Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ring and pinion replacement on differential? Pics i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 12:11 PM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring and pinion replacement on differential? Pics i need help!

Car: 98 sc300. 1jzgte, r154, single turbo,
Differential: Unknown.. When i bought the car i was told it was a TRD diff. But its not. =/

hey guys i recently broke something inside my differential.

Today i dropped the entire differential, and removed the cover plate so i can see whats going on inside. (Pictures are below).

one person is telling me i broke my teeth on my LSD. Another person (drewgo) is telling me my LSD is fine, i just need to replace my ring and pinion.

What do you guys think? How do i replace the ring and pinion? Is there a DIY? any recommendations where to buy the parts from?

Please any help, tips, or suggestions is appreciated..

Thats the only metal that broke off inside the differential. the teeth broke off as seen in the picture below.

Last edited by devinb30; 09-20-13 at 12:14 PM. Reason: add text
Old 09-20-13, 07:53 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

From the look of it your LSD is fine but you must inspect all those little spider gears for damage. That is a Torsen gear-type LSD, not a clutch-type TRD LSD. The ring gear, however, is blown. You WILL need to replace that, along with a matching pinion.

Some people here are skilled enough to rebuild a differential, measure the tolerances with a micrometer and apply the correct shim thickness but I highly recommend sending it out to a differential shop for service.

What kind of driving were you doing when you noticed the sound and felt something different? What horsepower are you running?

Regardless, this is a good time to look into choosing a ratio as per your specific needs. 3.769:1 is somewhat rare but you can also switch to a 3.916:1 from an SC400 rear diff as those are fairly cheap and plentiful.
Old 09-23-13, 07:38 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
From the look of it your LSD is fine but you must inspect all those little spider gears for damage. That is a Torsen gear-type LSD, not a clutch-type TRD LSD. The ring gear, however, is blown. You WILL need to replace that, along with a matching pinion.

Some people here are skilled enough to rebuild a differential, measure the tolerances with a micrometer and apply the correct shim thickness but I highly recommend sending it out to a differential shop for service.

What kind of driving were you doing when you noticed the sound and felt something different? What horsepower are you running?

Regardless, this is a good time to look into choosing a ratio as per your specific needs. 3.769:1 is somewhat rare but you can also switch to a 3.916:1 from an SC400 rear diff as those are fairly cheap and plentiful.
Thank you very much for the reply. When you say 3.916 gear ratio from a sc400 how will that help me out? I know shorter gearing will give me better acceleration. But what do I need from the sc400 differential? (What parts) do u know where I can go about getting parts to rebuild mine?
Old 09-23-13, 07:42 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

By the way, the differential broke in my car at low boost. Probably mid 400 whp... I double clutched and it broke.
Old 09-23-13, 08:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you need the parts from it that your broke, mainly that large ring gear with the stripped teeth and the pinion, and probably good idea to stop double clutching. the larger ring gear (missing teeth in your picture) is what sets the ratio, so you have the chance to change ratios by getting the right ring gear, and there are lots of ratios to choose from, search for the differential thread.