Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What year is best to go turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 01:51 PM
Generic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year is best to go turbo?

I'm going to be getting a SC300 very soon, and want to do a turbo kit, and then later possibly a TT engine swap

So, is there anything I should look for that would make the turbo kit easier? 5-spd, Automatic? any particular year? Anything you can provide would be great, thanks.

Murdock
Old 10-15-01, 04:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well some help i can offer is... don't bother with the engine swap; its pretty much a waste of $10,000 when you could have built your 2jz block to handle ungodly amounts of power...

the stock 2jz-ge can handle around 700rwhp with nitrous i'm told so its a plenty strong performer...
there is a multitude of turbo kits out there; i plan on sourcing my own together for a better price... but the consensus is (i've also seen their quality firsthand) is that Toyomoto is the best overall for quality; although they are a lot more expensive... like $5500 not installed and that comes with a stock sidemount and a small T04E turbo
there is also fmax which has a better price but from what i've seen and been told their exhaust manifold SUCCCCKKSS...

get the 5-speed if you can; it will save a lot of trouble later... it is a lot easier to do the 6-speed swap with it since the clutch master cylinder and clutch box, etc are already in place... if you're going to make more than 400rwhp then you're going to need to get a tranny swap... that would be about 12psi on a T60-1 turbo give or take a couple psi and depending on your setup... you can run a HKS VPC and free up a lot of power or run a stand alone Haltech E6K computer which requires installation and tuning... but it costs about the same overall as a VPC..

with all that and a front mount intercooler (gotta pay extra on the toyomoto kit to get it) at 18psi should net nearly 500rwhp... with race gas the boost can be turned up even more...
of course you'll need more fuel upgrades like bigger injectors and twin fuel pumps, and exhaust, but thats a given...

best year imo is the 95-96 model since its tranny tunnel does not require modification to fit the 6-speed from the SupraTT...

but there's no reason to do the TT swap unless you just got money laying around like that; which most people don't... you can make more power easier and almost as reliable for less than half the cost... as installation and purchase of a SupraTT engine and drivetrain will cost you well over $15000

SC300TURBO has had his kit from Toyomoto now for 2 years... he recently dynoed 495rwhp and 492ft-lbs of torque on stock cams and i'm presuming a stock head... the only trouble he had was with the clutch exploding on him because it and the 5-speed transmission weren't strong enough to handle the power... now he's running a 6-speed with a limited-slip from a SupraTT as well... I saw his car at NOPI in the BFGoodrich booth; his car is impeccable; and I've heard stories of what it did on the interstate saturday night of the NOPI weekend lol

Last edited by Bean; 10-15-01 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-15-01, 07:16 PM
Generic
Rookie

Yea, I discovered after that post that the stock block could handle what I wanted, so thats good

I already emailed Toyomoto about their kit, I'm interested. Other good manufacturers of kits?

As for the tranny, the auto just won't do it eh? I'm not really big on a stick, as I want to bracket race, and that makes it tough But, if it will hold the power, and the AT won't, I guess I Will

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you'll see more of me.

Turbos

OK, so I can do the toyomoto (what, $5,500 for a small turbo?)
Do they have other options?

What about build my own? I have a Supra Friend here (John S.) who is putting down over 650RWHP, he knows how to build these things, think we could do our own thing without a lot of custom fabbing for less?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how I want to do this

Murdock

Last edited by Generic; 10-16-01 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 06:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

ok just so you know, Supra cars arent drag cars... they are highway speed demons... but not drag cars...

they don't hook well at all, etc...

you can build an auto to handle it i'm very positive; in fact you can use a built auto from a SupraTT...

and don't worry about the custom fabbing; your friend may be good but he's not good enough to make a GOOD manifold and prolly not good enough to make a downpipe and intercooler piping to work with the turbo

what i plan on doing is buying a T60-1 turbo from turbonetics, buying the exhaust manifold that i need from toyomoto, buy the intercooler piping for the fmic... buy my own custom fmic which will be custom sized to fit the piping, buy the toyomoto downpipe, an HKS Supersequential BOV, a 3mm metal head gasket... and then prolly a VPC with a MKIII Supra chip in it for 550cc injectors, then a twin fuel pump setup... and i'll source my own external wastegate... as i also plan on making a custom dump tube for it in case i want to externally vent it

but all the custom fab work i'm buying from toyomoto because of their quality that i've seen firsthand

Other turbokits available are Fmax, Sound-Performance, and Powerhouse Racing

Last edited by Bean; 10-16-01 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 06:43 AM
Generic
Rookie

I was just thinking about fabbing the FMIC etc. I have no intentions of trying to fab the manifold, that would be crazy!
So, the do it ourselves thing is feasible, thats good, I'll keep looking at options though.

