Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ignition GURU assistance please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-10, 11:36 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition GURU assistance please...

Ok, before jumping to conclusions, please read. I need as much info as possible and have been searching and reading so many different threads on 6 different forums, I have confused myself to no end.

Here is what I am looking to do. I am currently working on my GTE ECU conversion, but I would like to swap in LS1 coil packs using the MK3 CPS for pick-up signal instead of drilling tapping the head for a TT GTE CPS. I know the MK3 CPS can be used, and have seen it swapped a few times already. The problem is, every write up I find is running an AEM, except for 2, but neither of the 2 have any information regarding the conversion.

I know I will need the TT ignition, not a problem.
LS1 coil packs can be had for $22 each, again no problem.
7MGTE CPS no problem
how to wire everything up...I FAIL.

Problem lies with a wiring diagram showing how to wire in the MK3 CPS to the stock GE igntion, running on a GTE ECU (need a pin-out, or atleast what wires to where on the ECU), and then from there wiring in the LS1 coil packs and TT ignitor.

I know this has been done(but not with the GTE ECU), but cannot find a write up that is simply to the point showing a good diagram, and everything is thrown off due to the GTE ecu. I simply need a quick (I know it wont be quick) write up telling from stock ign. conversion to 7mgte CPS, to TT Ignitor, to LS1 coils, and to the GTE ecu.

Lets try and keep this to the point, cause I know this will spark very high interest with the NA-T guys running turbos that just dont clear the stock dizzy, even with the 4runner cap.
Old 08-23-10, 12:27 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know how to do it on the TT coils and VVTI coils , not sure about the LS1 Coils since you won't need an Ignitor with those.
Each Coil has a built in ignitor.
Old 08-23-10, 12:30 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I know how to do it on the TT coils and VVTI coils , not sure about the LS1 Coils since you won't need an Ignitor with those.
Each Coil has a built in ignitor.
Well lets go that route. Right now I am simply trying to avoid pulling the oil pump and drilling the head, so the easiest route, the better. I can get TT or VVTI coils just as easy.
Old 08-23-10, 01:06 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

So you will remove the Cap and the rotor and leave the base in the Head if you don't wanna replace the oil Pump and drill the head.
You will leave the base of the distributor in the head for the Cam and crank signal.

The plug connector that connects to the Distributor has it think 4 wires
Cam sensor Signal
Crank sensor Signal
Ground
And the forth one i forgot.
You will have to leave that piece in the Cylinder head you will use that for cam and crank signal.
So all you have left will be the coil wiring and the ignitor, I choose the VVti Coils because i won't need a DLI.
But because you are on GTE EcU i would just use the TT Coils, and the wiring is simple also.
I will send you a PM with the AEM link you you will see what am talking about.
Old 08-23-10, 01:12 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

So you will remove the Cap and the rotor and leave the base in the Head if you don't wanna replace the oil Pump and drill the head.
You will leave the base of the distributor in the head for the Cam and crank signal.

The plug connector that connects to the Distributor has it think 4 wires
Cam sensor Signal
Crank sensor Signal
Ground
And the forth one i forgot.
You will have to leave that piece in the Cylinder head you will use that for cam and crank signal.
So all you have left will be the coil wiring and the ignitor, I choose the VVti Coils because i won't need a DLI.
But because you are on GTE EcU i would just use the TT Coils, and the wiring is simple also.
I will send you a PM with the AEM link you you will see what am talking about.

Thats it? So all that garbage I was reading before was useless.. Well if all goes well, I guess Ill have to order some TT valve covers soon too.
Old 08-23-10, 01:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

well, if you are using the TT ecu, i would suggest getting it started using the base of the stock distributor like quickgs300 said. reason is that the AEM only looks for one cam signal cause it runs wasted spark, so either #1 or #6 TDC will work.
The gte ecu runs individual spark, so it needs to see 2 cam signals and the ge distributor is already wired up like that. thats why i recommend getting it running and then swapping to a mk3 cps, or else you will be chasing your tail on this one unless you've done it before.

ls1 coils are cake, take the 6 wires that run to the ignitor (or run them from the ecu itself) and run them straight to the ls1 coils. the coils will also need to be wired for power and ground. thats pretty much it.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-23-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 01:58 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...c,21539.0.html
Just click on 30-1100 and 30-1101 and download the pdf.
Old 08-23-10, 02:26 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
well, if you are using the TT ecu, i would suggest getting it started using the base of the stock distributor like quickgs300 said. reason is that the AEM only looks for one cam signal cause it runs wasted spark, so either #1 or #6 TDC will work.
The gte ecu runs individual spark, so it needs to see 2 cam signals and the ge distributor is already wired up like that. thats why i recommend getting it running and then swapping to a mk3 cps, or else you will be chasing your tail on this one unless you've done it before.

ls1 coils are cake, take the 6 wires that run to the ignitor (or run them from the ecu itself) and run them straight to the ls1 coils. the coils will also need to be wired for power and ground. thats pretty much it.
Got it, thanks Ali.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...c,21539.0.html
Just click on 30-1100 and 30-1101 and download the pdf.

, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress as soon as all the parts are in and ready to go on. Cant wait to get this pile of stuff off my garage floor.
Old 08-23-10, 04:42 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have access to mitchellondemand5 and alldata. let me know if you need any wireing diagrams. just curious what are the advantages to using ls1 coils instead of toyota
Old 08-23-10, 04:50 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by topdog849
i have access to mitchellondemand5 and alldata. let me know if you need any wireing diagrams. just curious what are the advantages to using ls1 coils instead of toyota
I will let you know, thanks for the heads up. As for TT vs. LS coils, performance wise, I wouldnt really know. But price wise, I can get the LS1 coils pretty cheap and thats why I had considered them.

Last edited by turbodremz; 08-23-10 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-10, 04:52 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

You have swap a couple wires around for the TPS if you want to use the TT ECU.

Let's us know how it goes.
Old 08-24-10, 05:59 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

You have swap a couple wires around for the TPS if you want to use the TT ECU.

Let's us know how it goes.
I was reading about that yesterday, but I have to take a few days off from researching and reading. I have so much crap crammed in my head right now, I had to take a day off work

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-27-10, 09:10 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Any progress Chris? I wil start mine on Sunday.
Old 08-27-10, 09:36 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Any progress Chris? I wil start mine on Sunday.
No not yet, I havent even had a chance to finish up my new ffim or the GTE ecu. I have tendinitis in my knee and havent been able to do much. I will keep you posted.