Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

!NEED HELP! misfiring??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 05:28 PM
khmersta
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down !NEED HELP! misfiring??

I recently when under a tune up after a recent bad battery explosion went off on me but now i've ran into another problem. I recently changed my battery of course, rebuilt the alternator, replaced distributor cap rotor and o-ring, checked sparks and wires all of them working in god condition. Car starts up perfectly fine but after it warms up it start to misfire i guess a more of boop boop sound every now and then till it dies off. Also when i rev it up it will also have the same misfiring i suppose. So far im going to check fuel pump,filter, injectors. Also its a NA 2j auto. Any body got some suggestions or advice?? Anyone else have a similar problem?? thanks
Old 10-04-09, 10:30 PM
kevro
Pole Position

i once bought an aftermarket distributer cap, and like an idiot I assumed the plug numbers on it were correct. they werent, car barely ran but i could get it to go even 55 mph, i scratched my head for hours and then started removing plugs to see which wire had no imopact, there were tow. switched them and bam. car purred like a kitten. may or may not be your problem. I was really annoyed that I did something that stupid and even worse it took forever to sort out.
gl.
Kevin
Old 10-04-09, 11:17 PM
khmersta
Rookie

thanks for the advice but im pretty sure wires are plugged in right. haven't found problem yet gonna recheck sparks in each cylinder again for a faulty spark if any.
Old 10-05-09, 12:40 AM
kevro
Pole Position

im sure youre familiar with the pull one then run to see if it affects, first place id start, especially with the na intake mani. just pull them at the distrib. and when you find one that has no affect, dont assume its the only one.
Kevin
Old 10-05-09, 05:19 PM
khmersta
Rookie

yup done that test too man each cylinder had same results from unplugging them one at a time. so far stuck in the same spot. I am gonna buy new wires anyways since i do notice there is some wear on them. Any other suggestion since i am gonna pull that intake mani off. Ive cleaned out the throttle and checked fuel system, still haven't found the culprit.
Old 10-05-09, 10:15 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Possible dirty mas air flow sensor hot wire, bad ignition wires and plugs, leak in air intake tube. All of those will cause drivability and idle issues. Do you have a check engine light?
Old 10-05-09, 11:06 PM
khmersta
Rookie

No CEL on. Gonna check the MAF tomorrow might be dirty considering the condition of other parts are in. New spark wires coming in tomorrow also hopefully it helps.
Old 10-06-09, 03:07 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vacuum leak?
Old 02-11-10, 10:49 AM
sc300Super
Rookie

Originally Posted by khmersta
No CEL on. Gonna check the MAF tomorrow might be dirty considering the condition of other parts are in. New spark wires coming in tomorrow also hopefully it helps.
I'm having same problems, 4,5,6 are misfiring. Did you solved the issue? Please help guys.

Thanks
Old 04-05-10, 06:20 AM
ncountry
Driver School Candidate

kevro- your post about the mislabeled after market distributor cap was a huge help. I followed your suggestion and it solved my problem 100%. Next stop was the dealer $$$- thanks!
Old 04-05-10, 01:55 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

khmersta, did you ever figure out the issue? You said you replaced the distributor o-ring so maybe the timing could have been thrown off when you re-installed the distributor.
Old 04-06-10, 04:23 PM
khmersta
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheMole
khmersta, did you ever figure out the issue? You said you replaced the distributor o-ring so maybe the timing could have been thrown off when you re-installed the distributor.
old thread but yea, it was the timing on the sparks the whole time,

EX: first cylinder should be cranked to TDC mark (top dead center) same time the spark should be hitting first cylinder spark plug- does that make sense haha.
There should be a thread on this somewhere.

yea my buddy was being un-aware of that so i had to back track his steps, and me being lazy to not put back the distributor cap back myself lol

hope that helped.