Have websites for f-max and sound performance? I've already emailed Powerhouse. Sounds like f-max should be avoided though.

As for the drag thing, its not that they aren't good drag cars, its that people don't build them that way. I want to build it with a smaller Turbo thats good for light to light and 1/4 mile. I personally don't race much from 70+ so, its not a big deal. Granted, I'd LOVE to put down 600RWHP, but I'd much rather have about 500 and have it come on lower

I'm coming from a 1999 Grand Prix GTP with a super strong low end (i.e. from 0-50 not much can touch it except AWD), so I know its going to be a big change, but I'm still going to try and build it to be a good light to light car.

Would the supra AT swap be about as easy as a 6 speed swap? Sometimes I like the idea of the 6-spd, but I'd prefer an AT.

Oh, and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You are helping a LOT. I got serious about this about last Friday, so I've done a lot of self education in the last few days, and you are helping a LOT.

Murdock
Old 10-17-01, 01:30 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

hey np

The Supra Auto would be harder than the 6-speed because it is electric... but i'm sure there's a way around it... the places that can build your tranny can prolly hook you up with some info on it...

as far as being drag cars is, yeah people try to drag them... but they aren't drag cars because of the multilink suspension and anti-squat geometry... its going to spin like a ****** when you make that kind of power... and if you use slicks, you can blow up the drivetrain if you aren't careful

I plan on focusing on midrange races... like 40mph rollons

I believe fmax's kit is, http://www.f-max.com
its listed as $5500 but I've found it for $4600 at rollhard.com
the kit is great from what i've seen EXCEPT for the manifold... and you would prolly want a bigger turbo; although the turbo that the companies offer is a GOOD turbo; its just not near the size of a T60-1... 3" inlet vs 4" inlet

the turbo is so big it will scare your friends and swallow their children
Old 10-19-01, 01:02 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i reccommend a 95 lexus sc300 5spd.......OBDi and 5psd fits a 6spd with no issues.....and newest......i also reccommend a toyomoto turbo kit...for 7500 you can get a stage 1.5 with everything to boost 10psi on stock compression.....sc300t pulled a 12.70@116 on street tires with this set up....very straight forward install .....you can piece it together but i reccommend spending the cash and getting everything you need....toyomoto can do a front mount or side mount...what ever you like.....they have been turbocharging the sc300 since 1993....i have had mine for 2 yrs from them...and love it...Jeff
Old 10-19-01, 01:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

aww thanks man... i must have the perfect car then
Old 09-02-03, 01:56 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so now you have me interested, and I definately don't have the funds to go turbo (but would LOVE to!! ). So why can't you opt for the less expensive f-max and purchase a toymoto manifold in place of their p.o.s. manifold??
Old 09-02-03, 05:28 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

For the previous asked question that I don't believe was answered:
www.sound-performance.com
Old 09-02-03, 05:45 PM
Coolstr85
Rookie

hey bean, in the end, about how much has it costed u to come up with the full turbo kit?
Old 09-04-03, 03:46 PM
RenovaJz30
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 5speed, what part of tranning tunnel need to be modifiy?
Old 09-04-03, 03:50 PM
RenovaJz30
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 5speed, what part of tranning tunnel need to be modifiy for the 6spd swap?
Old 09-04-03, 05:23 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually wouldn't '97 (not '97.5) be the best year? It has larger tranny tunel, updated body kit, updated dash, and also comes with 5 speed. It comes with OBDII computer, but so does '96 and if you're doing any hevy moding you will go with AEM EMS.

I also want to dispute that the engine swap is more expencive... I started the process and it seems it will be actually cheaper for me. I'm bought whole Supra TT clip and will be swapping everything including the 6 speed manual into my automatic '97 SC300. Looking at the cost of parts and labor seems like the engine swap will get you around 400 rwhp also.

Chris