Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

which engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 11:25 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which engine swap

i have a 5 speed sc300 that i wanted to do a swap to. i have money but not enough for the 2j swap. then i was playing around with the idea of swapping a 1uzfe into the bay with the w58, but i searched and didnt find much info. maybe i didnt look hard enough? then i obviously considered doing the 1jz swap with the r154...then i also considered just going na-t (my motor has 197xxx miles, if i were to do it i would rebuild it)
- so i have a list of questions in 3 sections.

A. on the 1uz swap, im guessing the w58 does not bolt up to the engine.
- would the r154 bolt up to it?
- would the w58 even be strong enough for 8 cylinders supercharged?
- and going supercharged...is it a cheaper option then the 1jz swap and the na-t swap?

B. ive heard many rumors about the 1jz swap. i want to buy a soarer 1jz engine and tranny. ive heard that you cant use the driveshaft currently in the sc300 because it doesnt bolt up. ive also heard of other problems with the swap in general, like electrical problems, master cylider, either safc, standalone, map ecu, etc.

like, does anyone have a list of known problems in swapping a soarer 1jz, r154, ecu? wiring harness (needs to be stretched) and u need to buy a water pump and timing belt, i know that bit. everything else im getting mixed info.

c. NA-t. ive heard all kinds of things. first i heard that you can make the w58 strong enough as a r154, yet dont understand how thats cheaper then getting a soarer r154, and how it works really.
- so if u change the tranny to an r154, dont u need a custom driveshaft like u do on the 1j swap? yet nobody talks about that.
- does the xspower turbo kit really work? it is sold on ebay and im wondering if i can trust it or not. it says its banned on supraforums.
- and can u rebuild the engine with 2jzgte internals? (ie the camshafts, pistons, rods, crankshaft, valve and springs, intake manifold, valve cover, etc.)

im really sorry for the amount of questions but id rather put it into one thread. this is probably going to be moved to a tech thread but this place gets more traffic, and a quicker response. id rather know the answer 100% before i dive into it and lose money like my brother did on his sr swap, that still isnt ready (its been since february)

Last edited by SCjzz; 08-19-08 at 11:26 PM. Reason: its a lotta info, ish happens
Old 08-19-08, 11:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 08-19-08, 11:34 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Others will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but 1uz will probably be the worst option if you have any sort of budget. The guys like K95 and scotturnot have spent very impressive bounties to supercharge their car and it does put them in an exclusive class of nice performing sc400's, but it has definitely come at a premium to their pocketbook. It will be interesting to see the answers on the other two options, I personally just picked up a 1jz swapped sc300, but that is just because I felt I got a good deal on it.
Old 08-21-08, 03:19 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so the 1uz option is completely out of the picture.

i really need some answers on the 1z swap because i am almost 70% sure ill do that one.