Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 06:49 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird acceleration issue

Hey guys I just bought my 92 sc300 m/t about a week ago and just notice a problem that i didnt see/hear during the test drive. Problem is that when im trying to cruise at say 10% throttle i sometimes get this jolt from the car as if the clutch disengages for like half a sec or something. Also 1st gear is sometimes a bit noisy and sounds like things are moving around under the car, specially when i lose traction. Anybody have any idea what this could all be? Just hoping its not something really serious seeing as how I dont have much cash left over after getting the car.
Old 12-31-13, 05:01 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

So I still cant figure whats causing these problems, starting to think its clutch/tranny related. Is it diffucult to drop the transmission on these cars? Want to take a look down there to see if there is anything that looks off. This is getting a little annoying specially when im on the street and have stop and go alot
Old 01-01-14, 05:07 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, wait till someone else says something, because I havent had this issue on this car, but on my last car, an e39 BMW I was having a similar issue right after I bottomed out hard and busted my motor mounts, it went away when I replaced the busted motor mounts. So Maybe that'd be a place for you to inspect and check, but don't go and buy anything just off my words, this is just a guess from way in left field.
Old 01-17-14, 12:45 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Motor mounts look ok, this ***** is driving me crazy =/. Didnt mention this at first since i wasnt sure is this could be part of the problem but my abs and brake light stays on all the time, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 01-17-14, 01:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its hard to tell when looking at them but usually the motor mounts fall apart as soon as you lift the motor on the older mounts. check the trans mount also and maybe make sure the crossmember bolts are tight.
haven't had this problem before so you need to get under there and start looking around.
Old 01-17-14, 07:27 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its hard to tell when looking at them but usually the motor mounts fall apart as soon as you lift the motor on the older mounts. check the trans mount also and maybe make sure the crossmember bolts are tight.
haven't had this problem before so you need to get under there and start looking around.
Oh I see, yeah I kind off just eye balled them when I looked, the car does have 240k+ miles, they probably never been changed or messed with
Old 01-19-14, 11:38 PM
Supradelux
Driver School Candidate

could be a clutch issue dont count me on it
Old 03-17-14, 06:12 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

So I was finally able to properly check the motor mounts and when I lifted the engine this is what came out

Im no mechanic but im fairly certain theyre not supposed to be in 2 pieces right? Lol
Anyways since I dont have replacement mounts right now I just threw on some hockey pucks just so I can still get around in the meantime. Problem is that the car still bucks/jolts forward under light acceleration so im guessing the motor mounts probably weren't the cause of this. The car currently has 250k miles on it and with this amount im guessing electrical components start going out, so maybe thinking its electrical realated. Was originally planning to replace just the long block so I can safely na-t with a more fresh block but with all these problems I dont want to dump alot of money just to have a fully working stock car since I also just recently started having slight idle issues on cold start up.

Do you guys think itll be worth fixing and still going na-t by picking up another 2jz long block with alot less miles or just going 1jz? I just dont want to start something and then half way through realize I was better off going the other route and having wasted all that money for no reason

Last edited by 1slow240; 03-17-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 07:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

250k is not a reason to find another motor if its running alright for the most part. I would start with the simple stuff, ignition first check the cap and rotor those can cause bucking issues if never changed and will get worse. could be an ecu thing as well that can be weather related even. check to see if it is damp by the ecu at all.

what kind of clutch is in there, it could just be a 6 puck or something with a heavy pressure plate mine kind of sounds like that actually and there isn't anything wrong.

also check your timing if you are too advanced it could buck or surge or even with bad gas.
Old 03-17-14, 11:54 PM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
250k is not a reason to find another motor if its running alright for the most part. I would start with the simple stuff, ignition first check the cap and rotor those can cause bucking issues if never changed and will get worse. could be an ecu thing as well that can be weather related even. check to see if it is damp by the ecu at all.

what kind of clutch is in there, it could just be a 6 puck or something with a heavy pressure plate mine kind of sounds like that actually and there isn't anything wrong.

also check your timing if you are too advanced it could buck or surge or even with bad gas.

Its not just the miles its been leaking about 1-2quarts of oil every month and previous owner said it overheated a few times on him so dont want to out the added stress of a turbo on ghis engine.

As for the clutch im not sure, was thinking about dropping the tranny 1 of these weekends to check it out. It grabs pretty hard and early when I let off the clutch pedal. Also broke the yoke on my driveshaft last month, not sure if it was because of the bucking or just because of the miles thats been put on it but somehow I feel like its all connected to the same problem. Right before It lunges forward it feels like there is no response from the car under light acceleration, rpms stay the same doesnt go up or down and it kinda feels like its engine braking for a second then it just jumps forward.

Going to drop the tranny this weekend, starting to think maybe its a damaged pressure plate that causing this. Is the w58 easy to remove and reinstall? Had a hard time when I replaced the transmission on my 240 last year because of the way you had to twist it to get it inso the top of the tranny wouldnt hit the bottom of car

Last edited by 1slow240; 03-18-14 at 12:45 PM.