Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 09:15 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this searching

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
The car will check to see if the fuel system is intact. It will pressurize the system and check for leaks. If there is a leak found it will turn on the "check engine" light and store a DTC in the ECU. Log and short of it. No light, no problem.
I did find a injector leaking and replaced the o-ring, is there any truth to this? I cant say for sure if I have a code because the CEL is on because the EGR is removed. I tried disconecting the battery and reconecting but nothing changed. Any Ideas?
Old 04-17-07, 09:16 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CleanCL
if it's 18 then its running LEAN not rich. and that is VERY lean. i only assume you are putting in the best 93 octane you can find. check your fuel pressure regulator.
How do I check it? the rich smell was a small fuel leak. Its so lean it wont hardly Idle.
Old 04-17-07, 09:46 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, lean is a big problem...Watch out for anything beyond 13...danger zone. You can blow a head gasket in a hearbeat, or worse...I believe you are experiencing the ECU readjusting itself to your setup. My car did the same thing...Remember, I was set to a max of 8-9 lbs., and I also ran lean very quickly...DID you add a Rising rate FPR? or any kind of additional fuel pressure? I do not recall from your set up...But, based upon my experience, the stock fuel system will not handle 7 lbs of boost safely...DID you hook up the piggy-back and tune it? If not try that, you are going to need fuel, and probably adjust timing....Even if you did add fuel by added fuel pressure, the Lexus ECU will attempt to compensate...Also, I had the problem of idling rich, and running lean at WOT...but I was untuned on the stock engine...

Once you tune it, be prepared to make a few adjustments until the ECU has learned it, then you should be good to go with the piggy-back.

Keep us posted of your progress...

Ryan
Old 04-18-07, 06:03 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Scott, lean is a big problem...Watch out for anything beyond 13...danger zone. You can blow a head gasket in a hearbeat, or worse...I believe you are experiencing the ECU readjusting itself to your setup. My car did the same thing...Remember, I was set to a max of 8-9 lbs., and I also ran lean very quickly...DID you add a Rising rate FPR? or any kind of additional fuel pressure? I do not recall from your set up...But, based upon my experience, the stock fuel system will not handle 7 lbs of boost safely...DID you hook up the piggy-back and tune it? If not try that, you are going to need fuel, and probably adjust timing....Even if you did add fuel by added fuel pressure, the Lexus ECU will attempt to compensate...Also, I had the problem of idling rich, and running lean at WOT...but I was untuned on the stock engine...

Once you tune it, be prepared to make a few adjustments until the ECU has learned it, then you should be good to go with the piggy-back.

Keep us posted of your progress...

Ryan
Ryan,
I would agree that lean is a big problem but this is beyond lean, this is like its running out of gas. I would buy that the cars ECU is trying to adjust but not to the point that it would shut off the fuel. There has to be something else going on here, the car was running perfect and had good air fuel numbers then instantly went bad. I don’t even know where to start.

I do have a piggy back but have not made adjustments with it, the way the car is running right now it would be impossible to try.
I also have a Rising rate FPR but have not installed it yet. Every thing I read says the cars ECU will compensate up to 6-7lbs boost. Its not like I was going to run it without adjusting on it but I cant even do that now.
Old 04-18-07, 07:59 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would definetly try the following...

1) smell to find the leak. if you cant find it, check the exhaust, any smoke? color, odor etc.

2) install the adjustable FPR and richen the mixture

3) check any vacuum lines to see if they were blown off. I know on my turbo camry, my map sensor kept blowing off and made the car run crappy.

4) get it tuned ASAP

5) get rid of you CEL asap

6) im done haha

i hope you find some of the problems, but i would definetly not trust the car to compensate for 6-7lbs of boost, tune it!
Old 04-18-07, 08:40 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
i would definetly try the following...

1) smell to find the leak. if you cant find it, check the exhaust, any smoke? color, odor etc.

2) install the adjustable FPR and richen the mixture

3) check any vacuum lines to see if they were blown off. I know on my turbo camry, my map sensor kept blowing off and made the car run crappy.

4) get it tuned ASAP

5) get rid of you CEL asap

6) im done haha

i hope you find some of the problems, but i would definetly not trust the car to compensate for 6-7lbs of boost, tune it!

