Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lost on the turbo size to get. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 04:50 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost on the turbo size to get. Please help.

Hey guys, like the title says I am lost on what to be looking for.
Here is a small list of what I am going to be running:
2jz-ge, 272 cams Int/Exh, Full 3" exhaust system, 3" down pipe, 3" intercooler pipping, 4" core intercooler,880 cc injectors,1.3mm MHG, Q45 TB, MSII EMS, and going to be running on pump gas. My goal would be around 500 hp or over to the wheels. I think it's doable but... I can be wrong. Just need to start looking for a turbo for the streets that will be able to do this. I would hope to be around 15-18 LBS of boost. TIA for any suggestions.
Old 10-31-09, 06:06 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Hey guys, like the title says I am lost on what to be looking for.
Here is a small list of what I am going to be running:
2jz-ge, 272 cams Int/Exh, Full 3" exhaust system, 3" down pipe, 3" intercooler pipping, 4" core intercooler,880 cc injectors,1.3mm MHG, Q45 TB, MSII EMS, and going to be running on pump gas. My goal would be around 500 hp or over to the wheels. I think it's doable but... I can be wrong. Just need to start looking for a turbo for the streets that will be able to do this. I would hope to be around 15-18 LBS of boost. TIA for any suggestions.
-67mm DBB or Journal w/.68 or .84 hotside (get the billet PTE6765DBB .84 if ya can afford it)

-mk4 550cc injectors w/resistor

-Denso mk4 tt fuel pump (walbro is trash)

-SAFCII

-18lbs of boost will give you 500+/- to the wheel

buttttttttt since you have 880cc injectors, 4 in interecooler, ems, 272s, yada yada...i would personally suggest a turbo in the 71mm-74mm range. that way you have 500+ to the wheel on pump and mid 700s on race/e85...again, thats just my opinion. Good luck.

-Zeeshaun
Old 10-31-09, 11:05 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

"2jz-ge, 272 cams Int/Exh, Full 3" exhaust system, 3" down pipe, 3" intercooler pipping, 4" core intercooler,880 cc injectors,1.3mm MHG"

keep the standard throttle body and ADD

garrett gt3071r with 1.0 exhaust housing @ 20psi
external wastegate
eboost2
2.5" to intercooler then 3" from intercooler to throttle (speed up the airflow)
adj cam gears
Emanage ultimate Piggyback computer (plugin harness)

looking at about 270rwkw to 300rwkw

Last edited by v8soarer91; 10-31-09 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spel
Old 11-01-09, 07:38 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
keep the standard throttle body and ADD

garrett gt3071r with 1.0 exhaust housing @ 20psi
external wastegate
eboost2
2.5" to intercooler then 3" from intercooler to throttle (speed up the airflow)
adj cam gears
Emanage ultimate Piggyback computer (plugin harness)
Are you serious?!?!

I have no idea why they're telling you to ditch the M/S for a POS piggyback, or why you would recommend not going with a Q45. Adjustable cam gears!?!?!?!!? Even though the M/S isn't as refined with end user software it's still a very capable stand alone if you know the ins and outs.

I think your list is just fine minus the 272s. You might want to consider the 264s, they fit your goals with a more usuable powerband.
You could run a wide range of turbos. GT42s (either of them), 62, 67, 35r, etc. Just figure out what you want your powerband to be.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 11-01-09 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-01-09, 10:39 PM
bjf
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the 264's would be a better choice or maybe even look at the GSC S1's. Imo the pt67 would be a good choice. Its a good all a round turbo and the billet wheel 67 with the correct supporting mods on c16 are making in the mid 700's on the gte but like stated above its all in where you want the power band. Also I would recommend uping to atleast a 3.5" from the dp back.
Old 11-02-09, 02:19 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bjf
I agree that the 264's would be a better choice or maybe even look at the GSC S1's. Imo the pt67 would be a good choice. Its a good all a round turbo and the billet wheel 67 with the correct supporting mods on c16 are making in the mid 700's on the gte but like stated above its all in where you want the power band. Also I would recommend uping to atleast a 3.5" from the dp back.
at 30 psi on e85, the billet 67 made 844 to the rear wheels...yes...on a 67mm, unheard of...
Old 11-02-09, 03:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if i am reading this thread correctly you are trying to setup a ge motor

if correct , there is some mis info being posted in here

cam choices to my knowledge on non vvti motor are from ttc 268deg ( which is what i and wickedsc have) and ttc 280 deg , bc makes 272 and 280 for vvti ge platform.. be careful on rushing in on adding cams to the mix.. if you are not running a mid to large frame turbo , cams can actually hurt you down low unless its a hwy screamer you are going after

as far as engine management , i have said this before and will say it again , on ge powerplant having full , i mean FULL control of timing and fuel and setting up a defined and closley monitered knock map is critical to the longevity of your project lasting .. AEM , Haltech, ems stinger motec are the current choices for standalones

when you say 1.3mm headgasket , are u swapping in gte pistons as well if not and you r using ge pistons , this approach will lower your compression down to about 9:2:1 which is boost friendly , but for 500 rwhp give or take you better make sure you spend the coin for engine management because timing is real critical at that compression...if you are using gte pistons then you are very safe , still need a solid tuine though

make sure you are running 2 pumps wether it be 2 intanks ( which not what i recc or use) or 1 intak and 1 inline , use at least a -6an line from tank to aftermarket larger rail to maintain consistent pressure under sustained boost

