Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cost concerns for 1JZ swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 06:32 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost concerns for 1JZ swap

Okay so my 1993 SC300 Manual has 165,000ish miles on it which I've read is too much for forced induction. What I'm looking at is the classic 1JZGTE swap but I'm concerned about cost. Will I only need what comes in the long block from who ever I buy the engine from or will I need alot of other random parts? How much does the instal usually cost? would it be cheaper/equally effective to just buy a new 2JZGE engine and get an NA-T kit? Would my current transmission be able to handle the added power of a NA-T setup?

I'm sorry to ask all of these questions but I've been searching for this info but haven't been able to find them. If it's been answered before can you please point me in the right direction?
Old 07-07-09, 07:26 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did my 1jz swap for around 3k total. It was 2500 for the engine, and all accessories (ignitor, ECU, harness, etc.), and then another 500 for extra stuff like extra tools, fluids, maintenance items, and the cost to rent the hoist and everything. I did the swap myself though, so I'm not sure how much labor would cost. I would imagine another couple thousand.
Old 07-07-09, 09:11 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High miles doesn't mean you can't turbo the motor. You just need to verify that the motor is healthy by performing a compression test and leak down test.

Helps to know that the motor has been maintained as well. Lexus sometimes will pull up the service history for you if they're cool.
Old 07-09-09, 12:53 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for asking the question... engines cost differently depending where you live.

I live in Cali where 1JZ's are everywhere... only problem is we have smog laws
Old 07-09-09, 07:19 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I recently purchased my 1J from JHot and it had a ton of extras/needed stuff. for 1300+275 to ship. Mine was the lower milage one of the group they got in so the others may be cheaper. I just got new clutch,flywheel,misc stuff so add a about 500 if you dont need the clutch and flywheel.
Old 07-10-09, 12:25 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

I'd also factor in the cost of proper pre installation prep- you can just pop in a random jdm motor and if your luck is good....

But if you are hard in your stuff or don't want to risk a possibly dead or dying motor, then a full rebuild would always be suggested.

Head gasket issues, secondhand mystery water/oil pump, used overboosted turbos, etc etc.

People mobb in jz powered cars whenever they get a chance to- check for center thrust washer wear on the crankshaft if it's a 5mt- espically with aftermarket clutch.

Jhot is an ideal place to start if you are budgeting a full rebuild. If you want to pop a used jdm motor into your car and expect it to function with the instant reliability of a healthy mk4 tt- you are probably in over your head.

Expenses on keeping a random swap jdm motor add up quickly over time....... Done waaay too many swaps personally and have suffered due to oversight many times