1) Found the leak and fixed it, no smoke.

2) Will do it but with the car not running its near imposible to adjust.

3) Checked lines, all intact.

4) Its in the works.

5) Been trying, the resistor didnt work. when you unplug the six wire plug from the EGR the CEL comes on instantly. 97?

It will be tunned but it has to be running to tune.
Old 04-18-07, 09:11 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just put in a 1:1 FPR and bump up the pressure just a little and get a walboro fuel pump.

but yea, it sounds like a line blew off or something by the way you described. how it was working fine and then not instantly. very strange, you might have to pull everything off and reinstall again. thats kind of how it goes with projects like this. good luck man.
Old 04-18-07, 09:31 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

why not just put in a 1:1 FPR and bump up the pressure just a little and get a walboro fuel pump.

but yea, it sounds like a line blew off or something by the way you described. how it was working fine and then not instantly. very strange, you might have to pull everything off and reinstall again. thats kind of how it goes with projects like this. good luck man.
I will do this but I really need to figure out what went wrong first. I hate to start changing stuff before I having running right or I wont have any idea where I'm at. I just wish I knew what was wrong.
Old 04-18-07, 01:48 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

this might be stupid, but did you check your wideband connection? maybe something happened to it.

and if nothing is visible from the outside, do a compression test.
Old 04-18-07, 02:02 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I will do this but I really need to figure out what went wrong first. I hate to start changing stuff before I having running right or I wont have any idea where I'm at. I just wish I knew what was wrong.
You mentioned that it ran fine until gassing up. Maybe some garbage built up from sitting so long, and it got dislodged and caused a blockage. Can you measure the fuel pressure at the injectors? What if you disconnected the line before the fuel rails and checked to see if there's much flow into a container when you switch on the ignition... You might get lucky and solve the problem with just a new fuel filter.

-=Photon=-
Old 04-18-07, 07:32 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

if it's 18 then its running LEAN not rich. and that is VERY lean. i only assume you are putting in the best 93 octane you can find. check your fuel pressure regulator.
Agreed, a very lean condition will smell funkey, more so w/ a cat installed.
Is the vacuum hose still attached to the FPR? (on that topic zip tie
ALL you vacuum hoses on) On the side of your FPR there should be a
small plug to remove & in stall a fuel gauge on it.

Need more info & it's late here. Are you @ 18 A/F idle/ driving or just under
load/ boost? When you changed your fuel pump any chance of debis getting
into the tank & now its stuck to the fuel pump? (stirred up after putting in
gas)
Old 04-18-07, 07:46 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
Agreed, a very lean condition will smell funkey, more so w/ a cat installed.
Is the vacuum hose still attached to the FPR? (on that topic zip tie
ALL you vacuum hoses on) On the side of your FPR there should be a
small plug to remove & in stall a fuel gauge on it.

Need more info & it's late here. Are you @ 18 A/F idle/ driving or just under
load/ boost? When you changed your fuel pump any chance of debis getting
into the tank & now its stuck to the fuel pump? (stirred up after putting in
gas)

I have not installed my pump or FPR yet, I am going to do that as soon as its running right.

The 18 came after the problem before that my A/F numbers looked great.

I took it to a local toyota dealer, they hooked it up on a can of injector cleaner and it ran a lot better off the can, they said one plug is down, could be from the lean condition?
Tomorrow they are going to check fuel pressure and if it is good they are going to drain my tank to see if I might have got bad fuel. My fingers are crossed.
Old 04-19-07, 01:11 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Scott,
You got a very nice setup there, but you also ran into a problem. Your fuel setup is totally not up to the task. Even 5lb of boost still needs some sorts of fuel enrichment on most cars that aren't made for forced induction, and """Don't trust anyone who said this stock ECU can compensate the fuel for the boost.""""

I'm sorry to say but you might have had a detonation already without you knowing it. You might even caused some dents on the top pistons if you're running stock pistons. I've been turbocharging on Honda cars for years & many readings on other cars as well, I know this might happen. The same concept applies the same. Please remember this, on most cars, the max fuel increased by the stock ECU is usually within 20% larger than stock. And you're running 7 psi of boost, you can calculate how much more HP you're making over stock, not to say what if this ECU doesn't compensate like that.

