Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

4runner Distributor cap issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 04:49 PM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4runner Distributor cap issue

My car is currently using a 4runner distributor cap. It's is NA-T, I just tried to install a new OEM distributor cap and found it fit even with the turbo.
My issue is the car won't start with the original cap. Is this a timing issue? I've triple checked the plug wires and made sure the cap was tight
Old 10-28-13, 09:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it could be timing if you removed the distributor. if you just pulled the cap and rotor it shouldn't be a timing issue, but realize when people install the 4 runner cap they swap some of the plug wires around, so you can't just match up the numbers written on the wires with the numbers on the original cap anymore and call it a day, you have to actually swap back the leads to their proper order that they sit on the cylinders again, or you need to swap the 2 that they swapped originally.

I forget which one it is that you swap to install the 4 runner cap, because of the angles some of the wires aren't long enough that why you have to move some plug wires around.

hope that helps, only reason I can think of that it wouldn't start. you also wouldn't know that if you didn't install the 4 runner cap. I used to run one but never liked it if you can use the stock cap that's the way to go for reliability.
Old 10-29-13, 04:30 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it could be timing if you removed the distributor. if you just pulled the cap and rotor it shouldn't be a timing issue, but realize when people install the 4 runner cap they swap some of the plug wires around, so you can't just match up the numbers written on the wires with the numbers on the original cap anymore and call it a day, you have to actually swap back the leads to their proper order that they sit on the cylinders again, or you need to swap the 2 that they swapped originally.

I forget which one it is that you swap to install the 4 runner cap, because of the angles some of the wires aren't long enough that why you have to move some plug wires around.

hope that helps, only reason I can think of that it wouldn't start. you also wouldn't know that if you didn't install the 4 runner cap. I used to run one but never liked it if you can use the stock cap that's the way to go for reliability.
I'm not a fan of it so I was trying to switch to the oem one since it clears my turbo. I didn't install the 4runner cap the previous owner did. I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, and attempted to replace the cap all at once so I know my wires were in the proper order. When you install the 4runner cap do you have to adjust timing? I'm wondering if the previous owner changed it
Old 10-29-13, 07:28 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just posted this up for another member, but post #5 in the link below has all the 4-Runner cap info you need.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-any-help.html

Timing must be adjusted to 10deg BTDC, and wires installed accordingly. You will need to pick up wired individually if possible, and IIRC you need 2 of the #2 wires for clearance/distance on the 4-Runner cap. I ran this setup for a while, and its much easier to run the 4-Runner cap if your having clearance issues, vs. trying to adjust your turbo's seating position.
Old 10-29-13, 08:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

he is actually trying to remove the cap and he didn't install it, thats why I mentioned the wires but if you used a new set of wires with the oem cap everything should be good. there is a chance the Previous owner changed the timing some, you can remove the distributor, line up the notches and insert it back in, even if you are off a good amount it should still start up it just wont idle well, once its running you can check it with the light.

I would still think it wouldn't be off enough to keep it from starting. maybe you missed a connector on the ignitor, coil, something?
Old 10-30-13, 02:06 PM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up just purchasing a new 4Runner cap. I believe the timing has been advanced and is the reason the oem one wouldn't work. The previous cap was just extremely worn.