effect anything in a negative way if I remove the pipe that recirculates the exhaust gas to the intake manifold? I would obviously use the plates to cover both of the resulting holes but would it throw a check engine light? I would probably leave everything on the side of the intake manifold it it works. I know I would feel better if she wasn't sucking in that exhaust. A link would be great if there is one. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Msaucier; 12-28-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 06:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Look up EGR Delete. Tons of info here and at Lextreme, although you won't find any consensus. That actually is what convinced me to go ahead and do it (that and the alternative being to replace the EGR filter who's plastic crumbled in my hand while removing a vacuum hose) ... there would be clear cut reasons not to if people had actually run into anything more than theoretical drawbacks.
Old 12-29-14, 05:38 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC I had a check engine light after removing the EGR, and us in TX have the wonderful task of passing emissions. Other than that, I had no issues at all, was able to greatly clean up the jumble of useless vacuum lines and have a much cleaner engine bay. I did get rid of the CEL, but do not recall how I did it.
Old 12-29-14, 01:53 PM
Msaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
IIRC I had a check engine light after removing the EGR, and us in TX have the wonderful task of passing emissions. Other than that, I had no issues at all, was able to greatly clean up the jumble of useless vacuum lines and have a much cleaner engine bay. I did get rid of the CEL, but do not recall how I did it.
I did one a few years ago and of course it tripped the check engine light, what I am wondering is, If I leave the sensor and all the vacuum lines on the side of the intake manifold and remove the attached piping and cap the header and the back of the intake manifold that should do what I would like by removing the exhaust gasses from the intake manifold and leave everything plugged in so there should be no check engine light. I guess what im wondering is would I get check engine light for the exhaust gases not being mixed with clean air? maybe a stupid question.
Old 12-29-14, 03:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Msaucier
I did one a few years ago and of course it tripped the check engine light, what I am wondering is, If I leave the sensor and all the vacuum lines on the side of the intake manifold and remove the attached piping and cap the header and the back of the intake manifold that should do what I would like by removing the exhaust gasses from the intake manifold and leave everything plugged in so there should be no check engine light. I guess what im wondering is would I get check engine light for the exhaust gases not being mixed with clean air? maybe a stupid question.
Not a stupid question to me as I have no idea, never tried that.
Old 12-29-14, 03:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

There's a decent chance it would work, as the resistor trick on OBDI cars is just fooling the ECU into thinking the EGR Valve is still connected. However, the signal the valve passes may differ depending on conditions...

I think you'd be better off removing all that unsightly crap and just doing the resister trick, assuming you aren't OBDII.
Old 12-29-14, 04:19 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
There's a decent chance it would work, as the resistor trick on OBDI cars is just fooling the ECU into thinking the EGR Valve is still connected. However, the signal the valve passes may differ depending on conditions...

I think you'd be better off removing all that unsightly crap and just doing the resister trick, assuming you aren't OBDII.
The resistor mod!! Thats what it was that kicked my CEL