The quickest way to make sure your engine is safe is to at least install a rising rate FMU and a hi-flow hi-pressure fuel pump. If you run a FMU and keep the stock pump or just the hi-flow pump, it doesn't help. I haven't seen any failure with this setup for around 7 psi, unless some parts broke.

As regard to the EGR (and I'm new to this EGR deletion), you may contact David (Lextreme) at www.lextreme.com. He has a EGR delete kit for the SC400. I've seen several people use it succesfully and myself will get 1 from him soon.

Please post up any news. I really want to see it run successfully.
Old 04-19-07, 06:30 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

you probably blew the gap off the plugs. i hope you are using colder plugs.

also, have people in the past installed this kit with the stock fuel system? i can't see this working at all.
Old 04-19-07, 06:50 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Scott,
You got a very nice setup there, but you also ran into a problem. Your fuel setup is totally not up to the task. Even 5lb of boost still needs some sorts of fuel enrichment on most cars that aren't made for forced induction, and """Don't trust anyone who said this stock ECU can compensate the fuel for the boost.""""

I'm sorry to say but you might have had a detonation already without you knowing it. You might even caused some dents on the top pistons if you're running stock pistons. I've been turbocharging on Honda cars for years & many readings on other cars as well, I know this might happen. The same concept applies the same. Please remember this, on most cars, the max fuel increased by the stock ECU is usually within 20% larger than stock. And you're running 7 psi of boost, you can calculate how much more HP you're making over stock, not to say what if this ECU doesn't compensate like that.

The quickest way to make sure your engine is safe is to at least install a rising rate FMU and a hi-flow hi-pressure fuel pump. If you run a FMU and keep the stock pump or just the hi-flow pump, it doesn't help. I haven't seen any failure with this setup for around 7 psi, unless some parts broke.

As regard to the EGR (and I'm new to this EGR deletion), you may contact David (Lextreme) at www.lextreme.com. He has a EGR delete kit for the SC400. I've seen several people use it succesfully and myself will get 1 from him soon.

Please post up any news. I really want to see it run successfully.

I feel like you guys are not hearing me. I have done a lot of research on this subject. My A/F numbers were good before I had this problem. At WOT I had a A/F ratio ofabout 12/1 at normal driving (no boost) I had a ratio of around 14/1. These from everything I gathered are good numbers.

I am upgrading my fuel delivery system along with boost increase but according to everything I read and my A/F results the stock fuel system is capable. I said the stock system is supossed to work up to 7lbs boost, I have a 6 lb pulley so my current boost is 6lbs.

Here are some quotes from my reaserch. If you search at Lextreme you will find tons of these same claims.

Andrew at Richwood Technologies (they are the makers of this kit)

“To answer all your questions, the kit is design to use all standard injectors, throttle body, mass flow and standard computer, the semi kit comes with the 6lb pulley, the standard computer will self tune and handle that.

There is no need for an intercooler, you may wish to run 95 or higher on the fuel octane, there is also no need for engine upgrades at this point.

When you do decide to upgrade your boost, the M90 will give you up to 10lb, then we can supply you a smaller drive pulley, you will need an after market piggy back tuner, ie; Unichip or similar, that will handle the fuel and ignition increase, still no need to change your fuel pump.

You can if you wish look at running a water injection set-up, Aquatune make a good unit, if you wish you can look at headers, and cams as an addition HP gain, the stock engine components handle relatively high boost.

The set-up remains very reliable, as far as fuel economy, I guess that depends on your right boot, with the bypass we install, part throttle and highway cruising mean you are not on boost and the engine and car handle as normal.

Regards
Andrew”

Damien from Lextreme Sydney Australia
“With only 7PSI stock injectors are fine as that's what the ECU is set to use so by plugging in 315's you'll be over fuelling it if you haven't trimmed it in the piggyback.

There are a lot of M90 equipped Soarers here in Aus running 6-7PSI with no changes to injectors or ECU and they run great.

What colour is the inside of the exhaust tips? Black or light grey? What about the spark plugs?”

I could dig up more on this subject but what’s the point, I know what numbers I had before my problem arose.

Thanks for all the input, I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Quick Reply: 97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project