Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone changed their head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 06:56 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone changed their head gasket?

I'm tackling this job coming weekend.

Do i have to remove the cams and cam gears? i only want to change the head gasket ,so i'm wondering if its possible to skip some parts like removing the cams,valves,ps pump etc

I just dont have much time to do it,and need to get it done asap.The manual goes into great detail ,but man theres just too much small stuff that need to be adressed

BTW i did the search,and only got so far.

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-23-08, 07:00 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, the cams and cam gears have to be removed.

You dont need to remove the valves to remove the head off the block.
Old 09-23-08, 07:14 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

honestly i've never once blown my head gasket but as a technician i've done well over a hundred of them on the 2jz motors.....cams must come off p/s gets taken off too... no choice, valves don't get taken off though.... but yeah there really insnt much you can do to make it a shortcut....just make sure your head shop has time to do the head work... usually its a 2 day job at the shop and don't forget to shim it....
Old 09-24-08, 02:05 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Well i just got this car , so i couldnt take care of it like it should have.When i got this car there was brown foam everywhere under the overflow tank.So i flushed the coolant lines,and changed it. 3 days ago my car started to overheat and there was no water flow in the lower radiator hose,yet the top hose was burning up,so i stopped at the Advance autoparts and added lots of water.Then i started pumping the lower hose, and the passage has opened up , so the temps went down to normal since.So yesterday i turn the car on and theres white smoke coming out of my exhaust. So by now i'm sure its the head gasket right?

I start the car today and voala theres no smoke again,and the oil dipstick seems to be clean.

Now i'm going to go to autostore and get the coolant tester.I'm hoping it IS the head gasket because i want to fix it and not to guess anymore,but then again i can use this money to do a 5 speed conversion.

Anyway, has anyone know what it could be?
Old 09-24-08, 02:33 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The white smoke and being low on coolant certainly sounds like a headgasket.

This would be a good opportunity to eliminate all of the emissions stuff now while the car is apart, too.
Old 09-24-08, 02:45 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gunnar
The white smoke and being low on coolant certainly sounds like a headgasket.

This would be a good opportunity to eliminate all of the emissions stuff now while the car is apart, too.

WOW you have read my mind,lol

I was day dreaming at work today about removing the emissions stuff.Do you know what exactly needs to be removed? I searched about the blockoff plates and capping the TB, but is it easy to spot the egr lines? What about VSV for Evap? or VSV for EGR?

I already removed the Charcoal canister and vented my gas cap,before that there was a wiff of gass fumes that tried to kill me when i opened my gas cap.I think since i vented the cap,i get better gas mileage,but not too sure though.

I love clean engine bay
Old 09-24-08, 10:11 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

maybe nice to eliminate the emissions but if you have to smog the car then i wouldn't recommend it.......
Old 09-25-08, 10:34 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
WOW you have read my mind,lol

I was day dreaming at work today about removing the emissions stuff.Do you know what exactly needs to be removed? I searched about the blockoff plates and capping the TB, but is it easy to spot the egr lines? What about VSV for Evap? or VSV for EGR?

I already removed the Charcoal canister and vented my gas cap,before that there was a wiff of gass fumes that tried to kill me when i opened my gas cap.I think since i vented the cap,i get better gas mileage,but not too sure though.

I love clean engine bay
I sure do. I have pretty much everything out of my engine bay. It's nice only having a few vacuum lines in the entire thing, cleans it up a bunch.

^ I used this to figure out what all I'd be able to eliminate and how to route things afterwards. I ended up with this.

Plus a line for my MAP sensor and boost gauge, and another line for the blow-off valve.

Feel free to PM me or message me on AIM for more specific questions, I'm always glad to help, I have more specific pictures and such.
Old 09-25-08, 01:41 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Gunnar this is exactly what i need. I apreshiate it very much man.

So all the lines that are marked red can be removed,and green will stay right?

So what did you use to block the holes? Block off plates?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On the different subject, i just purchased the BHG blue DIE tester from napa autoparts ,but it doesnt have any instructions

So i add this die into my radiator? Or do i drain the radiator into a seperate container and then mix the coolant with DIE?

Thank you guys for the help
Old 09-25-08, 10:56 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

i take it you guys don't worry about smog then eh? the dye goes in a tube that covers the hole where the cap for the radiator goes and then the bubbles change the color....... from what you said sounds like your thermostat was stuck b4 it over heated......