2.5 or 3 in intercooler piping is fine , in fact theres a reason why boostlogic provides 2.5 in piping all around ( thats what i use) it promotes better spool and tb response do to the velocity of air moving as opposed to going larger that takes more to fill tube

to hit around 500rwhp on around 18psi , you will need a larger turbo more like a 71mm but your tradeoff will be lag , you really cant have the best of both worlds

although a 67dbb ( and i wouldnt waste my money on billet type unless you plane on running it in the mid 20" as thats its eff range) will spool quick and at about 20psi on a solid tune will get you around 500 ish as thats where i am currently at in the low 500's without the cams in as yet

to me on a 2jz the 67dbb is the perfect street turbo for very usuable power under the curve up to redline ( of course much better to redline when cams go in)
Old 11-02-09, 08:52 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
if i am reading this thread correctly you are trying to setup a ge motor

if correct , there is some mis info being posted in here
Correct it's a 2jz-GE going NA-T

cam choices to my knowledge on non vvti motor are from ttc 268deg ( which is what i and wickedsc have) and ttc 280 deg , bc makes 272 and 280 for vvti ge platform.. be careful on rushing in on adding cams to the mix.. if you are not running a mid to large frame turbo , cams can actually hurt you down low unless its a hwy screamer you are going after
The cams I am getting according to the seller is for a BC 2jz-ge non VVTI 272 cams. I will be getting them in a couple days. I will be installing these on a second head I have. This head will be bored and polished (not by me), BC retainers, BC valves springs, and later on the valves them selves.

as far as engine management , i have said this before and will say it again , on ge powerplant having full , i mean FULL control of timing and fuel and setting up a defined and closley monitered knock map is critical to the longevity of your project lasting .. AEM , Haltech, ems stinger motec are the current choices for standalones
I completely understand this and even though the MS isn't a big as a name on the 2jz boards but it can do it.

when you say 1.3mm headgasket , are u swapping in gte pistons as well if not and you r using ge pistons , this approach will lower your compression down to about 9:2:1 which is boost friendly , but for 500 rwhp give or take you better make sure you spend the coin for engine management because timing is real critical at that compression...if you are using gte pistons then you are very safe , still need a solid tuine though
I will be getting some H rods in there and some gte pistons before I start boosting to where I would like to be. At the moment I am gathering parts and trying to have a complete list to get to my goal.

make sure you are running 2 pumps wether it be 2 intanks ( which not what i recc or use) or 1 intak and 1 inline , use at least a -6an line from tank to aftermarket larger rail to maintain consistent pressure under sustained boost
2.5 or 3 in intercooler piping is fine , in fact theres a reason why boostlogic provides 2.5 in piping all around ( thats what i use) it promotes better spool and tb response do to the velocity of air moving as opposed to going larger that takes more to fill tube

to hit around 500rwhp on around 18psi , you will need a larger turbo more like a 71mm but your tradeoff will be lag , you really cant have the best of both worlds
I understand that lag will be there for higher HP numbers or less lag and less HP (usually)
although a 67dbb ( and i wouldnt waste my money on billet type unless you plane on running it in the mid 20" as thats its eff range) will spool quick and at about 20psi on a solid tune will get you around 500 ish as thats where i am currently at in the low 500's without the cams in as yet
to me on a 2jz the 67dbb is the perfect street turbo for very usuable power under the curve up to redline ( of course much better to redline when cams go in)
so the T67 seems to be a good choice... most people on here agree on that size turbo.

Thank you guys for your input so far and more would be helpful.
Old 11-02-09, 09:08 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Are you serious?!?!

I have no idea why they're telling you to ditch the M/S for a POS piggyback, or why you would recommend not going with a Q45. Adjustable cam gears!?!?!?!!? Even though the M/S isn't as refined with end user software it's still a very capable stand alone if you know the ins and outs.

I think your list is just fine minus the 272s. You might want to consider the 264s, they fit your goals with a more usuable powerband.
You could run a wide range of turbos. GT42s (either of them), 62, 67, 35r, etc. Just figure out what you want your powerband to be.
That's what I was thinking too. LOL
I will look have to make a choice soon on when I would like the boost to kick in.
Originally Posted by bjf
I'm guessing the 272's are too aggressive for a street car. If I had the gte.. I might have let it sit stock.

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
at 30 psi on e85, the billet 67 made 844 to the rear wheels...yes...on a 67mm, unheard of...
holly crap those are some insane numbers.
Old 11-02-09, 10:02 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLDriver

holly crap those are some insane numbers.

Actually I'm hoping to break that number. The MKIV I just finished for a customer made 724 at 23 pds with a slipping clutch on the corn.... semi-tuned

If I were you I'd mate the TTC 268s with a 35R or a 62, stock TT H/G with some ARP bolts and take it to town. You don't want to do TT pistons with a TT H/G on an NA head because of the design of the combustion chamber. Either do the TT pistons with stock size NA MLS H/G, or TT H/G with forged stock NA pistons.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 11-02-09 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 10:17 AM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

gt3071?

Not huge amount of lag, good power.

If you're sliding it, it won't be as quick to the punch as a gt2835 but you can just slightly hold the brake after the apex and slam the pedal to the ground creating MONSTER smoke.

HA. :P goodluck bro!