Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any sc300 FMIC pics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-03, 07:12 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any sc300 FMIC pics?

Anyone have pics of their FMIC installations? Specifically, how is it mounted and what did you do with the radiator overflow bottle? Did you cut/completely remove the black shroud or scoop inside the nose? Did the horn(s) get in the way? Also, what mounting hardware did you use, what brand IC, core size, flow rate, etc.

Thanks,
-scott
Old 01-15-03, 11:07 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott,

I'll take some pics of mine at the end of the month. I'm going with my buddies fmic, ADFX. We're going to leave the mounting brackets off and fit it up, then see where they need to go.

I was under the impression that the supra fmic's will work. The one I'm using is the same core that he uses for the supra.

I'll let you know

Chris

Last edited by quikturbo; 01-15-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 11:37 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of mine can be found here:
http://www.turboforum.net/lexus

We just bent stuff out of the way (power steering cooler lines) and whatever needed to be removed, we removed.

It is a GReddy 3 row FMIC.

Sorry the pictures aren't so good, I will take more next time I visit.
Old 01-16-03, 12:06 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I understand the Greddy 3-row for the TT is a direct fit, but it's a bit pricey. Spearco makes one about the same size for about half the price, but I haven't seen it used or mounted up.

If all else fails, I'll go with the Greddy.

Hey Angel, how did you fabricate/install the IC piping?

Anyone else?

Thanks again,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 01-16-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-16-03, 07:13 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

The IC piping I got was already custom done for a Supra N/A and the only thing we had to do was lengthen the one pipe about 5" to make it fit perfectly in the SC. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 01-16-03, 08:25 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HKS also offers a FMIC for the SC. Actually, its for the Japanese Soarer, but can easily be used on a US SC turbo kit or motor swap. I have just finished using one on a SC300 with a 2jz-gte motor swap it had really good success with it. For use with a 2jz-ge turbo kit, the piping will need to be modified to work with the GE style intake manifold.

The kit uses the HKS S-Type Intercooler which is 600mm x 301mm x 65mm in dimension. It is basically the same core as the one used in the HKS S-Type FMIC for the Supra TT JZA80. One really good thing about this kit is that the kit comes with the mounting brackets specifically for the SC300. One flaw, currently the kit is only available on a special order basis because it is not normally stocked in the USA. For ones need one ASAP, a Supra kit can be used as well.

Just my $0.02

Will
Old 01-16-03, 09:34 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HKS JZS161
...For use with a 2jz-ge turbo kit, the piping will need to be modified to work with the GE style intake manifold.
Yeah, that's always the problem, but good info to know.

Do you think it's possible to get *just* the IC and mounting hardware without the piping? Also, if I purchase just the IC, what end tanks would I need with the core?

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 01-16-03 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-17-03, 02:40 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by HKS JZS161
...For use with a 2jz-ge turbo kit, the piping will need to be modified to work with the GE style intake manifold.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, that's always the problem, but good info to know.

Do you think it's possible to get *just* the IC and mounting hardware without the piping? Also, if I purchase just the IC, what end tanks would I need with the core?
Yeah, the GE manifold always makes complete IC kits hard to use. Honestly, most of the piping is usable but routing to the throttle body is the custom part.

Its not really possible to get just the IC and the mounting hardware. Aside from the kit, the only other way it is offered is by the core itself and the ends tanks. You would use the the "general" S-Type IC endtanks. To be honest, you would be better of using the Supra IC kit which retails for only $1195. The S-Type core retails for $660 and the endtanks are $110 each and you still need to have them welded together. For a street price of $1000 or less, the Supra kit would be a great option. That is if you dont want to wait for the Soarer one.

Will
Old 01-17-03, 02:51 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

angel, i love your plates
Old 01-17-03, 09:42 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Originally posted by howiedoit
angel, i love your plates
Thanks! Thought maybe I might get a comment or two about that.
Old 01-18-03, 12:14 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by quikturbo
Scott,

I'll take some pics of mine at the end of the month. I'm going with my buddies fmic, ADFX. We're going to leave the mounting brackets off and fit it up, then see where they need to go.

I was under the impression that the supra fmic's will work. The one I'm using is the same core that he uses for the supra.

I'll let you know

Chris
I wish I saw this post earlier. My ADFX Supra FMIC was on yesterday with the bumper off when I visited my car. The thing was on there real well and sturdy too. It looks huge.
Old 01-18-03, 12:21 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Angel
The IC piping I got was already custom done for a Supra N/A and the only thing we had to do was lengthen the one pipe about 5" to make it fit perfectly in the SC. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Angel where did you buy the piping and how much? I need some ASAP.
Old 01-18-03, 12:23 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Man, I bet this is the question that people ask me the most ... that I simply can't answer.

The piping is totally custom. I bought my I/C and turbo kit used from someone who already had this done. The whole kit came from a Supra N/A ... and like I said, everything fit except we had to lengthen the one pipe a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice. Maybe you can find some used piping from an NA-T that was wrecked / parted out ... again .. wish I could help more
Old 01-18-03, 05:07 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hermosa... Try www.burnsstainless.com

gadgetSC

Last edited by gadgetSC; 01-18-03 at 05:10 PM.